Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best Camera for Front Range

Never thought I'd start one of these....

I'm in the market for a new camera and looking for suggestions. Not entirely off-topic as it will be attached to my camel bak and used primarily on rides and hikes. Looking for a compact or ultra-compact with budget under $300.

Two that I'm looking at are Panasonic Lumix ZS6 and Samsung HZ30W (both on sale at costco). Curious if anyone is using these and what their impressions are? Or, other suggestions?

Gracias.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Let me know what you find out as our p-n-shoot died recently...

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Let me know what you find out as our p-n-shoot died recently...
    I'm dissapointed SS--I expected to see a "use the search" reply...

OP, try searching in Passion--cameras REALLY are not FR specific...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    Damn. Opportunity wasted...

mtbr member
    Ya - I expected a little more sarcasm myself.

Yeah - I know cameras are not FR specific, but I've been really impressed with some of the photos displayed on this forum (Lidarman, XCGuy, Snauzers, etc). It would be helpful to know which cameras people here use, as I'm familiar with their photos.

Quote Originally Posted by kristian

OP, try searching in Passion--cameras REALLY are not FR specific...
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

Team Inflexible
    You know I ran searches as I am in the market for a new pocket camera my self. Searches are a pain in the arse it easier just to creat a new post.

So whats the big deal, post a cool pic and let us know what camera you used.

OP I was also looking at those cameras at Costco.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg
    Yeah - I know cameras are not FR specific, but I've been really impressed with some of the photos displayed on this forum (Lidarman, XCGuy, Snauzers, etc). It would be helpful to know which cameras people here use, as I'm familiar with their photos.
    Just a guess, but they aren't using "compact or ultra-compact with budget under $300."

FWIW, I got a little Canon ELPH (the red one) as a gift and have been pretty underwhelmed by it for action photography. It has a little lag which doesn't bother me, but the picture quality doesn't compare to my Canon G7. For the extra quality, I'll continue to carry a heavier camera.

mtbr member
    Yeah I have a G10....little more money, but way better picture quality especially if you are looking to get large prints.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Never thought I'd start one of these....

I'm in the market for a new camera and looking for suggestions. Not entirely off-topic as it will be attached to my camel bak and used primarily on rides and hikes. Looking for a compact or ultra-compact with budget under $300.

Two that I'm looking at are Panasonic Lumix ZS6 and Samsung HZ30W (both on sale at costco). Curious if anyone is using these and what their impressions are? Or, other suggestions?

Gracias.

I have the Lumix ZS1 and love it. Not the best in low light. But that is par for the course.

No Clue Crew
    The Lumix series has gotten good reviews. Myself, I've got a Canon SD780 and SX100 for when I can't carry my DSLR. I really like the SX100. Small size, 10x zoom. Pretty much any camera you pick nowadays is gonna do a good job, especially if using mostly daylight.

Living the High Life
    Ya - I expected a little more sarcasm myself.
    Go see what JeffCo is using at Apex.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Go see what JeffCo is using at Apex.
    Beat me to it!

Great minds think alike.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member

Best SPY camera for the Front Range...

http://www.reconyx.com/hyperfire.php?model=PC

Just ask JCOS...They've chosen these particualr ones to spy on those at Apex.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by enduroslrider
    http://www.reconyx.com/hyperfire.php?model=PC

Just ask JCOS...They've chosen these particualr ones to spy on those at Apex.

Ha. I had my picture taken by one of those recently and it wasn't at Apex. They're not completely silent.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Grams Light Bikes
    Canon Powershot S90

Rigid in Evergreen
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    Canon Powershot S90

I have one of those, it's a very nice camera... same sensor as the G12 and it shoots RAW, but in a much more compact body. It has comparable image quality to my Lumix LX-3, but much easier to carrier around with the fully retractable lens.

For a bit less money I'd also recommend the Canon SD960 IS and the SD940 IS... compact, 28mm wide lens and great images.

No Clue Crew
    I've heard good things about the S90 as well. It looks great on paper.

I just wish someone would come out with a 16-something lens on a P&S. While carrying my DSLR I find I use my 16-35 A LOT, especially when out hiking, and having manufacturers confine me to 35 or 28mm really SUCKS. I'd love a Gx with a 16-105 lens or something similar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    S90:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/s90.htm

There are many factors that go into what makes a satisfactory point and shoot. Read Rockwell's review of the S90, then read this:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa..._DMC_TZ10_ZS7/

just to give you expert reviewers' opinions of these cameras. I haven't bought a point and shoot for awhile, being a Nikon DSLR geek these days, but my Panny TZ5 still brings it and even my very first Canon, an SD550. It's kinda liberating taking them out, just pointing and shooting without worrying too much.

The longer zoom of the Panasonic is pretty cool, the manual control of the S90 is really cool. I'm more of a wide angle guy these days so the 25mm wide of the Panasonic really appeals to me AND you get a 12x optical zoom. The 28mm wide of the S90 (absolute minimum wide for me these days) is adequate but only a 4x optical zoom, but almost best in class as far as IQ. BTW, I never shoot video or indoors with point and shoots so if low light photography (indoors) or videos is your focus I have no idea what to tell you. I shoot stills indoors with DSLRs and multiple off-camera flashes in my business.

No camera brings it all, each has its niche and I'm not going to recommend anything 'cause I'm sort of out of touch with recent point and shoots. Good shopping!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

xcguy

Greetings,
    Pedal pushers states you may have some Push Industries rockers you may part with. Please contact me @ dbarenburg@hotmail.com Thanks. Doug

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    BTW, I never shoot video or indoors with point and shoots so if low light photography (indoors) or videos is your focus I have no idea what to tell you. I shoot stills indoors with DSLRs and multiple off-camera flashes in my business.
    Get a DSLR or be dissapointed...

Most of them are barely usable at 800 ISO and the cameras that go to 1600+ are pitiful at that ISO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    Get a DSLR or be dissapointed...

Most of them are barely usable at 800 ISO and the cameras that go to 1600+ are pitiful at that ISO.
    That is true. However, I come from a point and shoot background, shooting ride pics for years. I never shot indoors. For my purposes I was completely satisfied with what I got from my Canons and Panasonics. Only now that I shoot with DSLRs do I know their "limitations" (as DSLR peeps are more than willing to point out). I'm trying not to give advice to someone wanting a decent point and shoot from the perspective of a DSLR user. I use them because my business demands them. My TZ5 or Canon SD880 take great ride shots, outdoors in good light. That's all that mattered to me once upon a time and, probably, to the majority of casual photographers out there. Talking about "barely usable at ISO 800" doesn't really mean much to somebody who might be only shooting outdoors, as I solely did for years and years.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Yappy little dog!

Right up my alley!

Lumix DMC-LX3

There is no substitute for p&s quality.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Talking about "barely usable at ISO 800" doesn't really mean much to somebody who might be only shooting outdoors, as I solely did for years and years.
    That's why I quoted your line about only shooting indoors and not in low light. For most daylight situations and many indoor situations any P&S will be perfect. Once the light starts to go so does the picture quality...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    For a bike/hike camera, I'm a big fan of the panasonic waterproof/sandproof/shockproof
    DMC-ts2 (we have the ts-1 and the ts-2 is supposed to be more durable), ought to last a lot longer in those conditions. Being crash prone I keep mine in a Pelican case anyway, but nice to be able to take it out and not worry about dirt or rain, and the 720p video is pretty fun. Like several have said, the really beatiful FR pics I've seen here are largely with SLR setups. You can take pretty good pics with a point and shoot if you know what you are doing and the conditions are good, but even a cheap used starter vintage Nikon d50 and the kit lens ought to be around 300$ used now or less, and can take awesome pics

killin clear creek
    As a photographer, I'm pretty snobby about IQ on my images.
    I shoot a 7D with L glass & rarely compromise when it comes to cameras. If I was to need to carry a camera in my pocket, it would be a G series (newest that you can afford) the difference in IQ between an S series & a G is disgusting. Not a big size difference, not a HUGE price difference, but a monster quality difference. The only other P&S cams that are in the class with the G are much more $$.

I'd say get a DSLR... but you look REALLY silly riding with a 5DmkII with a 28-200 in your pocket!
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast