Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Best DH/FR Trails that you Earn near DEnver

Ok I have a Expert EVO, specialized. Wheres the best places to DH and FR (ride up mountain of course) when lifts close, gravity trails? Near Denver within an hour an a half or so. Thank

mtbr member
    You must be new here......the first rule of DH club is you don't talk about DH club.

ride
    Mt Lion, Lion Gulch, South St. Vrain, Crosier Mt Garden Gate trailhead. In my opinion, those are some of the techiest, roughest natural terrain trails on the northern Front Range. All very fun in a downward direction.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    is there some sick drops and jumps on those

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    You must be new here......the first rule of DH club is you don't talk about DH club.
    As a guy who has no idea what DH club is......All near Denver trails are multi-use. Hiker, horse and bike. They may be rocky and you will be able to jump some of the larger rocks. But nothing designed or meant for DH.

To sum it up: the Denver area hates ALL mountain bikers. Which is strange considering how great their bike path system is.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

WWJR
    Quote Originally Posted by j.e.perry View Post
    As stated above, Front Range trails arent suffice for DH. I guess you could DH Chimpex, or maybe Deer Creek Canyon.?.?
    -Santa Cruz TBLTc
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down... all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Hit up Dakota Ridge. You'll find stuff you are looking for. It isn't high speed but there are moves/drops/etc that will test you and you will only risk your own safety rather than other trail users.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

Awesomist™
    No.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

ride
    Not sure on that brah , but all of those trails I listed are incredibly demanding backcountry trails with lots of potential for fun as well as injury.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erEverything View Post
    Hit up Dakota Ridge. You'll find stuff you are looking for. It isn't high speed but there are moves/drops/etc that will test you and you will only risk your own safety rather than other trail users.
    Actually that's a great option for really rocky.

Deer Creek rocks at high speed, but it's multi-use
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

friend of Apex

Say wha?

ya'll been trolled, again
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Blackjack is a great suggestion; if you get hurt, you're a long way from help.

_MK
    Last edited by MK_; 10-18-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Lefthand Canyon Off road Vehicle Park. Plenty of steeps and gnar there. The climb is great and will definitely get you attention and the single track descents will use all your travel.

ride
    Definitely Left Hand OHV! It's rideable almost all winter long, too.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Basement Dweller
    Just start your ride late.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    ok so for dakota ridge and the idaho stuff do you need pads and stuff?

and for idaho springs, where do i find details on those trails ?

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by joseffritzl View Post
    just start your ride late.
    lol
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post

Say wha?

ya'll been trolled, again

*Oh and I'm going to make a new account for trolling. I'm thinking: "LMASS-RDR"
    Last edited by Ithnu; 10-18-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Living the High Life

and for idaho springs, where do i find details on those trails ?
    Dakota, maybe if you're worried about your elbows. But it's mostly slow over the rocks, not high speed stuff.

Idaho, there are some shuttles out there but again they are multi-use trails. So no jumps or anything. You can get going faster as there is very little traffic on them though. But they are north facing and start above 10,000 feet so they will start to snow in soon.

mtbr member
    Shuttle to the top of White Ranch and take Longhorn to Whippletree. Too steep and technical to ride up although it's possible someone might hike up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Can you ride up trestle park on your own when the lift season is done?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    And so basically there's no great downhill near denver?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Buffalo Creek , Black jack trail, if you go i want to go and watch the trail is Crazy on a bike like you have , On a dh rig i rode everything but it sucks getting it up. Do a search for a video and the video give it no justice.

Living the High Life
    Nothing with drops or big jumps. The multi-use trails can get pretty techy but they're very busy. Turns out several of the 2,000,000+ people here get out doors.

But check out these: Open Space Parks & Maps - Open Space - Jefferson County, CO There are some great trails, just don't expect DH features or DH speed.

..ouch
    25 posts in and this thread hasn't degenerated into a shitefest? Color me amazed.

OP - search button is your friend Brah.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Yes. Dakota Ridge requires full armor.

eci
    apex!!!

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    I'd like to recommend some motocross for the off season.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Datoka Ridge is what I hit up mostly. Don't really need gear as most of the trail doesn't get too fast. There are some spots along the way to detour and find drops, then connect it to red rocks trail into mathew winters to get back to the parking lot. Not exactly DH but it highly reminds me of a much shorter porcupine rim.

Stiff yet compliant
    There actually, might possibly, sort of kind of, maybe, that kind of thing near Denver. Make friends with people.
    In real life, not on the internet.

That's all I'm sayin.

mtbr member
    The drops and jumps are at Valmont. It's a short ride.

But I second Blackjack, and am disgusted it's been a year since I've been down it...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    DH season is over, Keystone, winter park and sol vista closed in september.. time to pedal..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wandr View Post
    The drops and jumps are at Valmont. It's a short ride.

But I second Blackjack, and am disgusted it's been a year since I've been down it...
    Good point. Golden bike park as well. Shame those two places have been overlooked lately but it has been a long summer of great mountain bike riding!
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    Ok I have a Expert EVO, specialized. Wheres the best places to DH and FR (ride up mountain of course) when lifts close, gravity trails? Near Denver within an hour an a half or so. Thank
    I would just get rid of that bike now and pony up for a true DH rig and wait until the resorts open again. Riding a bike like that around here will only frustrate you and make you wonder why you are lugging 35 lbs up hills to ride sanitized bike paths down. Except for some of the trails mentioned above, there is little reason to haul a full zoot trail bike around most of the front range trails.

Now that trail sustainability and multi use group hugs are on everyone's radar, pretty much all the trails around here (that are recognized by some open space entity) are degenerating into hardtail friendly flat paths, including Apex, Chimney, White Ranch, Betasso, and on and on.
    Last edited by kokothemonkey; 10-19-2012 at 02:36 PM.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by kokothemonkey View Post
    I would just get ride of that bike now and pony up for a true DH rig and wait until the resorts open again. Riding a bike like that around here will only frustrate you and make you wonder why you are lugging 35 lbs up hills to ride sanitized bike paths down. Except for some of the trails mentioned above, there is little reason to haul a full zoot trail bike around most of the front range trails.

Now that trail sustainability and multi use group hugs are on everyone's radar, pretty much all the trails around here (that are recognized by some open space entity) are degenerating into hardtail friendly flat paths, including Apex, Chimney, White Ranch, Betasso, and on and on.
    +1 - If you're a flatlander riding the sidewalks that JeffCo calls trail.

I love my Evo for the goods in my backyard. SSV, Mountian Lion, miles of non-mapped, non-strava'd hidden local goodness..... it's perfect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    +1 - If you're a flatlander riding the sidewalks that JeffCo calls trail.

I love my Evo for the goods in my backyard. SSV, Mountian Lion, miles of non-mapped, non-strava'd hidden local goodness..... it's perfect.
    Yup, agreed- those are the trails that I enjoy my trail bike on as well (mainly SSV!), on the groomed paths it's way overkill.

mtbr member

What Koko said

I am about to do just what Kokomonkey said. I have a Covert that is overkill for 99 percent of the rides around here. I tried the one and done bike philosophy and so far it hasn't worked for me. I had a Transition Preston FR that I rode everywhere on the Front Range and used it at Keystone, WP and Sol Vista it also tore up BlackJack, etc... Then the frame cracked so Transition hooked me up with the Covert frame and I was back in business, problem is the bike is great at WP but not Keystone or Sol Vista and riding it on the Front Range is like coming to a knife fight with a laser guided missile (it works but it is serious overkill).

Soooo, I am thinking I am headed to a hardtail with a 160mm fork and then a TR250 or something like it.
    Feels like an Arby's night.

Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Puddy View Post
    Soooo, I am thinking I am headed to a hardtail with a 160mm fork and then a TR250 or something like it.
    160mm fork.... I do not understand.

mtbr member

Fox 36

Quote Originally Posted by RobertHurst View Post
    160mm fork.... I do not understand.
    I still want to have lots of fun at Hall Ranch and SSV, plus I have an old Fox 36 Talas that I can use so I am looking in to hardtails that can handle it like the TransAM. I personally feel that the biggest upgrade I have experienced in MTB is the 20mm thru axle and the rock crushing stiffness of the bigger forks. And please no one tell me how I should buy a 29er I am holding out for 28.23 to become a standard:madm

Apr 2012
    I still want to have lots of fun at Hall Ranch and SSV, plus I have an old Fox 36 Talas that I can use so I am looking in to hardtails that can handle it like the TransAM. I personally feel that the biggest upgrade I have experienced in MTB is the 20mm thru axle and the rock crushing stiffness of the bigger forks. And please no one tell me how I should buy a 29er I am holding out for 28.23 to become a standard:madm
    All right.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by richccc View Post
    Buffalo Creek , Black jack trail, if you go i want to go and watch the trail is Crazy on a bike like you have , On a dh rig i rode everything but it sucks getting it up. Do a search for a video and the video give it no justice.
    Alright i have another one, templeton trail at palmer in co springs, same as above.

..ouch
    I am holding out for 28.23 to become a standard:madm
    pffft... so last week. 28.47" with a 17mm TU is where it's at now. keep up.

Shread Ready
    Funny thread. Love the fight club reference! I'm in Co Springs now so I'm thinking I need to find out about the Pikes Peak DH trails I've heard about from people. I don't know if their referring to Barr Trail but I'd like to try and find some DH action around Pikes Peak this weekend! If anyone has any secret stash tips around Pike Peak LMK!

Arggh, templeton trail sucks! I tried riding that a month ago and was all WTF'z this stinking trail aint meant for mountain biking. A few nice spots but I wouldn't suggest it to anyone.

I've always wanted to check out the DH in Idahoe Springs. People are always talking about that when I'm at the resorts making small chat on the lift ride up.

Funny all the people mentioning Datoka Ridge/Hog Back. I never thought of that as much of a DH trail but it does have some nice spots that are pretty technical. Been a while since I road that.

The most notorous/infamous trail in the Front Range for DH/Shutting was most definitely APEX! I used to see guys in the full body armor rocking that trail bombing down. It's defintely not suggested anymore though.

I've always wanted to ride Blackjack and have seen that Video of guys tearing it up. That's what I'd suggest to the OP but bring someone with you. I seriously need to get upto BC for some riding soon! Love that area!

<100%
    [QUOTE=Thrasher;9798760]

Arggh, templeton trail sucks! I tried riding that a month ago and was all WTF'z this stinking trail ain't meant for mountain biking. A few nice spots but I wouldn't suggest it to anyone.

Now now, that seems a over reaction. Check out this thread. I stopped and watched a couple people ride a few sections that made me think twice, then dropped in. Various bits of armor are recommended.

http://forums.mtbr.com/colorado-fron...ml#post9782449

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
    Arggh, templeton trail sucks! I tried riding that a month ago and was all WTF'z this stinking trail aint meant for mountain biking. A few nice spots but I wouldn't suggest it to anyone.

I've always wanted to check out the DH in Idahoe Springs.
    If you don't dig Templeton, then you'll want nothing to do with IS.

mtbr member

Crap

Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    pffft... so last week. 28.47" with a 17mm TU is where it's at now. keep up.
    I knew I bought my bike one week too soon! Does 28.47 come in the new Purple Anodized Glitter Colourway?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    is templeton trail have jumps?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    From what I've heard, it is.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Every trail anyone talks about has a video on youtube, if you want drops and trail features nothing is going to compare to blackjack trail at buff creek so just go there but i will bet you do some walking or crashing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Second on the Left Hand OHV, check out the "red trails" steeper than blacks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast