Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    650b me

Best dropper post for the Front Range

Yes! A new 'best' thread!

I'm finally ready to consider buying a dropper seatpost. Soliciting opinions, thoughts, criticisms of current models.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have a gravity dropper, 3 years with no complaints. Simple design and reliable.

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 reverb, works well but requires bleeding every 6 months or it slows down.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Reverb, KS Lev, or Thomson would be my suggestions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    Reverb, KS Lev, or Thomson would be my suggestions.
    Hey flowtron, how's life up north?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Resident Gear Head
    Really like my Specialized Command Post Blacklite. I have only had it for a few months but so far it has worked pretty well. My favorite part has to be the three designated positions, fully extended, cruiser (35mm drop), and fully dropped. At first I thought the set cruiser position may be uncomfortable and I would be craving a position just above or just below it but it seems to be a real comfy position.
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Don't know if Thomson is the best or not.
    But I broke the cable guide on mine, emailed Thomson asking where I could get a new one and they sent me one for free, had it 5 days later.

Gotta like customer service like that..

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Hey flowtron, how's life up north?
    We lasted about 6 weeks in MT. Perhaps it was an over correction. So we moved to SLC.
    Easy livin. 20-25min to Park City trails, 35min to Alta. the beer situation is a bit of a drag, but I have less of a beer gut.

insert sarcasm here
    Quote Originally Posted by provin1327 View Post
    Really like my Specialized Command Post Blacklite. I have only had it for a few months but so far it has worked pretty well. My favorite part has to be the three designated positions, fully extended, cruiser (35mm drop), and fully dropped. At first I thought the set cruiser position may be uncomfortable and I would be craving a position just above or just below it but it seems to be a real comfy position.
    I like mine as well, 'cept for the friggin lever. Each time I want to drop my seat, it's like "alright thumb, you can do this!" Maybe I'm just a weakling. I hear it's easier if you remove the noodle, change to a teflon shifter cable, et. Suppose I'll try that next. Also, make sure you get out of the way when returning the seat to full extension, otherwise you might lose a nut. You've been warned.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

mtbr member
    I like my reverb quite well. Two seasons and it needs some maintenance but I use it all the time when I ride and haven't been easy on it in any way and there is zero play. Lever design is very good, especially with the Sram integration.

A KindShock dropper came on my Mason and I like it a lot as well. Lever design is good as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    what makes it better for the front range compared to anywhere else?

I have had no issues with my LEV... and yes I live in the front range

Now older but less slow!
    I like my LEV but I have never used another post.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    The taint smashing speeds of the Specialized posts are what keep me from recommending them.
    The Giant contact posts are pretty sweet for the $$ too. Although they dropped the ball on parts availability on the first gen. Kind of a bummer.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have the specialized and after about 2 1/2 months it seems to work fine. No issues. Supposedly it's one of the more reliable dropper posts out there but I've never used one before so I have nothing to compare it to

Its pretty heavy (compared to a regular seat post) and I don't use it that much for the typical riding around here so I'm thinking of replacing it with a carbon post for most of my normal riding and re-installing it for desert trips where there is lots of ledge/rock drop type riding where I think having the weight and complexity is worthwhile.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Reverb Stealth here. Second one I've had and the first is still running strong on the bike I sold it with, over a year old and no major fixes yet. I really like this post because it does not have "set" heights. Put it where you want it, every time. The action is super smooth and has a dial that will speed up or slow down the travel, if bled right it really, really slows down

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    I have the specialized and after about 2 1/2 months it seems to work fine. No issues. Supposedly it's one of the more reliable dropper posts out there but I've never used one before so I have nothing to compare it to
    Specialized... reliable? I call shenanigans.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm having some minor problems with my KS lev that I'm working out. Not a deal breaker, but frustrating to say the least.

I feel the extra $100 for the thomson, or same ~price for reverb would've been the best bet in hindsight.

Trips for Kids Denver
    I found a lightly used Joplin 4 for $100 and it's been perfect all summer
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gearwhine View Post
    I'm having some minor problems with my KS lev that I'm working out. Not a deal breaker, but frustrating to say the least.

I feel the extra $100 for the thomson, or same ~price for reverb would've been the best bet in hindsight.
    We've found the KS posts to be on the reliable side. The company has fixed all the issues we've encountered so far, however they have not always been quick about it. I think their support staff is pretty small. I hope they ramp it up, as KS is starting to get some serious OEM sales as well as aftermarket.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

My cup runneth over
    Only done Gravity Dropper posts. First one when they came out in 2004. That one broke twice in two years as they worked out their bugs. I have had that one on my Fat bike for the last three years and have had no further issues (since 2006). Second one on my FS bike for the last 3 - 4 years; no issues (3 - 4 rides per week), just changed the cable a couple of times.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    As far as the KS Lev working...no problems there. The lever feel is nice, action is smooth, no sticking, etc.

My problems have been very minor....

1) Me not following instructions. The seat slips back on the rails. I always felt hesitant to torque the bolts to their recommended torque...twice as high as Thomson (5Nm vs 10Nm)...but there is apparently a reason for that. Now that I have those torqued properly...no slipping, but the lower rail holder loosens and develops play in it often (the one that's held on only by the flat head valve cap). Not broken, just a nuisance. There is no torque rec here..and it's hard to reach much with only a flathead screwdriver on an aluminum cap.

2) The red cap for the cable mechanism... I greased it liberally on installation, but the o-ring broke on me when I had to remove some cable slack a week or two into my riding. Without the o-ring, I lost the red cap (duh...). Either way...it's a bummer the o-ring is so delicate. I now have it covered with tape until KS sends me a replacement cap (slow, as you stated). Still works with no problems without the cap though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    We've found the KS posts to be on the reliable side. The company has fixed all the issues we've encountered so far, however they have not always been quick about it. I think their support staff is pretty small. I hope they ramp it up, as KS is starting to get some serious OEM sales as well as aftermarket.

Stand back
    I had a GD that I picked up used. The play in the post drove me crazy, so I sent it in for a full rebuild. Still had a bunch of play once I got it back so I sold it.

I then bought a Reverb new which broke the upper collar, and SRAM was great about sending me a replacement. The replacement has not worked as well as the first one - it's been bled a bunch of times and still runs a little slower and more stiffly than I'd like. But after more than a season, just a touch of play, which I can't feel while riding. Might try a LEV for the wife's bike so I don't have to deal with the bleeding maintenance on a 2nd post.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    On a KS i950r for 2 years exactly with 0 downtime and 0 maintenance. I have used it heavily. I will be buying another one if/when it ever breaks.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    the beer situation is a bit of a drag, but I have less of a beer gut.
    Funny, SLC folks always seem to work really hard to convince people from Colorado that the beer situation is not a situation, and that their beer life there is as good as it is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    what makes it better for the front range compared to anywhere else?
    You don't spend much time here, do ya?

MK_
    carpe maņana
    If light weight and durability are paramount, Gravity Dropper Turbo LP.
    If weight is less a priority and the infinite adjustment is mandatory, KS LEV.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast