mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Best bike park to work at?

I'm considering working at a bike park this summer (usually a raft guide), and am trying to narrow it down. I have it down to Winter Park, Keystone, Crested Butte, and Northstar in CA. As for living which town do you think would be best? I plan on doing plenty of non park riding as well, which has me currently leaning towards Crested Butte and Northstar. Anyone have any experience working at any of these resorts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If you go with Winter Park, you also get Granby Ranch (Solvista) right up the road. There's also a TON of XC riding in the Fraser Valley.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Winter Parks central location definitely keeps me interested, I just wasn't sure if there was much riding outside of the park. I haven't found a ton of info looking for trails in the area, any trail names to do some digging around on?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Keystone has a trail crew??

just kidding..

As far as places to live for a summer, Crested Butte blows them all away in my opinion. Super fun, tons of great non bike park riding right from town or down in Gunnison, or shuttles on monarch pass.
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    Crested Butte blows them all away in my opinion. Super fun, tons of great non bike park riding right from town or down in Gunnison, or shuttles on monarch pass.
    This. Plus Aspen is just a pass away...but, I wouldn't say it blows your other options away - I would be stoked to spend the summer at any of those locations.

mtbr member
    Another thing to consider is snow depths...as in when places will melt and open. Most CO resorts have gotten a crap-ton of snow. So unless a heatwave happens and we get rain instead of snow during the late winter/early spring season (typ. a very precip heavy month), I'd be anticipating a late start for resort and high country riding.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Another thing to consider is snow depths...as in when places will melt and open. Most CO resorts have gotten a crap-ton of snow. So unless a heatwave happens and we get rain instead of snow during the late winter/early spring season (typ. a very precip heavy month), I'd be anticipating a late start for resort and high country riding.
    good point, although, way too early to tell. If it continues like this, we may never ride in the high country, but then again, it could go dry in March and April and be warm and the season could start earlier..
    BBZ

a dad
    Jan 2004
    snowpack info..

This website shows the percentages.. its helpful to see we are above normal for most of the state..

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/reports...+Update+Report
    BBZ

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhead View Post
    This. Plus Aspen is just a pass away...but, I wouldn't say it blows your other options away - I would be stoked to spend the summer at any of those locations.
    hmmm.. I just think the town of Crested Butte has a lot more going on than the other Colorado ski resorts in the summer (can't comment on Northstar).. and its just much more scenic than Winter Park in my opinion.
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Good call on the snowpack. I plan on applying to all of them, so perhaps whichever one is opening the earliest. My only concern with the Butte is finding cheap lodging since its so small and they don't appear to do employee housing. Looks like it will be an awesome summer for rafting, though. If anyone is thinking about trying it out, this summer will be the time to do it.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I sincerely hope it's just a warmup and not a water on/water off thing...where then we turn into California. I'd rather have slightly muddy trails due to rain than not being able to ride because the State is on fire.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

not actually bad :)
    So unless a heatwave happens and we get rain instead of snow during the late winter/early spring season
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    it could go dry in March and April and be warm

Bite your tongues!
    Old Codger

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I sincerely hope it's just a warmup and not a water on/water off thing...where then we turn into California. I'd rather have slightly muddy trails due to rain than not being able to ride because the State is on fire.
    Fires are bad, agreed, not wishing for it, but you just don't know, for instance, this weekend will be ridiculously warm and those snowpack numbers will go down in some areas, may be 70 degrees in Denver..
    BBZ

The 5th knuckle
    Since you are a river rat as well I say Crusty Butt. You can guide early season run off until the trails appear and then hit the bike park. Easy two for one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The company I work for actually has an office in Idaho Springs as well, so there should be no shortage of rafting. Then again, the hottest raft guide I've ever met who is also on the women's race team does work in Gunni...

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by seanpatrickb View Post
    The company I work for actually has an office in Idaho Springs as well, so there should be no shortage of rafting. Then again, the hottest raft guide I've ever met who is also on the women's race team does work in Gunni...
    Tri-fecta for the WIN.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.