Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shread Ready

Benjamin trail 4 PM Today!

Yo People.. . Looks like this trail opens today! I was going to go for the ribbon cutting but I'm a little tired and it might be muddy since BMA list Doudy Draw as muddy. Just an FYI.
    http://www.bouldercounty.org/apps/ne...=2620&zoneid=1

I'll probably go check it out tomorrow.

not actually bad :)
    Unless things have changed since the only time I've been to Betasso, better not go tomorrow - it's closed to bikes on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I was there this morning and it was great, no mud, perfect traction, rare conditions.

mtbr member
    Great conditions around 5:30. Damp, but not muddy.

Benjamin loop is about a mile clockwise from the Betasso trailhead. Then another half mile connector to the loop. The loop (also regulated clockwise this month) is 3.1 miles according to the sign. Benjamin loop is just like the singletrack portions of Betasso. Good flow, not a lot of rocks. Certainly beginner, but still fun. Today was definitely crowded, but that should get better now that there is basically twice as much trail at Betasso.

And according to the signs, bikes are still banned on Wednesdays/Saturdays.

contains quinine

National Trails Day Work

BMA will be out for NTD helping to build the connector to 4-mile. It'll open up riding options a ton.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Shread Ready
    Right on. Glad a few of you got to go check it out. Amazingly somehow I don't think I've even ridden this area! For some reason I thought it was connected to Marshall Mesa/Doudy Draw area. Thanks for the info on closures for mountain biking. It looks like I won't be able to ride it until next week with the rain. Oh well, I'm stocked to finally hit something new and close on the FR! Sounds like a good trail for the Hardtail.

contains quinine
    Here's some good pictures of the trial: http://www.elevationoutdoors.com/blo...oulder-county/
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    rode is yesterday eve, a bunch of fun, an unexpected - we had no idea they were opening a new trail. fast, rolling, fun. few rocks which is welcome!

not actually bad :)
    That looks like a lot of fun.
    I liked Betasso the time I went there, just too far of a drive with all the other stuff out my door in Golden.
    WIll have to bring the family though and check out the new stuff.
    Old Codger

Tossin the salad.
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    That looks like a lot of fun.
    I liked Betasso the time I went there, just too far of a drive with all the other stuff out my door in Golden.
    WIll have to bring the family though and check out the new stuff.

Andy - I don't want to hear these kind of excusses when I get out there buddy!!

giggling bastard
    Rode the new Betasso loop today--it's awesome. Same character as the other loop: swoopy and flowy with a mixture of slippery gravel and pine-needle-y dirt. Super fun. They did a great job building this trail, and I'm glad they kept it one-way, that cuts down on how many people you see while riding it.
    Perfection is my middle name
    and whatever rhymes with eloquent

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Need to get up there and check it out. How many hikers is that loop going to see? Seems like very few, given how long of a hike it would be, right? That plus one-way riding will make it pretty sweet, I imagine.

650b me
    I've lived on the Front Range for 17 years, but never rode Betasso until today. I guess I needed more than 3 miles of trail to justify the drive from Golden. Well, it was worth it! Worth it, that is, if you like swoopy hardpack through the trees. Anyone fit that description on here? Conditions could not have been better....hero dirt all the way. Slap on your semi-slicks for this one. Nice job, Boulder County!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    I've lived on the Front Range for 17 years, but never rode Betasso until today. I guess I needed more than 3 miles of trail to justify the drive from Golden. Well, it was worth it! Worth it, that is, if you like swoopy hardpack through the trees. Anyone fit that description on here? Conditions could not have been better....hero dirt all the way. Slap on your semi-slicks for this one. Nice job, Boulder County!
    Glad you liked it GB.

But for the record Boulder still sucks...So keep this secret.

Shread Ready
    Finally got up and road this yesterday. It was really nice to be out riding something for the first time! It was a pretty easy ride but I like that. I did the benjamin loop 2x since 6 miles didn't seen like enough. I guess it was about 9 after doing the benjamin loop 2x. The 2nd time around the loop was REALLY fun on my HT. It was fast a flowy! Gotta like the one way traffic. Good times. Thanks to the people that made this happen.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Write Up

Saw this write-up on the new trail

http://alchemistthreadworks.wordpres...asso-preserve/

Shread Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by co-dlk View Post
    Thanks. Gave him some props on the write up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyd View Post
    They did a great job building this trail, and I'm glad they kept it one-way, that cuts down on how many people you see while riding it.
    I rode it for the first time yesterday, and if they didn't make it one way I can pretty much guarantee that at some point someone would fall off the side of a veritable cliff trying to avoid a collision.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here are some screenshots of the new stuff from google earth. Betasso loop is on the left, the new Benjamin loop is on the right. Third image shows the bidirectional part of the trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Benjamin trail 4 PM Today!-betasso-benjamin-1.jpg  

Benjamin trail 4 PM Today!-betasso-benjamin-2.jpg  

Benjamin trail 4 PM Today!-betasso-benjamin-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Just rode the trail today. It is amazing. Great flow. It is what picture rock should of been but with some technical sections.

This is the best new trail Boulder has seen in a while. It is really that good.

Erik

mtbr member
    Rode for the first time yesterday. Kinda dissapointed. Maybe it was because my ss gearing was too small, but couldn't get good speed or flow going. Wasnt worth the drive imo. Otoh, would make a nice family hike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno View Post
    Rode for the first time yesterday. Kinda dissapointed. Maybe it was because my ss gearing was too small, but couldn't get good speed or flow going. Wasnt worth the drive imo. Otoh, would make a nice family hike.
    I felt my 27 gears were setup just right for this wonderful trail.

Rolling
    So if you didn't drive, would it have been worth it?

Is your SS gearing too small for the link trail too?

I'm bummed about your experience--no wait happy. I hope people hate this trail and hate Boulder so trails are less crowded.

Boulder trails suck! Stay away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman View Post
    So if you didn't drive, would it have been worth it?

Is your SS gearing too small for the link trail too?

I'm bummed about your experience--no wait happy. I hope people hate this trail and hate Boulder so trails are less crowded.

Boulder trails suck! Stay away.
    I guess what I meant to say was with gas prices nowadays, it's not worth the drive unless you live Boulder. Too many better trails down here in jeffco and Douglas to keep me busy. Not trying to say Boulder sucks, was just referring to Betasso.

With the ss, I was spinning like mad and hardly getting up to speed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I guess what I meant to say was with gas prices nowadays, it's not worth the drive unless you live Boulder. Too many better trails down here in jeffco and Douglas to keep me busy. Not trying to say Boulder sucks, was just referring to Betasso.

With the ss, I was spinning like mad and hardly getting up to speed.
    made me think of the Monday, May 9, 2011 post:

http://hipsterpuppies.tumblr.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast