Stiff yet compliant

Benjamin loop direction opinions.

For people that have ridden Benjamin loop both directions now, do you prefer one direction over the other? Would you support having it that direction for bikes permanently instead of the alternating schedule?

feel the Force
    sooo much better clockwise, but i'm ok with alternating it for erosion control, if that's an issue.
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    will nature make a man of me yet...
    -Morrissey

Rolling
    Only ridden it CCW but everyone I talked to likes it CW.

Personally I'm up for switching it up. It's easy. It's different and there are a zillion other trails one can ride if that particular month is bad for your taste.

However that said. You can't get complete variety if both the main loop and Benjamin switch at the same time--otherwise the same combo it ridden every other month. There needs to be a staggered switch. There should be four combos on this trail. I haven't followed up if this is happening but is should be.

I plan to bring this up with the proper folks next chance..

Oh, So Interesting!
    only ccw but it looks like cw would be much better. Going, ccw, the dh stretch before the beginning of the loop seems fast and dangerous.

Rock n' Roller
    Ridden both. Prefer cw. Both are fabulous either way, and I totally support switching it up - but more than once a month. Maybe every two weeks? It's always fun to add some spice to life, isn't it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbjedi1 View Post
    sooo much better clockwise, but i'm ok with alternating it for erosion control, if that's an issue.
    I agree!

not actually bad :)
    A little OT, but I mentioned this in the other thread and no response. Maybe I'll try here.
    And don't know any history on this, so maybe it's not do-able.
    Would it be possible to get a Saturday or 2 a month that are open to bikes, rather than Sundays?
    Of course, this is coming from a non-Boulder County resident, and I know you guys don't like us riding up there, so - maybe not?
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy! View Post
    A little OT, but I mentioned this in the other thread and no response. Maybe I'll try here.
    And don't know any history on this, so maybe it's not do-able.
    Would it be possible to get a Saturday or 2 a month that are open to bikes, rather than Sundays?
    Of course, this is coming from a non-Boulder County resident, and I know you guys don't like us riding up there, so - maybe not?
    i thought about that idea, but i do think the Saturday non-bikes are good for the area. Saturday is typically the busiest day for trail use anyways and it gets so much traffic as it is so it's probably for the best to help balance out the trail traffic. I imagine if they did have it open to bikes on Saturday, it might not be much fun for bikes and/or hikers due to the traffic.

Betasso could be a prime example of how to balance trail traffic on some of the busiest trails in the front range. one-way loops, non-biker trail days...obviously that doesn't work everywhere, but it's a win-win situation for everybody that uses the trails.

just my 2 cents...

Stiff yet compliant
    I think the alternating direction is about trying to keep things interesting for people, not erosion control.
    I just wanted to see if there was a consensus within the biking community that it was better in one direction and people would like to see it that direction permanently for bikes. The suggestion could then be brought up with certain people.

As far as switching the weekend closed day, I don't really know if that is possible. I'm sure the idea has been suggested before. They probably want to keep things consistent and as simple as possible so everyone knows what to expect.
    Of course... in Boulder Sunday is just Saturday part 2 so it doesn't make a big difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah I hate cranking up the link trail only to find its the wrong day. Happened again this season, I'd forgotten which day it was, again. Simple is good. If we alternate it should be even-odd or some rule that's consistent.

I'd like to see a second connector from betasso to benjamin - maybe starting at that old road at the top of the hill. If the loops are running the same direction (both CW or both CCW), then this would allow you to loop:

- betasso by itself
    - betasso and the two connectors (and a short strech of benjamin)
    - betasso, the two connectors and benjamin. Sort of a figure 8 but with 3 loops instead of 2.
    - benjamin and the two connectors (and a short stretch of betasso).
    - benjamin by itself.

Plus the connectors would be one way which would be great - the connector between betasso and benjamin is a little scary with 2 way traffic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Benjamin loop direction opinions.-betasso-benjamin-flow.png  

lucky enough
    I think they are switching up Benjamin every couple of weeks. I have ridden Betasso both directions and each time went the same direction (CW) on Benjamin.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Benjamin is much better CW in my opinion. CCW isn't even half as much fun. And I agree the connector can be a bit dicey, as some d-bags just haul ass around the relatively blind corners like they own the place. Not much to be done about that though, sadly.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Can We Know the Direction in Advance?

I agree w/ many who have indicated that CW is much better than CCW. Does anyone know a way to find out the direction before getting to Betasso? I'm always disappointed when I arrive at Benjamin and learn that the direction is CCW.

lucky enough
    For me there is not a great deal of difference CW or CCW. I don't know what makes some folks so much prefer CW.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine