Chumpstomper

Best month to ride Winter Park

Forum 70 netizens

Me and some fellow Minnesooootans are going to make a trip to Winter Park this Summer. What month do you recommend for our trip? We want to be able to ride every trail without portaging across snowbanks and such. It will be important to me to dash up to Rollins pass on the old rail grade and I know that snow sticks around up there a long while.

Thanks
    Mark

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperClydesdale
    Forum 70 netizens

Me and some fellow Minnesooootans are going to make a trip to Winter Park this Summer. What month do you recommend for our trip? We want to be able to ride every trail without portaging across snowbanks and such. It will be important to me to dash up to Rollins pass on the old rail grade and I know that snow sticks around up there a long while.

Thanks
    Mark
    July or August would be ideal. June's probably fine, but the snowpack's heavy this year.

mtbr member

Good job!

September's pretty nice too.

trail waggler

Maybe July, August better...

For any riding around Rollins Pass. But you have to start in Ned, and ride over, the trestles and climbing are truly epic!!

BTW, I met Jeff Austin and Dave Johnson when they were 'just' jamming at Acoustic Coffee in Ned, truly some amazing talent!!! (Also saw Tony Furtado and Sally Van Meter playing for tips at the Tungsten Grill, werd!!)

Chumpstomper
    Quote Originally Posted by daveM
    For any riding around Rollins Pass. But you have to start in Ned, and ride over, the trestles and climbing are truly epic!!

BTW, I met Jeff Austin and Dave Johnson when they were 'just' jamming at Acoustic Coffee in Ned, truly some amazing talent!!! (Also saw Tony Furtado and Sally Van Meter playing for tips at the Tungsten Grill, werd!!)
    Dave

How do you know that I am waaay into YMSB? Funny. Hopefully our trip coincides with some event with one or all of the Yonder boys. Would be cool if they played at one of the WP music festivals again this year, and we were in town for it. Alas, I am the only bluegrasser in my group, so it will be hard to let a Yonder show drive our itinerary.

How do you get to Rollins Pass from Ned? Do you mean riding the rail grade from the East Portal, or can you actually ride off-road from Ned up to the pass? That would be cool as ****, probably something to do one our way back to the flatlands, followed by a tasty calzone at Neapolitans and many beers at the PI.

Hopefully you can join us for some riding. I know we'll have to stop at Larry's shop for new toys, and a couple laps of the backbone.

Cheers
    Mark