Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Your bike is incorrigible

Best Hydration Pack ....fer da frunt range

I'm curious about other people's experiences. I started off with a CB Mule, but didn't like how narrow it was (made it hard to get to things). I've been using a Dueter with about the same capacity as as the Mule but wider. Still kind of hard to get to everything, though.

So what do you guys use for all day jaunts in the hills?

mtbr member
    Dakine packs all the way

the use whats called the Hydra pak in them I love it.

makes rides better it just does.

Quote Originally Posted by CR Race
    Dakine packs all the way

the use whats called the Hydra pak in them I love it.

makes rides better it just does.
    Yeah, I've been seeing those around. Maybe I'll try one.

mtbr member

mtbr member

Osprey

I really like the Osprey Raptor. They come in different sizes so they fit better. It doesn't bounce or move. The one grip I have is the chest strap doesn't stay tight but I fixed that with a plastic clip.

mtbr member

Drafter

I have the Dakine Drafter it is perfect on every ride. the chest strap has elastic material in it so it does not come loose and no bounce

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Dueter Race Air X. Kind of small but keeps my back dry. I have long torso and the waist belt sits a little high but since I can't take a whole bunch of stuff it does the job.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Ospreys seemed to be the #1 choice among the CT Race folks. I think their nicest feature is that it has that hammock support system so the pack doesn't actually touch or ride on your back like the CamelBak & clones. That said, I have a Camelbak Octane 8 that is the best CB I've ever had. I'll replace it with an Osprey when the time comes.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    For short rides I have a Mountain Smith waist pack and use water bottles. For 3-5ish hr rides, I still have the same cheap High Sierra pack I bought six 7 years ago when I first started biking. For long epics I use an 8 year old Kelty Zephyr hiking day pack. For me, it's no so much the pack, it's the bladder. I won't anything buy a Platypus bladder.

<100%
    I started out with a CB blow fish - now I have a H.A.W.G NV. I like the size a lot better - of course now I always have a 12 pound pack on my back. Get a big pack and you end up carrying a lot of stuff around.

Well, I just ordered a Dakine Nomad. My Deuter is 800 cc, so the Nomad is about 50% larger. Maybe I'll be able to rummage around the bottom more easily.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Quote Originally Posted by jsj3831
    I started out with a CB blow fish - now I have a H.A.W.G NV. I like the size a lot better - of course now I always have a 12 pound pack on my back. Get a big pack and you end up carrying a lot of stuff around.

I bought a CB HAWG after not being happy with the lack of capacity in the Mule... but yeah, you do end up hauling a lot of stuff around, just because you can

I bought a Deuter (can't remember which one, but similar in size to the HAWG) and the hammock suspension thing rides up on the back of my neck... fine when I'm pedaling along, but as soon as I get out of the saddle on a downhill, I can't raise my head enough comfortably to see down the trail.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    Well, I just ordered a Dakine Nomad. My Deuter is 800 cc, so the Nomad is about 50% larger. Maybe I'll be able to rummage around the bottom more easily.
    I've been running a Nomad for the last couple years. Its on the heavy side but it's treated me very well. I'd grab a new one again if mine fell apart tomorrow.

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006
    I've got an osprey talon and I was looking at osprey raptor for all day riding. I went with a north face klamath bag instead. I like the reservoir and valve on the north face bag better + comparable quality and features as osprey. Just used the bag at Moab it fit good, didn't move around digging the magnetic water line holder- prevents the valve getting caught on the handlebars.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    X3 on the Nomad--half off on Backcountry Outlet, great size for anything less than an epic, just replace the Dakine bladder with one from a camelback.

modified raptor

I like the 10L Raptor....however I had to change a few things.

I hated the magnet bite valve / chest strap interface, and the reservoir cap was a bit to bulky for my liking.
    Swapped the reservoir for a source. Source bite valves are awful so I cut that off and put on a camleback bite valve with the in line on/off valve.

Also planning to completely swap out the chest strap and sew in a zipper on one of the hipbelt pockets. great pack otherwise. I'm a pack whore always looking for the ideal pack. My second favorite, and an old friend, is the Deuter EXP 8, which i believe Deuter replaced with an alternate model.

"fer da frunt range"

Porch
    Last edited by Porchsong; 05-05-2010 at 09:39 PM.
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    HAWG user for years (great), tried the Dueter Race Air X for some racing(OK), and an Ergon fancy thing(OK). Last year some buddies turned me on to the wingnut(SEARCH OVER).

Pivot Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mojobeer
    I really like the Osprey Raptor. They come in different sizes so they fit better. It doesn't bounce or move. The one grip I have is the chest strap doesn't stay tight but I fixed that with a plastic clip.
    +1 on everything! Changed from a CB to the Raptor and LOVE it -- cept for the chest strap that stays loose -- but since I hang my camera from that it works great!
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

hehe ...you said "member"
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    I too switched from the Mule - too small once you start throwing in layers of clothing to ride in CO weather ... and forget about tring to get a full size camera in there.

I have been using the Dakine Apex for 2 years now - much better. Larger than the Nomad, but with similar features. I love the stow-away straps at the bottom for carrying my knee/shin and elbow/forearm pads while climbing. Keeps the pads out of the way and comfortable while not using up all of your cargo room.

One thing on the Dakine packs is that the bladder that came with it leaked. Switched it out to a 100 oz CB bladder and it's much better.
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    +1 on the wingnut!

http://www.wingnutgear.com/product_d...product_id=116

Handmade in the US and their customer service is top notch!!

Quote Originally Posted by mateomtb
    HAWG user for years (great), tried the Dueter Race Air X for some racing(OK), and an Ergon fancy thing(OK). Last year some buddies turned me on to the wingnut(SEARCH OVER).

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    I love the dakine packs, but prefer the camelback bladder.
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hawg

mtbr member
    +2 on the wingnut-- lots of room and very comfortable.

Moosehead
    ghetto dispensary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Hydration Pack ....fer da frunt range-bongxedoblue.jpg  

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I have a Mule but WAY prefer my wife's Deuter EXP8. The space in the Deuter is much more functional and the bladder is great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast