mtbr member
    Apr 2007

BEAR at Palmer Wednesday night!

Well what a wonderful way to end a day...blow out your front tire and walk up on a bear while pushing your crippled bike back to the truck.

I will never forget tonight, I was almost to the washout and rock face drop-in on the N Side of Palmer when my front tire blew. I was pushing my crippled bike back with about 10 min of sunlight when I came up on a black bear. TALK ABOUT CRAPN' YOUR PANTS!

This was my first encounter and fortunately I was able to back away and get over to the paved road to get my bike back.

WHAT FUN...WON'T FORGET TONIGHT!!!

I licked a frog.
    bears r gay.

mtbr member
    next post in this forum will be a tiger encounter. oh my!

I think I can.

Close but not exact

That was no bear, it was somebodys dog and they were playing a trick on you.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Your retarded
    A bear in Palmer? That doesn't seem likely, unless it has magic powers to turn it invis-in-ible.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

skillz to pay billz
    and the number one threat down is...

BEARS!!!

- stephen colbert

/
    wtf: http://colbear-nation.com/index.html

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    Not only is it posible, I wouldn't be surprised. I lived next to Palmer for a little over a year and in that time we had 2 black bears in our backyard. The second bear managed to get the food out of the bear trap/cage that DOW dropped off. Obviously he had some encounters with people before because he had been collared.
    The more I drink, the smarter you get.

Biker Beau

Still waiting....

For some adventurous soul to post high-res pic's of a recent ***COUGAR*** encounter

nice marmot.
    black bears are like oversized racoons. unless you are in between a mother and her young, the bear is going to be WAY more afraid of you and won't cause you any harm... unless pooping in your spandex counts as harm.
    Q. how many kids with A.D.D. does it take to change a light bulb?
    A. i don't know, ya wanna go ride bikes?

I licked a frog.

bears are big hairy gay men

Quote Originally Posted by upmtnsinbreck
    black bears are like oversized racoons.
    that analogy is right on the money. we get them all the time at our house rooting through the garbage or on our porch drinking out of the humming bird feeders. I've shooed away bears over 400 pounds and no matter what their size, their reaction is always the same - they casually lumber away as if I'm some harmless inconvenience.

that's not to say that I am unafraid of bears. when riding at night it makes me nervous that I might fly around a corner and surprise one. man, that'd suck.

funny video & image of a bear visit when it was still a novelty and before it became a real pain in the butt and I started yelling and pelting them with potatoes instead of taking pictures & video:

bear visit June 2005
    (I apologize for the commentary. you should probably watch this without sound.)

earlier that night...

..ouch
    You do know there's no quicker way to piss a bear off enough to trounce you than to shoot it with a handgun right? Unless you manage to get an eyesocket, a .45 will simply deflect right off the average adult bear's skull and put it in a foul mood.. anywhere else you shoot it may end up doing enough damage to kill it from internal injuries or infection, but you'll be a pile of bear pellets by then. You're better off with a shotgun and rubber bullets.. you want to annoy it enough to leave, not wound it enough to make it mad.
    Last edited by thump; 10-18-2007 at 07:13 PM.

I licked a frog.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    You do know there's no quicker way to piss a bear off enough to trounce you than to shoot it with a handgun right? Unless you manage to get an eyesocket, a .45 will simply deflect right off most adult bear's skull and put it in a foul mood.
    I've never seen that notion put to the test, nor would I ever want to. I can easily see how most ammunition would ricochet off of a grizzly's skull but the black bears around here top out at around 500 pounds. 6 to 9 rounds of hollowpoint .45 would seriously cripple (more likely instantly kill) virtually anything in this area.

I hate sounding like I'm some gun fanatic - I'm not. I just try to err on the side of caution. I carry a .45 with a laser sight when I ride at night so if I ever had to fire that thing... well, I can consistantly hit a tennis ball from 20 yards while firing that gun from my side (before anyone else says it) like Wyatt Earp.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by LyleCrumbstorm
    I've never seen that notion put to the test, nor would I ever want to. I can easily see how most ammunition would ricochet off of a grizzly's skull but the black bears around here top out at around 500 pounds. 6 to 9 rounds of hollowpoint .45 would seriously cripple (more likely instantly kill) virtually anything in this area.
    I'll probably have to concede that. Most the good stories I get are from my little brother that spends a month survival camping in different parts of Alaska each year and says the rangers often laugh when counting the number of bullet potmarks on the skulls of bears that eventually die of natural causes.. That being said, one of the bears I had on my property this summer must of weighed 600+ and I wouldn't have wanted to test this.. on all fours this bastard's head was nearly level with my shoulders. When I got home my wife was on the phone with animal control and they were telling her to "walk up and nail it in the face with some bear spray".. Umm, yeah, we'll pass.

Btw.. I sympathize about the hummingbird feeders.. I finally got sick of having to take them in each night and just took em down for good.

I licked a frog.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    Btw.. I sympathize about the hummingbird feeders.. I finally got sick of having to take them in each night and just took em down for good.
    we did too.