mtbr member

BEER recommendations.

Sans gluten. Not for me but my sister-in-law has had stomach issues for years and finally decided to get a test done and has been diagnosed with Celiac disease. No more happy hours at the bars for her. I know how you mtb'ers love your beers so please recommend some gluten-free. Mucho appreciated.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Mondo Vino in NW Denver has a pretty decent selection of Gluten Free beers.. i havent tried any of them but was surprised by their selection and might be worth checking out if she is close. Omission was the only name i remember because i thought it was clever..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My wife has diagnosed Celiac and she prefers New Grist, New Planet (Raspberry), Estrella Damm (good spanish beer) Green's Blonde Belgian and also she like to drink ciders, mainly the ones from England cause they are not too sweet.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    We also drink Yellow Tail wine. The wines that are aged in oak tends to have glue from the barrels that leaches gluten into the wine. If she enjoys wine, be aware of what it is aged in.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    I believe apple cider is gluten free as well. The gluten free "beers" I've tried all tasted kinda cidery. Sucks for your friend!

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    I believe apple cider is gluten free as well. The gluten free "beers" I've tried all tasted kinda cidery. Sucks for your friend!

_MK
    If she trys Estrella Damm, it is exacly like Modello. Same with New Planet or New Grist - Both of those are very good!

mtbr member
    Pfff... drink rum. RELEASE the Kraken!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Pfff... drink rum. RELEASE the Kraken!
    Dammit. I must spread rep around...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My son-in-law has an extreme sensitivity to gluten and has been gluten-free for over 10 years. The tastiest beer he's found is Omission and it's actually pretty good. Because of the method they use to brew it, the gov't. won't allow them to use the gluten-free label, but if he can stomach it, then any gluten intolerant person can. You can read about it on their web site. New Planet beers are okay but not as good as Omission. All the other gluten free products are crap, according to my SIL. Davidson's Liquors has a good selection of gf beers.

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by osue077 View Post
    We also drink Yellow Tail wine. The wines that are aged in oak tends to have glue from the barrels that leaches gluten into the wine. If she enjoys wine, be aware of what it is aged in.
    I used to buy barrels for my winery, never heard of such a thing. Barrels are press fit to make them tight. What most people have issues with in oak barrels are if they are american or french oak barrels. American oak has a higher sugar content so that when it is toasted creates more free sugars and more caramel flavors. One of the reasons Scotch distilleries use only american oak bourbon barrels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the all the replies. Keep the recommendations coming. I'll link this thread to her.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    I used to buy barrels for my winery, never heard of such a thing. Barrels are press fit to make them tight. What most people have issues with in oak barrels are if they are american or french oak barrels. American oak has a higher sugar content so that when it is toasted creates more free sugars and more caramel flavors. One of the reasons Scotch distilleries use only american oak bourbon barrels.
    You make a great point but have to add to this that all barrels are not created equally and that some barrel makers do use a wheat paste glue to ensure they seal when they are made. For some with celiac, foods that qualify for gluten free that are less than 20 ppm still cause problems. I know they do for both my wife and daughter. None the less, cheers!

Is wine gluten-free? » Dr Vino's wine blog Dr Vino's wine blog

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by osue077 View Post
    You make a great point but have to add to this that all barrels are not created equally and that some barrel makers do use a wheat paste glue to ensure they seal when they are made. For some with celiac, foods that qualify for gluten free that are less than 20 ppm still cause problems. I know they do for both my wife and daughter. None the less, cheers!

Is wine gluten-free? » Dr Vino's wine blog Dr Vino's wine blog

Wow. Cutting more and more corners everyday. If a 800.00 barrel showed up at my door with crap in the joints I'd be pissed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Indeed!
    The sad reality for celiacs is that even tho many things should be gluten free, they likely are not. I've found that Fruity Pebbles and Cheetos are labeled GF but are not. My daughter has had a severe reactions to both, but her sensitivity is likely to be more sensitive than other peoples.

mtbr member
    Never trust labels from popular junk brands. It's all marketing b.s. to get the uneducated consumer to buy garbage. I love when they put labels like "no trans-fat" and one of the first ingredients is hydrogenated soybean oil or "real fruit" on a bottle of 7up.

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno View Post
    Sans gluten. Not for me but my sister-in-law has had stomach issues for years and finally decided to get a test done and has been diagnosed with Celiac disease. No more happy hours at the bars for her. I know how you mtb'ers love your beers so please recommend some gluten-free. Mucho appreciated.
    My Wife did her thesis on this EXACT topic, so expect a lot more from the beer industry "sans gluten" in the near future. You may be surprised about what commonly available beers have very very small gluten content because of all the adjuncts (Ahemmm budweiser ahemmmm) so depending upon the severity of your sister-in-laws condition, some common beers may be tolerable.

Here are some that come to mind available in Colorado (if you look hard enough)

Greens is my favorite that I have tried hands down, common to find at high end liquor stores, I have no issues with gluten and would still buy this beer. They make a few styles that are all good.
    Green's Gluten free beers - UK producers of craft brewed award winning Belgian beers.

Dogfish Head: Tweason ale, which is very nice, but unfortunately difficult to find, as its a seasonal.
    Tweason'ale | Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales

Epic Brewing: Glutenator (funny name as it sounds like it has extra gluten)
    Epic Brewing Company | Salt Lake City, Utah - Glutenator

There is even a gluten free BREWERY in Boulder CO called New Planet Beer, I have not had their beer yet so I don't know how good it is, but worth a shot:
    Colorado's Gluten-Free Craft Brew | New Planet Beer

There is plenty of gluten free beer available but finding good ones is the tricky part. A lot of that goodness of beer is mixed up with that gluten compound; foam stability for example is usually greatly affected, thus the soda-pop like carbonation and Zero head.

Also keep in mind the ciders and spirits, though not beer, its still a change from wine. Distilled spirits are tricky as they were "created" with gluten, but the spirit was distilled out of it leaving the gluten behind, so they are technically gluten free.

You should really try this question in the beer forum on MTBR here:Beer Forum
    Those guys are great and will have more suggestions.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    here in canada the best one is Glutenberg https://glutenberg.ca/fr/ if you ever come to canada it's a must try