mtbr member
    May 2004

best hydraulic brake mechanic in south metro?

I am an experienced old school (and just plain old) mechanic and usually do everything myself but I am stumped with my Sram XX disc brakes. I can't get the rear breaks to stop dragging. In the workstand it takes a huge effort to get the wheel to spin a full rotation. The rotor is true. I bought a bleed kit and have bled it several times. The breaks work well but I can't get the drag out of the system. I am ready to give up and take it somewhere. In the past when I have taken my bike to the random local shop for difficult problems they never seemed to get much further than I had. Any suggestions for brake gurus in the south metro area? Thanks.

Apr 2012
    Try this...

Unscrew the fluid cap at the brake lever, then use a screwdriver to force the piston (w pads installed) all the way back as far as it will go. Some fluid should ooze out of the hole in the lever when you do this. With the screwdriver still spreading the pads to the max, screw the cap back on. Install wheel and pump the brakes a few times. Repeat the whole process until the rotor runs free.

I don't know. Worked for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If you are down south check out elevation cycles on county line in highlands ranch. It might not be your fault though. I have had a few pair of sram XX brakes replaced under warranty. They are not the most reliable brakes!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    They're not working right because you're spelling "brakes" wrong. Correct your spelling and maybe they'll work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Even under the best of circumstances you'll have about a nanometer of clearance in there. Try sticking a business card or two between rotor and both pads and squeezing while praying. Then pray some more. I'd offer more advice on how I got my Elixirs to work right but those are the brakes that nearly killed me so my recollection is dim at this point.

You can always install BB7s. I never had any drag with them and they stopped just fine. And they never tried to kill me.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Damien at adventure cycles. Hands down the best.

ride
    How old are they? We see a LOT of stuck pistons on Avid brakes after a year or two of hard use. If that's the case, you'll more than likely have to rebuild it with a new piston kit.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    May 2007

+1 on stuck pistons

I have been riding Juicy 7's for 7 years now. I have ran into the same trouble with dragging before. While pulling the lever, you can watch the pistons move slightly in and out. In my case, it's always been one side that would retract. A caliper rebuild fixed the problem. My current set of brakes are 5 years old, and I have rebuilt the calipers twice on that set, but they run perfectly drag-free.

Bike Ninja |||
    You can bring them to me (Nick) at Mojo Wheels.

Most likely it needs what is called a piston-reset, where the pistons will need to be reset in their bores, and the system re-bled. If that does not remedy the problem SRAM will need to be contacted, all of which I can handle for you.

Call me if you have any questions 303-985-4487.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Living the High Life
    ^^^^
    He knows his bike stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. The brakes are about 2 years old now. Nick thanks for chiming in. I may investigate the caliper rebuild/new piston kit. It sounds like it needs to be done fairly regularly so I guess I should figure out how to do it. I have tried the easy stuff with the business cards and bleeding out a little fluid but it always seems to adjust itself back to dragging.

mtbr member
    +1 for piston/ caliper rebuild. I find that the higher end the Avid brakes are, the more often the pistons/ calipers need to be rebuilt.

If that seems like too much to undertake (if you're pretty mechanically inclined, it's really not hard), then +1 for Mojo. Great shop, great wrenches.