Thread: beginner rides?

a dad
    Jan 2004

beginner rides?

gonna take my girly out for a ride.. suggestions for good beginner rides... non technical, somewhat flat... thinking maybe waterton or lair of the bear..but wondering if i am forgetting someplace...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Stiff yet compliant
    Centennial Cone. Smooth and non technical. It has climbing but the grades are moderate.

ridin dirtay
    I take the Wooooman up to Evergreen a alot. 3 sisters Aldefer up to Evergreen Mtn is moderate-ish (can all be done in middle ring, but not good for 1st ride, maybe like 3rd). Elk Meadows (Evergreen) is a sure fire winner for beginners; lots of folks I know have fallen in love with the sport on that trail. It gets sun, so should be dry.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    I wouldn't suggest LOB for a first ride. Centennial Cone is perfect cause not technical.

I think we often forget for beginner riders their minds are often overwhelmed with the comfort of their bike, speed etc. Being a girl rider myself and riding with other girls of all abilities that first ride is the bench mark for all the other rides out there.

Anyhoo, have fun and if she is ever looking for girls to ride with feel free to pm me. I have a great group of girls I ride with of all abilities
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

contains quinine
    The Marshall Mesa area is nice and easy, open all year.

Mud Lake up near Ned is a super easy ride as well.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    anyone know which days are good for biking centennial cone? i forgot..and which direction?
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Stand back
    Even is bike, odd is hiker at Cen Cone. The only thing that made my wife nervous there was the exposure on one section, but aside from that, she loved it.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Flying J Ranch in Conifer. My wife is starting to try out MBing. I took here there and she loved it. Mellow 3 mile loop easily done both ways/multiple times.

Waterton closer to Denver. Myers Ranch is fun after minor skills development.

"Oldfart from Wayback"

If you don't mind the drive, Ft. Collins

Lory State Park to Blue Sky to Coyote Ridge junction and back. Gentle rollers, nothing tech at all. Relatively uncrowded compared to the Denver/Boulder scene.

It's about the only single track I can get my wife to ride w/ me.

mtbr member
    Waterton and the first section of the Colorado Trail is pretty timid. Not as fun or as pretty as the Cone but a good beginner ride. You can work out the kinks over the first six miles of Waterton and be ready for the singletrack by the time you reach the dam.

skillz to pay billz
    switzerland trail is good as a downhill. park at the top on peak to peak and ride down, bus back to ned, park your girl at the coffee shop or bar and ride the 6 miles back to your car for a work out.

I can't ride 45!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboCO
    Flying J Ranch in Conifer. My wife is starting to try out MBing. I took here there and she loved it. Mellow 3 mile loop easily done both ways/multiple times.

Waterton closer to Denver. Myers Ranch is fun after minor skills development.
    +1 for Flying J for true newbies.

Your bike is incorrigible
    +2 for flying J. just went with my wife, and she loved it. it's just long enough to be interesting. there are two sections (drops into stream beds) that are somewhat technical, but they last about twenty feet each. the rest is super easy. and if that is too easy, or you get bored, go on down the road a few miles to meyer ranch.

I can't ride 45!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    +2 for flying J. just went with my wife, and she loved it. it's just long enough to be interesting. there are two sections (drops into stream beds) that are somewhat technical, but they last about twenty feet each. the rest is super easy. and if that is too easy, or you get bored, go on down the road a few miles to meyer ranch.
    Hmm, what is meyers ranch?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonb
    Hmm, what is meyers ranch?
    Meyers is just east of Conifer on 285. There is a little valley before you get to Conifer (you crest a hill, come down a grade and start to climb gradually just before town). It's sort of at the base of the valley. On a weekend you'll definitely see people parked there.

I can't ride 45!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    Meyers is just east of Conifer on 285. There is a little valley before you get to Conifer (you crest a hill, come down a grade and start to climb gradually just before town). It's sort of at the base of the valley. On a weekend you'll definitely see people parked there.
    OK I know the place. What are the trails like there?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonb
    OK I know the place. What are the trails like there?
    Easy stuff, just some climbs like every other trail in CO. Maybe slightly more climbing than Flying J, but it's still a true beginner trail. The good thing about Meyer and Flying J is that they are no more than a few miles from each other. After two laps at Flying J (hey, it's only like 3 miles), you can jet over to Meyer and get in another 4-5 miles.

beer is too easy to drink
    Sep 2007
    maybe check out bear creek lake park, or hayden park(green mtn.), or elk medows for beginner rides. If she is fit maybe green mtn cause there can be lots of climbing if you want. Most of the stuff at bear creek is really easy but you have to pay the state park fee to drive in.
    six pack cooler coming soon!