mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Best Direction to do the White Rim in One Day?

Any of you Front-Rangers have any suggestions on this? I have been recomended both ways and now the time is approaching and I can not decide.
    I have heard that the easiest way is counter clockwise.

Please break w/any comments.

I thank you.

Just go ride!

Cw

Having done it both directions, my vote is definitively clockwise, starting at the top of the climb out of mineral bottom. This way, you get the boring 12 miles of smooth, graded uphill dirt (+ 7 mi. of pavement) out of the way early in the morning - those miles really suck at the end of the day. These miles can also be ridden easily in the darkness or with minimal predawn light. Then, the sections from White Crack to the bottom of the Hogback, and then from the Hogback to the base of Hardscrabble have a nice, long, gradual downhill feel to them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

the climbs at the end

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan_G
    Having done it both directions, my vote is definitively clockwise, starting at the top of the climb out of mineral bottom. This way, you get the boring 12 miles of smooth, graded uphill dirt (+ 7 mi. of pavement) out of the way early in the morning - those miles really suck at the end of the day. These miles can also be ridden easily in the darkness or with minimal predawn light. Then, the sections from White Crack to the bottom of the Hogback, and then from the Hogback to the base of Hardscrabble have a nice, long, gradual downhill feel to them.
    Is the grind up the Schaefer (?) switchbacks easier than climbing up the Mineral Bottom side at the end of 15 hours of middle chain ring? I've just done the WRT as an out and back from either end, never seen the middle 1/3. Some day.

Just go ride!
    I think the difficulty/grade is about the same, but the climb up Schafer to the pavement is longer and maybe 1200' while the climb up to Mineral Bottom Road is around 800'. Either way, they hurt at the end of the day...

Desert Rat
    Jul 2005
    We always camped at Mineral bottom and rode clockwise. You start the day with a nice climb and the road miles, and finish the loop at Mineral at your vehicle. Seemed like the best option to me.

Scott

Too busy looking good
    When will you be going, TitusChick? I'll probably be there soon too, with two friends, on Oct. 7th. Full moon that night, seems like a good time to go. It will be my first time there as well, so I don't have any advice to offer you, but I'm glad you started this thread, I'm keeping an eye on it for good advice!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I rode this loop last fall counter-clockwise starting from the visitor center near the top of Schafer. I started before sun-up and chilled myself to the bone with the descent to the river. It was a miserable start that, I suppose, could've been avoided had I not underestimated the temp for the morning. I thought if I did it again, I would start at the base of the Schafer trial and ride counter-lockwise again. I like to ride counter-clockwise because if you run into trouble, you can hike up to the Island in the Sky road at about half way and there's more traffic as you get closer to the Schafer trail. These factors may be irrelevent unless you're riding solo as I did.

Have fun.

See ya'll out there on the 7th. I'll be solo on a rigid 29er, going clockwise (because I've always gone the other way), starting where the Horsethief trail meets the pavement (because extra driving seems silly).

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Bulletin: Rain on 10/3 has closed Shafer Trail

I talked with a ranger this afternnon at Island District. She said they got 1/2'' rain yesterday which has caused them to close the Shafer Trail and that on the west side where Taylor canyon and Upheaval canyon cross the road there is a 4ft river. Not sure if that means 4 ft deep or wide. She said they plan to work on both issues tomorrow and Friday and that probably Shafer will re-open. Otherwise Potash is the only way make it a complete trip. Not sure how many more miles that adds. Maybe 20? And it means a shuttle. If still closed maybe we can hook up (I am planning on doing it on Sat 10/7 counterclockwise with Hoser and another gent) to do a shuttle. Number to call for current conditions is: 435 259-4712 and then hang on or dial zero.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Bailing on The White Rim

My the weather is lookin' grim and I as well called the ranger at Isle in the Sky.
    We are going to make our final decision in the am, but its not looking good.

Ended up bumping my trip up to the 2nd, which given the weather was a fortuitous choice. Having ridden it both ways, I think it's really a tossup. Camping out the Horsethief trail and riding the dirt and pavement in the dark makes the most sense, logistically; and the HT road was waaaay smoother than I remember. Good stuff. Hope ya'll got out in spite of the weather.

Members who have read this thread: 0