Thread: Beginner trails

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Beginner trails

A friend of mine has Hodgkins lymphoma and he's just getting over his first cycle of chemo. He's feeling pretty good though, and he wants to try mountain biking for the first time. I don't think he's going to have much (any?) stamina, but he's been on a bike before (used to commute to work on his bike). So, I'm thinking not too much sustained climbing, but some mild downhill tech would be good.

The only beginner trails I've been on locally have been Green mtn, Alderfer, and Elk Meadows. How's Evergreen been for riding conditions?

I've never been, but I've also heard that Centennial Cone and Lair o' the Bear are good novice trails. Opinions on these, and how do you get to the trailhead?

now in superlight!
    centennial cone isn't a bad choice, but if stamina is what you're worried about, I'd think twice. There is very little in technical stuff, but steady climbing throughout...and if the fire road is closed- it makes for a long out-n-back ( with the back being steeper climbs) If you can get up to south boulder, doudy draw- cowdry draw is a very nice trail (in my opinion) that should be less taxing on your buddy
    If you don't stop whining- I'll call the whaaaa-mbulance!

feel the Force
    Good luck to your friend from a fellow survivor of the disease! Taking him on a ride is a great diversion. The best thing you can do is keeping him active, and not dwelling on it all the time.
    As for the trails, anything up higher might not be dry enough yet. Green Mtn or Marshall Mesa are sure bets for what you want.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You may want to consider Bear Creek Lake Park in Lakewood (located on Morrison Rd. just east of C-470).
    The Park offers beginner trails that are non-technical and do not have much climbing.
    Bonus: some of the trails are scenic - paralleling the creek and following the banks of some of the ponds in the park boundary.

mtbr member

Trail Guide for Neophyte Mountain Bikers

The Rocky Mountain Bicycle Boys, a Denver-based mountain biking club, has a free pamphlet for newbie bikers that might be useful. It can be sent by e-mail in PDF format or sent by US mail. Requests for the pamphlet can be processed through the club web site at www.RMBB.org or by request to ginzndenver@aol.com.