Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best cell phone coverage - active lifestyle

AT&T has got to be the worst carrier for people like me that are active and need their cell phones for safety while playing in the mountains. Zero signal at Walker, white ranch, Mary Jane and most of Golden and Arvada.

I'm in the market for a new cell phone and was wondering if anyone else has done their research and are happy with their reception while mtn biking and skiing?

Chris

friend of Apex
    emergency calls bypass carrier restrictions

Hang up the phone and ride.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Honestly I dont think any carrier is going to give you coverage in all riding/skiing areas. If its safety your concerned about, maybe you should invest in one of those SPOT satellite/gps messenger thingys.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Not T-Mobile....
    39.5506° N, 107.3242° W

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    emergency calls bypass carrier restrictions

Hang up the phone and ride.
    This is why I avoid these forums anymore. I'm divorced and have 50/50 custody of my daughter. I like to squeeze in a ride before her up from daycare but worry about mechanical failure or injury. I don't get a signal at White Ranch which is unfortunate because it's 15 minutes from her school.

I didn't ask for your worthless advice and it's cowards like you that are quickly turning a resource like this into a wasteland of flame wars and chicken **** comments.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_exhaust View Post
    Not T-Mobile....
    Can you be more specific digital? Which trails do you have signals on?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have verizon and get service up on picture rock, centennial cone and nederland. I haven't been up on white ranch for a while so I don't know if it works there.

mtbr member
    I do well with Sprint. If your down in a valley most cell phones wont work unless there is an antenna in the area. But if you go up high you can get a signal. I have had my phone beep at me with emails or text in some really remote places.

mtbr member
    I have thought about trying a satellite communicator. But I have yet to talk to any one that actually uses one to see how well they work.

DeLorme inReach 2-Way Satellite Communicator for Apple iOS and Android - Free Shipping at REI.com

SPOT Connect Satellite Communicator - Free Shipping at REI.com

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I have AT&T (personal) and Verizon (work). In almost all cases Verizon beats AT&T. That being said, there are still places where Verizon doesn't get a signal. Also, my coverage is noticably worse with my iPhone (V) than my old Blackberry (V) so your phone plays a big part in this equation.

Rigid in Evergreen
    If you want 100% coverage, then check out Globalstar.

The Notorious S.L.O

Tough request

You request is a search for the “holy grail” of cellphone and cellphone providers, acceptable coverage, all places, all the time. I work for a provider, (who will go un-named), and are often the recipient of questions and comments about service and coverages.

The best response is: Where is the location, where you spend the most of your time, where you need the best access by cell phone? Home? Work location? Do some homework, find the provider that has the best coverage at that location, and go with them.

Your particular request is exceptionally difficult, as the location you have chosen is “out in them thar mountains” where coverage and access is a challenge for all carriers. There is no single carrier that will give you coverage on all the trails and ski runs in Colorado.

I would suggest that you narrow your request down to the ski areas where you do 80% of your skiing and the trail areas that you ride 80% of the time, do some research and find which carrier people are most satisfied with in those areas. Narrowing down your ski runs will be easier, but I don’t think I could come up with a single area/region where I ride 80% of the time.

Do your own research, do not rely on what anyone at any cell phone store may tell you, it will be biased.
    Good Luck
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by btadlock View Post
    You request is a search for the “holy grail” of cellphone and cellphone providers, acceptable coverage, all places, all the time. I work for a provider, (who will go un-named), and are often the recipient of questions and comments about service and coverages.

The best response is: Where is the location, where you spend the most of your time, where you need the best access by cell phone? Home? Work location? Do some homework, find the provider that has the best coverage at that location, and go with them.

Your particular request is exceptionally difficult, as the location you have chosen is “out in them thar mountains” where coverage and access is a challenge for all carriers. There is no single carrier that will give you coverage on all the trails and ski runs in Colorado.

I would suggest that you narrow your request down to the ski areas where you do 80% of your skiing and the trail areas that you ride 80% of the time, do some research and find which carrier people are most satisfied with in those areas. Narrowing down your ski runs will be easier, but I don’t think I could come up with a single area/region where I ride 80% of the time.

Do your own research, do not rely on what anyone at any cell phone store may tell you, it will be biased.
    Good Luck
    I did list the places I would like coverage...

Walker, white ranch, Mary Jane and most of Golden and Arvada.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    I have AT&T (personal) and Verizon (work). In almost all cases Verizon beats AT&T. That being said, there are still places where Verizon doesn't get a signal. Also, my coverage is noticably worse with my iPhone (V) than my old Blackberry (V) so your phone plays a big part in this equation.
    Thanks for the feedback Kristian. Seems that my iphone on AT&T is the worst possible combination. I'll look into Verizon coverage.

I've seen the coverage maps and don't trust them because they say I should have coverage in Arvada when I do not.

Chris

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have had t-mobile, Sprint and Verizon. Across the state, of those three, Verizon has the best overall coverage. I had near zero signal at my house near C-470 and Wadsworth and no coverage at my office in Lakewood, though which is bizarre. Lot of spots where signal drops momentarily which is annoying. Outside of that, good coverage across the state.

A bike friend and a different camping friend have AT&T and seems like those two have coverage absolutely everywhere. Bike friend doesn't talk on his much, but the other person does. Camping friend has a signal everywhere we go.

That's all I know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i have a spot connect for sale. Which allows you to send text messages or emails via satellite. No phone calls though.
    jesus rides a fixed gear.

You rode that?!
    Nov 2010
    It truly depends on where you ride the most and the phone you use. I often go to Eagle Rock 4 x 4 area and back when I had att I never had signal, I now have Verizon wit a black berry and i get spotty coverage te higher i go the more bars I get.

Bit You cant blame any of the major carriers, after all, that are going to place antenas where they will get the most bang for their buck, and in the middle of the mointaims is not it.

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by nitecrwlr View Post
    I did list the places I would like coverage...

Walker, white ranch, Mary Jane and most of Golden and Arvada.
    My bad, I did not read it correctly.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

friend of Apex
    This is why I avoid these forums anymore. I'm divorced and have 50/50 custody of my daughter. I like to squeeze in a ride before her up from daycare but worry about mechanical failure or injury. I don't get a signal at White Ranch which is unfortunate because it's 15 minutes from her school.

I didn't ask for your worthless advice and it's cowards like you that are quickly turning a resource like this into a wasteland of flame wars and chicken **** comments.

You did ask for my advice and your original post mentioned "safety" as a need with regards to a phone.
    I simply stated that you can dial 911 from any phone thru any network, and not to rely on your precious cell phone to save you. (read: be prepared)

If a statement like that is why you avoid these forums and is enough to make you call me a coward (on the internet with an anonymous user name, no less ), then maybe you should look at the pouty face you make at the computer screen everytime someone has a differing opinion than yours as a reason this forum sucks...

Now, if it's just a rad phone that has to keep up with your rock n roll lifestyle that you need, I'd recommend Verizon.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Can you be more specific digital? Which trails do you have signals on?
    Sorry, should have elaborated a bit.

It's not simply coverage, it's T-Mo as a whole these days. I've been a customer for over 11 years, and until the AT&T merger went south, they were great. Since that merger fell apart (which I was not a fan of btw) their coverage and customer service has gone in the toilet. I have virtually no coverage at home, which was excellent for years, and the coverage anywhere west of I-25 seems to be intermittent and spotty at best. Where I may have coverage today, I won't tomorrow. Doesn't make any sense, but I have four lines on my account total, and all four act the same way.

Two HTC G1's, HTC HD2 and an HTC HD7. Hardware does not make any difference.

Just my experience.
    39.5506° N, 107.3242° W

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Seems that my iphone on AT&T is the worst possible combination.
    No, you could have an iPhone on Cricket--that would be really bad!

slow
    My Verizon is pretty good most everywhere I ride. However, when a buddy crashed in the Jefferson Creek drainage a while back, I had to climb back to the top of Georgia Pass to get enough reception to reach the helicopter folks.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    My Verizon is pretty good most everywhere I ride. However, when a buddy crashed in the Jefferson Creek drainage a while back, I had to climb back to the top of Georgia Pass to get enough reception to reach the helicopter folks.
    I've been with Verizon since I got my first phone probably 15 years ago. So I really can't offer any comparison info.

Up here around Salida, I generally think of the cell phone as luggage. It's a crappy camera and an MP3 player that's good for about 3 hours before the battery is toast. The GPS in mine has never worked, so it's not even good for that... but enough slagging on my mediocre phone.

I haven't spent any time in the Front Range foothills for a long time, and certainly not tried to use my phone there. Obviously there is more likely to be a tower within line of site when you're near Golden than there will when you're near St Elmo. But as others have said, I don't know that any carrier is going to be really reliable.

As WKD-RDR says, 911 calls will go if there's any carrier's tower around, but it's not really appropriate to use 911 to get your ex to go pick up the kid because you broke your frame but are otherwise unharmed.

So, that brings me to SPOT. The SPOT connect that KonaEnduroJC is offering to sell you implies that you already have a SPOT beacon.

A SPOT beacon alone allows you to send either an OK or Help message to a designated email or list of emails. Of course it also has a 911 button that will summon Search and Rescue. My GF and I have been using my SPOT to allow her to track me when I'm way up in the hills doing something stupid. The last thing I did was really over-the-top stupid so we came up with a system where I would send her an OK if I stopped moving for a while to eat or whatever so she wouldn't worry. I would send her a Help if I wanted her to come get me. And I would send a 911 to S&R if I thought I was going to die.*

That seems like something that could work for you. Arrange with your ex, or whoever you would have go pick up the kid, that if they get a help email from your SPOT, go get her.

I have had my SPOT stop transmitting breadcrumbs when the batteries got low. Looked like it was still working, but wasn't. I've also had it send them intermittently when I was under mega weather. So even that solution isn't perfectly reliable. But it's probably better by an order of magnitude than a cell phone from any carrier.

*I don't have a SPOT so that I can go into the mountains unprepared and have S&R bail me out if anything goes wrong. I seriously will not push 911 unless I think I'm going to die. In fact, earlier this summer I was pinned down by an electric storm at 12,300 feet and suspected I might die, but still didn't push the button. I was waiting for the moment when I was more or less certain of it.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Verizon Iphone works. ATT Iphone no worky. Had an ATT iphone till mid last year, the Verizon one has much better coverage, and doesn't drop calls every 2 minutes.

It used to be that up in Ned west mag area, ATT was all that worked, now with the new towers it seems that Verizon works fine up there.

A bit of a bummer that there is good coverage in Ned proper now though, I liked to be able to be off the grid there.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    I've been with Verizon since I got my first phone probably 15 years ago. So I really can't offer any comparison info.

Up here around Salida, I generally think of the cell phone as luggage. It's a crappy camera and an MP3 player that's good for about 3 hours before the battery is toast. The GPS in mine has never worked, so it's not even good for that... but enough slagging on my mediocre phone.
    Is there any service that works in the Salidastan area?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast