Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bergen Peak

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Bergen Peak

Rode this yesterday. Clockwise. Frickin' awesome ride for sure. I'm wondering how often this thing gets cleaned (the climb), and additionally, what are some folks climb times who do clean it. Haven't cleaned it yet, although getting closer - my goal for this season. ...decided to turn around at the Bergen/Too Long junction and descend Bergen, quite the fun DH (IMHO, descending Begen has more flow, but Too Long has its merits as well)
    Spiral out, keep going...

feel the Force
    Wow, Bergen is rideable in early March!? That's definitely a first. The trail's not too hard to clean, it just takes lots of aerobic fitness. If you can go from parking lot to summit in under an hour, you're moving pretty well.
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    will nature make a man of me yet...
    -Morrissey

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The steep, sustained hill once you make the south ridge is the killer for me fitness-wise. Sure seems like the parking lot to summit climb makes other front range climbs seem short.
    Spiral out, keep going...

friend of Apex
    +1 on surprised to hear its ridable, I made it to 8700ft the other day, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
    The ride is very cleanable up, and definately one of my favorites on the FR

If you rode it clockwise, you surely met my nemesis...
    The rock that pertrudes out at about chest height, about 1/2 way down, a little techy underneath, with a tree right after it.

Haven't ever been able to manuever around it.

Ate sh1t there many years back, now I walk it with my head hung low... pretending not to hear the rock laugh as I walk my bike around it....

One day, maybe
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Hmmm, I've hiked this once, but it was a few years back. I don't remember anything about clockwise or counter. Where does the split happen?

simple
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbjedi1
    Wow, Bergen is rideable in early March!? That's definitely a first. The trail's not too hard to clean, it just takes lots of aerobic fitness. If you can go from parking lot to summit in under an hour, you're moving pretty well.
    Define "not too hard". I've never seen someone clean the whole thing without going back to try again. So yeah, never seen a no-dab up that climb, and I ride with some of the best riders on the front range. Hate this kind of post, but saying it isn't "too hard" is the understatement of the year so far...so far..

anyway, I'm stoked to hear it is dry this early. its been a pretty crazily mild winter.

how heavy are you ??

in addition

there is EPO use and some sort of fish paralyzer you have to take to make that a easy climb!
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H?

hehe ...you said "member"
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottay5150
    there is EPO use and some sort of fish paralyzer you have to take to make that a easy climb!
    Hear that ... I almost cleaned it once, but I had just a minor foot dab when I stopped to puke and pass out
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

tiny rider
    I don't think it counts as a dab if you only touch your own vomit.

Thanks for the trail report.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Defintely a brutal, yet awesome ride. Try too hard and the puke-factor can go up quickly. I pretend to stop and enjoy the view by choice...and have accidentally discovered it really enhances the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by 69erSycip
    Define "not too hard".

Either that or define "clean". The person that can clean it all and make it look "...not too hard..." is Superman in my book. And Superman is a fictional character.

Ed

feel the Force
    Define "not too hard". I've never seen someone clean the whole thing without going back to try again. So yeah, never seen a no-dab up that climb, and I ride with some of the best riders on the front range. Hate this kind of post, but saying it isn't "too hard" is the understatement of the year so far...so far..

anyway, I'm stoked to hear it is dry this early. its been a pretty crazily mild winter.
    not too hard = cleanable every time.

define "best riders in the front range".
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    -Morrissey

Well, you sound confident and maybe have done it. Definitely impressive. No stops, no dabs, no shoulders/hands against trunks, no do-overs, clipped in all the way, clean from bottom to tippy-top, and then top to bottom - not too hard

Funny thing is, now my gf is all over cleaning the whole thing. She looked at me like I had three heads when I told it was near impossible. I've seen her clean an awful lot on that climb but not all at once. She is now on a mission and I will be a mere spectator...if I can keep her in my sights

I usually climb and descend Too Long, definitely my favorite trail. I can't stand the southern trail for some reason.

This reminds me of "The Wall" challenge.

Ed

drinks from the fountain
    I have to agree with mtbjedi. Bergen is not that tough technically. If you've got the lungs it's doable . Too Long isn't. Some of those switchbacks are tight and LOOSE.
    pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Let There Be Dirt

feel the Force
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    Well, you sound confident and maybe have done it. Definitely impressive. No stops, no dabs, no shoulders/hands against trunks, no do-overs, clipped in all the way, clean from bottom to tippy-top, and then top to bottom - not too hard

Funny thing is, now my gf is all over cleaning the whole thing. She looked at me like I had three heads when I told it was near impossible. I've seen her clean an awful lot on that climb but not all at once. She is now on a mission and I will be a mere spectator...if I can keep her in my sights

I usually climb and descend Too Long, definitely my favorite trail. I can't stand the southern trail for some reason.

Ed
    The Wall appears to be really hard now, and I haven't been down there since before the stairs were put in. Note what I said - "not too hard" doesn't mean it's easy by any stretch. There are certainly folk who can clean it every time - unlike the Wall. I think even Jungle Jay Henry wouldn't clean the Wall every time. I also agree about the descent down Too Long - super fun!
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    -Morrissey

feel the Force
    bad link? didn't work for me...
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    -Morrissey

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    bad link? didn't work for me...
    I guess that means it's impossible.

Let There Be Dirt

feel the Force
    Ok, That took me almost the entire clip to realize he was riding without brakes! That was sick.
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    -Morrissey

Thread Terrorist

No brakes!

As a trials rider... OMG! I tried riding without using my brakes once.... landed on my ass and almost broke an arm!!!

Thread Terrorist
    Your GF is GNAR!!!

hmmm... quite the opposite for me... although I don't think I've actually tried it that way. Perhaps I will soon!

You mean this?

short version

and the tribulations of getting there (Yes, I was there with the President! Yep, the celeb himself!).... of comba

simple

define "best riders in the front range".
    team.bikeparts.com/ - look for updates with our new team members

+ I ride with many other top 10 Pro XC racers and I haven't seen any of them clean Bergen Peak every time. I guess if we slowed down and rode in the granny it would help, but what is the fun in that?

Thread Terrorist
    team.bikeparts.com/ - look for updates with our new team members

+ I ride with many other top 10 Pro XC racers and I haven't seen any of them clean Bergen Peak every time. I guess if we slowed down and rode in the granny it would help, but what is the fun in that?
    You must be Pro. Pro's are cool.

The Notorious S.L.O

I would never consider

myself as one of the best riders in the front range, not even close, but there are only two spots that I have NEVER cleaned on the way to the summit, going clockwise, descending on Too long, and never cleaned the remaining challenging sections on the same ride, but I speculate that if I can clean all but those two sections on seperate days, there is someone who can tie them all together, and the others are doable in my opinion, just not by me.

Oh, the tree/rock combo section referred to on too long, always walk that.
    Age brings a new perspective for me, walking 30ft on 3+ mile ride, does not bug as it used to.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast