Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007

Best 14er singletrack.

After seeing videos of people riding Mt. Elbert and Pikes Peak, i would like to challenge myself to do the same. Which singetrack 14er open to bikes is the most accessible and has the least hike-a-bike? I suppose with Pike's you could ride the road to the top, which might be a good option considering the trail has significant hike a bike, but i'd like to take the trail back down.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Just a guess since I've not climbed all the 14ers... but probably Elbert.

Born With A Tail
    Bikes aren't allowed on the Pikes Peak Rd., and I think it cost $20 to drive (shuttle vehicle), but it is worth doing at least once. When I did it, we started at Glen Cove rather than going all the way to the top. I don't think it would be a good idea on a weekend because of all the hikers on the Barr Trail. You might want to start with fresh brake pads as well.
    Tequila tonight, tomorrow we ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Jan 1, of this year you can pedal on the road to the top!

mtbr member
    I had a friend drop me and 3 friends on the top of Pikes a while ago. It was in the fall on a weekday, before the first snow. there really isn't too much hike a bike to get to the riding. It was a blast riding down the Barr trail.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'll go out on a limb and say that none of the trails that go to the top of 14ers, even the more recent ones built by CFI were not built with bicycles in mind. I suppose you can push up and burn your brakes down just about any non wilderness 14er with a designated, bike legal trail but that personally doesn't appeal to me. There are way too many trails out there, even trails that go into the high alpine that are much more suited to bikes.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    I'll go out on a limb and say that none of the trails that go to the top of 14ers, even the more recent ones built by CFI were not built with bicycles in mind. I suppose you can push up and burn your brakes down just about any non wilderness 14er with a designated, bike legal trail but that personally doesn't appeal to me. There are way too many trails out there, even trails that go into the high alpine that are much more suited to bikes.
    That's very un-Strava of you.

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Yeah, that's kinda the point, something challenging and new. All the best epic rides have hike a bike.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    That's very un-Strava of you.
    What's Strava?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by dthomp325 View Post
    Yeah, that's kinda the point, something challenging and new. All the best epic rides have hike a bike.
    Well - to zrm's point - there are *tons* of great "off the radar" rides with lots of hike-a-bike that are more quality than doing a 14'er. But heck - if you wanna do a 14'er... have at it!

You can PM IE (IndecentExposure) directly - he's done Elbert.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    What's Strava?
    Don't play dumb with me, Old Man.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Not singletrack, but park at Echo Lake and ride up the paved road to the top of Mt. Evans. I did that seven times one summer. Last time was like riding around a lake. Funny getting to the top (14,264') feeling all refreshed and watching the tourists fall out of their cars gasping for air.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

not mt antero. that jeep road is hellish

definitely interested in doing pikes peak though, if its true that the roads open to bikes now. then down the barr trail

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Well - to zrm's point - there are *tons* of great "off the radar" rides with lots of hike-a-bike that are more quality than doing a 14'er. But heck - if you wanna do a 14'er... have at it!

You can PM IE (IndecentExposure) directly - he's done Elbert.
    There are tons of on the radar trails with hike a bike. Personally I'm OK with a bit of HaB but not thousands of vertical and hours of pushing. If I want to hike up and slide down (which is what you'll do on most 14er trails with a bike much to the displeasure of those who built and maintain them) I'll do it on snow with my skis thank you very much.

YMMV of course.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Best 14er single and double track

I started this endeavor last year. I had a buddy that was crazy like me say, "hey, let's ride our bikes to Mt. Missouri and back". I thought, "this is nuts". But we did it and I was instantly hooked. I've learned over the last year that most of the approaches to the 14ers are bikeable. Above treeline, not so much. It's best to stash the bike and hike to the top. The ride down is your reward.

Amy's top 10:

#1. Mt. Princeton: park at the main lot at 8,900 on road 322. You can ride all the way to ~12,000 and stash the bike. The trail to the top is not bikeable or safe with all the traffic. The ride back down 322 is BEST downhill where brakes are not required. Also you could connect to the Colorado Trail on this road if so desired.

#2. Gray's/Torreys: You can ride all the way to the top of Gray's. This is the Continental Divide. Torrey's is not bikeable IMO.

#3. Pike's Peak: Barr Trail. Yes there is a lot of traffic but just be nice and the hikers will be impressed. This is the best 10 miles of downhill singletrack on any 14er.

#4. Mt. Sherman. You can stash your bike in over by the old mine shacks at about 12,800'. The ride down is loose and slippery.

#5. Castle Peak: You can ride all the way to 12,800 on the road. The rest is not bikeable. The ride down is technical. I say, hold on tight and go for it.

#6. Como road takes you to Little Bear, Blanca and Ellingwood. This road is touted as Colorado's nastiest road. You can ride all the way to the lake at 11,750. The peaks are not bikeable, at all. The ride back down will rattle your teeth.

#7. Missouri: the West ridge will take you to Clohesy lake. The other routes are in wilderness. No bikes allowed.

#8. Mt. Elbert: it's more technical than you'd expect but bikeable to the top. Not my favorite because of all the traffic and narrow trail to share.

#9. Mt. Antero option #1: park at the Colorado Trail via Chalk lake and ride to Brown's lake. The approach to Brown's lake sees a lot of equestrian usage and they of course hate bikers. Also, it's a lot of hike-a-bike. After Brown's lake you can ride all the way to 13,700'! Awesome. The summit is not bikeable.

#10. Mt Antero option #2: the standard approach up the West slopes via Baldwin Gulch. Again you can get to 13,700. The ride down is rougher than Como road IMO. Or...you could connect #9 and #10 for a loop vs. an out-n-back. A whole day of suffering. Just want you like, right?

The rest of the 14ers either I haven't done yet or are in wilderness.

Watch out, you'll get hooked like me.
    Let me know what you think....

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    There are tons of on the radar trails with hike a bike. Personally I'm OK with a bit of HaB but not thousands of vertical and hours of pushing.
    But that's 'cause you're a soft Old Man.
    If I want to hike up and slide down (which is what you'll do on most 14er trails with a bike much to the displeasure of those who built and maintain them)
    More travel, bro'. Oh, and MOAR SPEED AND PULL UP!!
    I'll do it on snow with my skis thank you very much.
    Heyyyyyy... now you're talkin.

lucky enough
    Quote Originally Posted by amykayblazintoes View Post
    I've learned over the last year that most of the approaches to the 14ers are bikeable. Above treeline, not so much. It's best to stash the bike and hike to the top. The ride down is your reward.
    Thanks for the list. Good reference!
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    I seem to recall being nearly able to ride to the top of Sunshine Peak outside of Lake City. It has been years, but I remember getting really close. Incredible area to ride long, steep, dirt roads as well.

mtbr member
    #2. Gray's/Torreys: You can ride all the way to the top of Gray's. This is the Continental Divide. Torrey's is not bikeable IMO.
    fyi...this is not legal from the Stephen's Gulch (east) side.
    in the ghetto of Evergreen

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

You are right

Quote Originally Posted by indianhillsted View Post
    fyi...this is not legal from the Stephen's Gulch (east) side.
    I should clarify Gray's Peak...do this route via Argentine pass from the Keystone side. Super sweet!

lone rider
    I should clarify Gray's Peak...do this route via Argentine pass from the Keystone side. Super sweet!
    According to the WRNF final travel management plan map it is foot animal only.
    This is from the disclaimer:
    Summer travel period begins May 21 at 00:00 and ends November 22 at 23:59. All motorized and mechanized modes of travel must be on designated routes. All motorized categories generally allow mechanized (bicycle), animal (horse), and foot (hike) unless otherwise specified. All mechanized will allow animal (horse) and foot (hike) unless otherwise specified. Animal (horse) and foot (hike) are allowed to travel across country and generally on all routes. There are some routes that limit animal (horse) use for safety reasons. There may be some routes that are specific to a particular use only that does not fit the standard use categories. These and other exceptions will be specifically noted in a separate table.

Sounds like they want bicycles to stay on designated routes and not travel across country.
    I’m usually pushing or carrying my bike anyway.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by big galoot View Post
    According to the WRNF final travel management plan map it is foot animal only.
    This is from the disclaimer:
    Summer travel period begins May 21 at 00:00 and ends November 22 at 23:59. All motorized and mechanized modes of travel must be on designated routes. All motorized categories generally allow mechanized (bicycle), animal (horse), and foot (hike) unless otherwise specified. All mechanized will allow animal (horse) and foot (hike) unless otherwise specified. Animal (horse) and foot (hike) are allowed to travel across country and generally on all routes. There are some routes that limit animal (horse) use for safety reasons. There may be some routes that are specific to a particular use only that does not fit the standard use categories. These and other exceptions will be specifically noted in a separate table.

Sounds like they want bicycles to stay on designated routes and not travel across country.
    I’m usually pushing or carrying my bike anyway.
    Bicycles and other wheeled vehicles are restricted to designated trails on all Forest Service land. This is nation wide and it's not a request, it's law.

lone rider
    Bicycles and other wheeled vehicles are restricted to designated trails on all Forest Service land. This is nation wide and it's not a request, it's law.
    So I can’t carry my bike across country on Forest Service land or on a FS trail that doesn't allow mechanized vehicles? Really . OK I get the wilderness areas I think you are pushing it a little far here.
    Maybe you could give us some clarification on this.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by big galoot View Post
    So I can’t carry my bike across country on Forest Service land or on a FS trail that doesn't allow mechanized vehicles? Really . OK I get the wilderness areas I think you are pushing it a little far here.
    Maybe you could give us some clarification on this.
    I'm fairly certain you can *carry* your bike cross-country. Just can't *ride* willy-nilly wherever you want through the National Forest.

lone rider
    I'm fairly certain you can *carry* your bike cross-country. Just can't *ride* willy-nilly wherever you want through the National Forest.
    I don‘t *ride* willy-nilly through the National Forest but I might push the public roads and trails RS a bit.

I just don’t like the trend in the lat 10 or 15 years seems like we are loosing out on some trails we could be ridding. Some of that CDT stuff doesn’t even get hiked much. Go COMBA and IMBA. Yea I know they have their priorities.

Here is the latest one I came across when reading about the Soda Creek Trail System :

• Mountain bikes may only be used on trails marked with a mountain bike symbol. If there is no sign, it is closed to that use

I know of a few trails in the area ridden by mtb’ers that are not signed.

• Open In Winter To: X-C SKIING, SNOWSHOEING
    • Open In Summer To: HIKING, HORSE, MTN. BIKING

I herd this a great place to ride your fat bike in thee winter from one of the locals. This was something I was planning on doing but guess not any more.

Well anyway back to the original disclaimer.
    I didn't catch a few things on the WRNF Master Plan they kind of snuck them in under my radar.
    Such as those hiker horse designations that weren't in place before the WRNF Final Plan.

The one that chaps my hide the most is the change in designation of the trail that goes from the west portal of the Eisenhower Tunnel to the top of the divide
    One of my buddy’s made the annual pilgrimage from Georgetown over Argentine to Dillon up Straight Creek and over the divide. I have dreamed of doing this ride in some form.
    So I figure if I am carrying my bike I am safe. My feet are my mode of travel. Those Bastards!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast