Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Best flow trails in the front range?

I've ridden bestasso and love it.

heard great things about centennial cone.

any others come to mind that are flowy w/o tons of rocks/technical sections?

Now older but less slow!
    Another Best of thread......AHHHGGGGG!

Now that I have that out of my system how about Buffalo Creek. Very flowy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    "Be the flow Danny, be the flow."

650b me
    Lair o' the Bear has some great flowy sections.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesm925 View Post
    I've ridden bestasso and love it.

heard great things about centennial cone.

any others come to mind that are flowy w/o tons of rocks/technical sections?
    Ah Flow Trails, the newest vague, ill-defined buzzword to appear on the mountain bike trail landscape.

Our trails group has been getting requests for flow trails, and when you ask people exactly what they mean by that you get answers that are as different as cabernet and ipa. For some people it's basically a freeride DH trail where you have drops that can be linked with frequent airtime. Others say it's banked turns and open sight lines where you can carry speed and dip and swoop while never having your tires lose contact with the trail (e.g. Kessel Run).

So that'd be my input to this thread: poop out your definition of Flow Trail then use it to describe why the one you like best is the best Flow Trail.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I f**king HATE that word. It's worse than "stoke"...

mtbr member
    Flow is defined as making a trail as fun as possible without requiring the use of brakes. The trail with the most flow I have ever ridden was Silky Johnson at Sol Vista 3 years ago. I rode that trail the entire day.

I would like to see our trails designed after the Half Nelson trail in Squamish. Something challenging for all levels. Why couldn't a Front Range trail have freeride, banked turns with dip and swoop and sight lines? Why couldn't a trail have all those things?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by nitecrwlr View Post
    Why couldn't a Front Range trail have freeride, banked turns with dip and swoop and sight lines? Why couldn't a trail have all those things?
    Because JCOS?

Now older but less slow!
    Based on that definition I wouldn't rate BC as "flow" then. I suggested it as it was not rocky as as OP stated and more flowy but it is still pedally and you still need brakes and there aren't too many places where your wheels would leave the ground.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Best flow trails in the front range?

Does flow require hero dirt? Brah?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBitey View Post
    Does flow require hero dirt? Brah?
    nah DU... you can get stoked on flow when descending any kinda sweet gnar, breh... when the brown pow gets tacky and hero'd it jus gets sic, yo.

gotta get up to get down

Re: Best flow trails in the front range?

Even though they aren't on the front range, valhalla at snowmass and silky johnson at sol vista are overflowing with flow. Mmmm...flow........

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by WilburKookmeyer View Post
    nah DU... you can get stoked on flow when descending any kinda sweet gnar, breh... when the brown pow gets tacky and hero'd it jus gets sic, yo.
    Airplane! - Jive Scene with Translation [1080p] - YouTube

The 5th knuckle
    I thought flow was that 28 day cycle women have? I tend to stay away from the crimson tide. Flow on a trail is just disgusting period......... what is wrong with you people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    HAHAHAHA Awesome!!!

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Ah Flow Trails, the newest vague, ill-defined buzzword to appear on the mountain bike trail landscape.
    Spot on! Dirt Magazine had a 4 page article written about the details of "flow". ugh

Oh and some one spread rep for me.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    ridicule flows on this forum better than most trails on the Front Range.
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

ridin dirtay
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    ridicule flows on this forum better than most trails on the Front Range.

FR trails weren't designed with teh flowz in mind, they were made for hiking, or for pushing mules up hills quickly

that said, I do luv me some gut
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Flow always works better when the trail is one way.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    Lair o' the Bear has some great flowy sections.
    Second this. The descent back to the parking lot has good flow. And by flow I mean fast riding requiring light pedaling over just steep enough terrain with banked turns. A lot of said flow is accomplished by pumping the bike in and out of features rather than heavy pedaling.

ridin dirtay
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Because JCOS?
    JCOS is one giant tampon

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nitecrwlr View Post
    Flow is defined as making a trail as fun as possible without requiring the use of brakes. The trail with the most flow I have ever ridden was Silky Johnson at Sol Vista 3 years ago. I rode that trail the entire day.

I would like to see our trails designed after the Half Nelson trail in Squamish. Something challenging for all levels. Why couldn't a Front Range trail have freeride, banked turns with dip and swoop and sight lines? Why couldn't a trail have all those things?
    Banked turns take a lot of time to build, need extra maintenance, and are only useful to a segment of the population. For many people who use the trails things like berms, jumps, built drops, etc are an unwelcome, unnatural, unattractive artificial construction (you want a bike park/pump track go to a bike park/pump track)

Not that I don't enjoy banked turns, but you asked "why" and I know they get feedback like this.

And yes, I've built banked turns and know how much extra work it takes. To build just one well built berm that will last takes a lot of man hours, man hours that could be put into building tread. If your man power resources are limited, putting a lot of time into big ass berms might not seem that high on the priority list.

ridin dirtay
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Banked turns take a lot of time to build, need extra maintenance, and are only useful to a segment of the population. For many people who use the trails things like berms, jumps, built drops, etc are an unwelcome, unnatural, unattractive artificial construction (you want a bike park/pump track go to a bike park/pump track)

Not that I don't enjoy banked turns, but you asked "why" and I know they get feedback like this.

And yes, I've built banked turns and know how much extra work it takes. To build just one well built berm that will last takes a lot of man hours, man hours that could be put into building tread. If your man power resources are limited, putting a lot of time into big ass berms might not seem that high on the priority list.

Water bars are an unwelcome, unnatural, unattractive artificial construction as well, but they still exist.
    Plenty of people will help build berms, there is no shortage of manpower.

Its politics and who has the monies, zrm... nothing else
    I mean, the sheriff guards the horse only parking at NTM, even though no one uses it.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    Water bars are an unwelcome, unnatural, unattractive artificial construction as well, but they still exist.
    Plenty of people will help build berms, there is no shortage of manpower.

Its politics and who has the monies, zrm... nothing else
    I mean, the sheriff guards the horse only parking at NTM, even though no one uses it.

Well, water bars serve a purpose in the management of the trail as do drain dips, nicks, drains etc.

Look, I like berms too, but I also know how labor intensive they are. They serve MTBers and MTBers only. So from a management point of view if you have a trail(s) that serves a wide variety of people does it make a lot of sense to put a lot of your resources into building macdaddy berms?(and if you do build them it's guaranteed that about half the MTBers will loudly complain that you didn't do it right). Not only that but berms encourage people to go faster and that might not be something you want to do on well used multi use, multi directional trails

Probably the best place to push for bike specific features (outside of bike parks) is trails that from the time of their conception are designed and intended to be mostly for bikes.

ridin dirtay
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Well, water bars serve a purpose in the management of the trail as do drain dips, nicks, drains etc.

Look, I like berms too, but I also know how labor intensive they are. They serve MTBers and MTBers only. So from a management point of view if you have a trail(s) that serves a wide variety of people does it make a lot of sense to put a lot of your resources into building macdaddy berms?(and if you do build them it's guaranteed that about half the MTBers will loudly complain that you didn't do it right). Not only that but berms encourage people to go faster and that might not be something you want to do on well used multi use, multi directional trails

Probably the best place to push for bike specific features (outside of bike parks) is trails that from the time of their conception are designed and intended to be mostly for bikes.
    I assume anyone that rides more than once a summer likes berms.
    MTBers are the vast majority of trail users (from my perspective).
    We dont need "macdaddy" berms

"trails intended for bikes"
    you bring teh lulz, z

Did you miss the part about politics and money?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast