mtbr member
    Apr 2004

A beer and an Aston Martin

Ever since I saw James Bond toolin' around in his DB5 I thought, maybe I should get one. Of course, that will never happen but today I went to a small car show and got up close and personal with a new Aston Martin.

About the beer: Santa Fe Lucky Camper. In my top 5:

The car show had a bunch of custom and redone stock rides. My favorite, a '57 Chevy won first prize. As I strolled around the lot I came up on...is it what I think it is?...yes, a 2014 Aston Martin Rapide S. Never got to check one out in person. Most "super cars" I see in Denver just whiz by me and are gone in a flash.

Yes, not cheap.

Typical low dollar interior:

A car built with a personal touch:

Yup, V12. 550 hp.

It and a Jaguar and a Maserati were parked so close together I could only get a side shot as it was being driven away.

Even at 550hp this isn't a super fast car. The sales guy told me they have a Nissan GT-R at the dealership that, after driving it, everything else seems slow. When he fired this up to drive away I was surprised at how sedate the exhaust sounded. He explained other Aston Martins have much louder exhausts...like the other custom rides in the car show had as they all started up and were leaving. A glorious sound!

A review, if you're interested:

2014 Aston Martin Rapide S Test ? Review ? Car and Driver
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Nice. I had the opportunity to get up and close with a Bugatti. At $2.3 million, I'd buy an airplane first, but it's still very cool!

Inside:

And I got to sit in the thing, too.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    WTF is a "Smokers Kit"?

mtbr member
    tried the happy camper beer about 3 months ago: awful...but cool cars

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhead View Post
    Hey... you gotta REALLY like drinking pine needles to enjoy it. But if you do... it's tops.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    WTF is a "Smokers Kit"?
    $750 ash tray?

slow
    Found these parked in front of our hotel in London this summer.

A beer and an Aston Martin-img_20130602_033259_776.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    OK, I'll bite: your top five IPAs?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    OK, I'll bite: your top five IPAs?
    By no means am I an IPA connoisseur but that was awful...one of the worst beers i've had (the only reason why I replied is because I absolutely hated that beer).

But- if I would have to give you my favorites:
    1) Firestone Union Jack
    2) Myrcenary
    3) Marble
    4) Boulevard Double Wide
    5) Telluride Fishwater or 471

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    A beer and an Aston Martin-1-dsc_5973toncontphopop.jpgA beer and an Aston Martin-2-dsc_5975toncont.jpgA beer and an Aston Martin-3-dsc_5982toncont.jpgA beer and an Aston Martin-4-dsc_5998toncont.jpg
    By no means am I an IPA connoisseur but that was awful...one of the worst beers i've had (the only reason why I replied is because I absolutely hated that beer).

But- if I would have to give you my favorites:
    1) Firestone Union Jack
    2) Myrcenary
    3) Marble
    4) Boulevard Double Wide
    5) Telluride Fishwater or 471
    Well, no accounting for taste. One guy's "greatest beer ever" is another guy's "and I poured it out immediately". I tried a Victory
    HopDevil a few days ago and didn't really hate it, just I'd never buy it again.

My Top Five is predicated on price and yumminess.

1) Wookey Jack (Black IPA)
    2) Uintah Hop Notch
    3) Sierra Nevada Torpedo (always available, always on sale, always in my fridge)
    4) Marble IPA
    5) yes, Happy Camper

There was a high dollar Jaguar parked next to that Aston Martin and a Maserati Pininfarina Gran Turismo parked next to the Jag. By the time I got done shooting the AM inside and out, it was time for everyone to go. I just got to the Maserati when the driver was getting in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Aston Martins are a dime a dozen in Boulder. I see one almost every day. The are tons of cool cars there, which is what happens when you are the start-up capitol of the US combined with thousands of trust funders combined with a bunch of affluent retirees. I randomly see Lambos, Ferraris, GT3's, Astons, every manner of MB, BMW, Teslas everywhere. Almost every garage in Boulder seems to have a car under a car cover that only comes out once in awhile.

A McLaren passed me going up the hill on 93 south of Boulder one day. The kid driving it looked to be in his mid-20's.

A Bugatti passed me going down I-70 toward Morrison once. I was told it was Ralph Lauren's. It was his new one, not the 1938 one worth $40 Million:

Ralph Lauren's Bugatti shows fascination with cars definitely is not dying

Go to the shopping center on the SW corner of 95th and Arapahoe in Lafayette on the first Saturday morning of the month to see "Cars and Coffee", then later that afternoon go down to South Golden Road and see the Golden cruise. You'll see more cool cars in one day than you can in any museum or car show.

mtbr member
    Beautiful cars, where was this show?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    My mom's best friend, owns a 2009 Aston DB9. She let me deliver it to her third home, in Aspen. Funnest 665 miles of driving in my life. I was following a slow, seven-car caravan up Glenwood Springs, when a wild hair sprouted on me. When I saw a clear stretch of straightaway - I gunned it past all SEVEN vehicles and overtook the leading Big-rig, at 100mph.....whoo-ya!!!!

She also has a 2013 Audi R8 that's NEXT on my Bucket List...
    Last edited by Zachariah; 08-20-2013 at 06:02 AM.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Front Range, Colorado
    Having come here from San Diego "ALL" supercars are like Toyotas there is so many of them. I used to get up into Laguna Beach, Newport Beach & Costa Mesa and they are even more common.. My X-girlfriends son worked at an exclusive dealership in Rancho Santa Fe and,all they sold were super cars and high end luxury cars. I got to drive a V-8 Mazzerati Spyder with 550 H.P. and paddle shifters. The car was the size of a Pontiac Fiero and shaped very similar. We were spinning cookies and power sliding all over the place.

I also drove a Corvette ZR-1, Ferrarri Testerosa, BMW M3 older station wagon with 300 H.P. in a midget size car. Aston Martins are very common out there. Ihave never driven one but they are awesome. The GT-R's are getting pretty popular as is the Audi super car. My favorite out of all super cars is the Ford GT a mid engine V-8 american muscle car / super car.

I was lucky enough to sit in a Saleen 7 Super car. It was so cramped my feet were touching eachother on the pedals. An insane awesome ride. Full carbonfiber body 600 H.P. and only made for a couple of years. Not to be cronfused with the Saleen mustangs. This was a supercar that Saleen built. And I have also seen three Bugattis running around. Like I said all of them are a common sight but I'm a car guy at heart and I never got sick of seeing something special. Most people out there don't even do a second glance. If I have time I would follow in hopes of checking them out closer.

There was a Lamborghini dealership I used to
    drive by in Costa Mesa. They had 25 Gallardos
    lined up side by side right next to the street. What
    was cool is every color was represented. Lime geen,orange,yellow,red, black,white,silver,gun metel grey it was amazing. And so strange the dealership was so old that the rich area was a couple miles away. And where the dealership now
    sat the surrounding area was borderline slum. A
    multi million dollar inventory surrounded by an
    area like Colfax in Denver. Sorry for rambling xc
    guy always get's me with his good threads. Crappy cell phone post.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    OK, OK, due to popular demand, here's the winner of that car show. My favorite, a Sky Blue 1957 Chevy Belair. Relive with me now the days of chrome on chrome. It's amazing the detail car makers put into their product back then. To wit:

A beer and an Aston Martin-1-dsc_5892.jpgA beer and an Aston Martin-2-dsc_5894.jpgA beer and an Aston Martin-3-dsc_5895.jpgA beer and an Aston Martin-4-dsc_5900.jpgA beer and an Aston Martin-5-dsc_5902.jpgA beer and an Aston Martin-6-dsc_5903.jpgA beer and an Aston Martin-7-dsc_5909.jpgA beer and an Aston Martin-8-dsc_5992.jpgA beer and an Aston Martin-9-dsc_5996.jpg

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Where's the danged "like " button ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I used to drive a DB9. You're right, the car it's not as fast as a number of other supercars, but it's still a fun car. The car I could closest relate it to was my SL55AMG, with the DB9 feeling a bit lighter. The one thing I could never get over was the Ford trimmings. The key fob, door handles, etc. all reminded me that it was built by Ford.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CEO Alex View Post
    I used to drive a DB9. You're right, the car it's not as fast as a number of other supercars, but it's still a fun car. The car I could closest relate it to was my SL55AMG, with the DB9 feeling a bit lighter. The one thing I could never get over was the Ford trimmings. The key fob, door handles, etc. all reminded me that it was built by Ford.
    There's a 2013 DB9, no trace of Ford left!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    That thing is beautiful!

Chevy was way ahead of its time in 1957. They had LED headlights long before anyone else, apparently.

But seriously, talk about falling off a cliff: '55, '56, '57...and then the '58? And then the '59-61? They didn't recover until '62, and even then it can be argued that the full size Chevy never recovered.

My dad had a '56 station wagon for our fishing car, unfortunately it was the four-door, not a Nomad. Straight six, three on the tree, manual steering. He bought it for $50, and sold it for $50 a few years later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    That thing is beautiful!

Chevy was way ahead of its time in 1957. They had LED headlights long before anyone else, apparently.

But seriously, talk about falling off a cliff: '55, '56, '57...and then the '58? And then the '59-61? They didn't recover until '62, and even then it can be argued that the full size Chevy never recovered.

My dad had a '56 station wagon for our fishing car, unfortunately it was the four-door, not a Nomad. Straight six, three on the tree, manual steering. He bought it for $50, and sold it for $50 a few years later.
    When the owner of that '57 fired it up and turned on the LEDs I looked at him and he gave me his best sh!t eatin' grin.
    There was a cherry '55 there and a '59 totally stock Impala as well. The '57 just stood out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thought you might like to see this '57 in higher rez: