Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    rubber side down

Best Chain Lube for FR

I need some good advice on what you find works here on the Front Range for keeping your rides smooth. I've been using Finish Line dry lube for the past 2 seasons, and I'm tired of chipping the wax/dirt crap off of my deraileur. It just seems to always gum up the works. It also is not very cold weather tolerant. I bought a thing of Pedro's Road Rage (it was cheap), and hate it. Even for my road bike...it's narsty. So what do you guys use that works and works well?

R

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Wd-40

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    Wd-40
    Feeling like being nasty today?
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    I've had some good success with Rock N' Roll Gold lube so far. It seems to repel dust even. Chain is pretty clean even when rear wheel has a coating of dust all over it. It also doubles as a cleaner, so it's pretty easy to clean your chain and re-apply at the same time. They should stock it at most bike stores. I personally found some at Bicycle Village by my work. That being said, I haven't had it on there long enough to give extensive feedback on it. It does seem to be working well so far though.

http://www.rocklube.com/products_detail_gold.html

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/ro...4190.52.1.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm a fan of the Finish Line Dry Teflon -- hate Tri-Flo and white lightening.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    I like ProLink. Definitely keeps my chain cleaner then Finish Line.

Trips for Kids Denver
    I've been really happy with Dumond Tech "lite". I wipe the chain thoroughly before & after applying which is important with all types to avoid build up and collecting dirt. I use it on my road bike & mtb. I put it on almost every ride just to keep things smooth and quiet.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/DMD...brication.html

I used white lightning until my chains started kinking/developing stiff links.

ride
    Rock and Roll Gold is really good but only seems to last about 1 long ride for me. For something that is 99% as clean as the Gold but lasts a little longer try RnRs Extreme, the blue stuff.

Pro Link was probably my favorite before I found RnR. I've also been using Squirt, which has been really, really good. It's just a little tougher to find.

dave
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

<100%
    Pro Link Gold until things get really messy, then Tri-Flo.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    ProLink Gold

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Rock and Roll blue is my all time favorite, thus far.
    I think what I'm using now is the Finish Line Pro Road lube, which I found at Performance, and it seems to work OK. Not quite as good as the blue stuff, but not bad, neither. Little build up, but doesn't seem to last as long.

I've also tried the Dumonde Tech Lite lube which seems to last a good amount of time on my townie but it worthless on my MTB.

Pedro's is the worst garbage lube I've spent money on.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Team Inflexible

T9 rules them all

I have tried them all and think T9 works the best. Even better than Rock and Roll.
    Does not gum up as bad as the others and keeps the chain slippery.

Wax based lubes plain suck.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude
    I have tried them all and think T9 works the best. Even better than Rock and Roll.
    Does not gum up as bad as the others and keeps the chain slippery.

How can you say T9 is best and then say wax lubes suck?

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Not just famous; infamous

Good job! Boeshield T9

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude
    +1 for Boeshield, even though it's wax-based.
    (Damn, MK beat me to the punchline)

I've used T9 for years and haven't found a reason to switch...other than it can be hard to find locally for some reason.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_

_MK
    Tears... tears, I tell you... I'm laughing so hard it hurts....
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Amsoil 5w-30 synthetic for the last 6 months or so... same stuff that's in my Subaru. The results are that my chain picks up a little more dirt, but it's not accumulating anywhere either. You only need to use it every few rides, and if you forget its no big deal because it wears off so gradually. Some crap I've tried lasts halfway through a long ride and wears off real fast. Amsoil isn't cheap at $10/quart, but thats about 8x less than a lot of chain lubes.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

I think I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    Amsoil 5w-30 synthetic

Wd-40

Are you two just bored of the question, really

This is such a serious subject and people really do want to know

For the original question I have been using ProLink Gold as well, tends to only be good for one ride but does not build up.

As with others on this post White Lightning built up like a melted candle and chipping off old wax was not my idea of fun.

No one has mentioned the old rule, Oil based for wet conditions and Dry Lube for normal FR conditions.

Any other thoughts?

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

mtbr member
    I have been running Squirt for the past month, riding every day. Can be hard to find, but is definitely the best out there for all weather conditions. To clean the chain, simply wipe with a toothbrush and reapply. Boeshield T9 lubes well, but does not last past one long ride.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by edenger
    I'm a fan of the Finish Line Dry Teflon -- hate Tri-Flo and white lightening.
    +1 for Finish Line Dry Teflon

mtbr member

Boeshield T-9

I've been mountain biking more than a dozen years and have tried many different lubes. T-9 is my favorite. Here's why. First, it is very fluid and penetrates quickly and easily. Second, it wipes off cleanly and won't leave a grease streak on anything that might rub against the chain. Third, it does not attract dust and dirt. I clean and lube the chain regularly, so can't testify how many rides one application is good for.
    For the record, I use a Finish Line chain cleaner tool (good sale price at Performance Bicycles) with ordinary naptha (purchased by the gallon every few years at a local petroleum distributor). With this set-up I usually go through just one chain a year, even with lots of hard riding.

ride
    I think it's also important to note that all chain lubes (even the good ones) are not a good match for everyones style of bike maintanence. Some of the dry/synthetic lubes out there need a lot of time (overnight) to setup and harden on the chain. If you're a lube it then ride it type, you won't have as good of results with those kinds of lube. One thing that I often recommend is to clean your chain then lube it as soon as you are done riding. Your chain will be all set up for the next time you head out.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

hehe ...you said "member"
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfunman
    I've been really happy with Dumond Tech "lite". I wipe the chain thoroughly before & after applying which is important with all types to avoid build up and collecting dirt. I use it on my road bike & mtb. I put it on almost every ride just to keep things smooth and quiet.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/DMD...brication.html

I used white lightning until my chains started kinking/developing stiff links.
    +1 on Dumond Tech Lite. This stuff is great in dry climates - doesn't build up/attract dirt on your drivetrain.
    Also, and maybe it's just me, but this stuff smells GREAT. Even my kids love the way it smells. Weird? yeah, but that's my $.02
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

Quote Originally Posted by MK_

_MK

My experience with T9 is it attracts dirt and builds up easily without too regular of maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    Wd-40

Obviously a joke ... but one thing that WD-40 works well for is to de-grease your chain before cleaning and re-lubing it.

Also works well to get those gummy stickers off your skis that they stick on when doing tunes.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Spit's better than any of the $hit recommended here.

And it's free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast