mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Beginner Travel advice

Hey guys,

I live in South Florida and I'm looking to plan a trip up North (i.e. Colorado, BC) for this summer. I've been riding since just November and cannot go to extreme....

I'm looking for a 10 days trip in a cooler climate for a change!

Any advice?

Thanks

slow
    What sort of advice?
    Which bike to bring - What trails to ride - What to pack - When to come - What route to take - Where to stay - What to wear - Where to eat - ???

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    What sort of advice?
    Which bike to bring - What trails to ride - What to pack - When to come - What route to take - Where to stay - What to wear - Where to eat - ???
    Which bike to bring or rental places
    what trails to ride
    when to come
    Where to stay (my self and my girlfriend)

I think it will do

thanks

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    What time of year, what is your fitness, how cute is your girlfriend?

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    In all seriousness, Winter Park is nice has a lot of variety, Breckenridge is good breck has more food options and both have plenty of bike shops. Either will have local guide books. Fruita is always good, just ride early and often! Highline state park is good if you want to camp. Maybe that helps a little. Give a shout when you get here!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    July/August
    Condition fairly good

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Can you ride Alafia, Oleta or Santos?

Do you even have a window of when you want to travel? That would help immensely.

You can ride on the Western Slope, eg. Fruita and Grand Junction much earlier than anything in the high country. If you're looking for an idyllic mountains, glacial lakes, aspens "Colorado Experience"; your window will be much smaller. I just noticed you posted up while I was typing so you've a good time to hit up the high stuff.

Your lungs will hurt. You will need rain gear; the rain isn't even close to that respite it is in Florida. It is cold here and if you're not prepared can even kill you. It will seem very very cold to you at night here. This place is different on so many levels from there.

After you've decided where in Colorado you would like to ride then consider rental shops. It may be more cost effective to ship/fly with your bike. The length of your stay makes a huge difference.

Would you be camping or staying in hotels?

It also may be cheaper for you and your lady to drive here if you can handle being in a car that long. Between flights and rental cars it could be the best option. If you've the time.

Oh and search this forum for exactly this question. It is asked quite often.