mtbr member

BerthoudPass snowboarding advice

Anyone here ever ridden Berthoud Pass and hitched back up? Any advice or help would be great. Anyone willing to ride with me and my mates to show us the way would be even better...there's beer in it for you!

Does anyone know of any forums or websites with info...I've tried a search but there's lots of really bad ones.

Thanks

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Not so much on boarding info but IMPORTANT info. If you are willing to earn your turns it should be great today, just have avy gear and the knowledge to use it. Butler Gulch is also good but a longer approach to get to the skiable or boardable terrain. Splitboards are good for that! check here berthoudpass.org

hope that helps a little

on my 3rd wind...
    After 25min of waiting for hitch, never again. I prefer hiking up from top of the pass and ride down to same point.

As OP suggested, I prefer Butler Gulch now. I skinned up with splitboard 2 weeks ago but my friends with snowshoes were outpacing me without even breaking a sweat. But there is somethig to be said about skinning up.
    sth

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Berthoud has lots of great skiing and also lots of dangerous avalanche terrain. You can ski there all day and not put yourself in serious danger, but if you are not avy savvy you can easily become a statistic. Just make sure you have the tools to make good decisions based on terrain and conditions.

Websites that you can ask for beta are www.telemarktips.com which has lots of experienced people. It is perhaps a bit more sedate than some people are looking for. Another is www.tetongravity.com TGR is definitely a bit more youth testosterone oriented if that is more you thing. You can get good information from either place.

Have fun and be safe

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Just make sure that before you venture out to Berthoud that you are properly equipped with an avalanche beacon, shovel, probe, the knowledge to use all three, and finally, the knowledge to recognize and safely manage avy terrain.

mtbr member
    Thanks
    my mates are over from England this week and have all the gear and knowledge, thankfully never needed to use it before...maybe we'll stick to Vail Pass with the snowmobile since we'll be based in Frisco

enlightened.
    Dec 2005

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The more you leave the snowmobile behind and use your legs and lungs, the more you see, feel, and hear and the more you'll learn about snow.

mtbr member

update

thanks form all the help and advice. we stuck to the Vail Pass area and had a blast. Got deep, fresh snow everyday we went, the mornings were bluebird, the afternoons were windy, cloudy and cold but that brought more snow. We carried all the avy gear, extra food, water, first aid kit etc but thankfully didn't need any of it. Only one mishap with the snowmobile going crazy and diving into a treewell but brain over brawn got it out without a bead of sweat. My mates had a great time and are already planning their next trip over the pond next season.

here's a few pics
    Attached Images Attached Images