Bear Creek MTB Trail Volunteers Needed - No date set.
Just sending out a heads up to anyone interested in helping to take care of the MTB trail at Bear Creek Park. I have a short laundry list of maintenance jobs that need to be taken care of late summer/fall and would like to set a date that works for everyone interested.
Maybe late august?
1. Plant 6 trailhead signs.
2. Cut some scrub/brush back.
3. Cut some backslopes on a couple of corners.
4. Build some doubletrack passing sections on the lower section of Rattler Loop.
5. Build a small retaining wall/berm on lower Rattler Loop.
6. Build drops on Rattler Loop.
7. Remove cactus entire length.
8. Work on 2 sections where people have created short cuts.
Map is attached.
If interested PM me and give me some dates that work for you and I'll get back with you.
Last edited by UncleTrail; 06-09-2011 at 02:09 PM.
TwobyTandem has volunteered to help get our CX course ready and is currently working on Thursdays - 8am - 4pm. I'm sure he would appreciate a little help if anyone is interested.
When this is done we'll start on the MTB course.
Only 2 other volunteers so far...
CX Course Work
Yes...the course is coming along well. Thursdays from 8am till ~4pm we'll be hard at it, cutting in the CX course around Bear Creek and the Penrose Equestrian Center.
Work at this point consists of:
- Removal of cactus on the course proper
- Removal of sharp/large rocks on the course proper
- Cutting down tall grass/thistles where needed (weed-wacker included!)
The work is time-consuming but not too difficult. No major trail features need to be built, just using the natural topography to it's utmost potential.
Thanks to UncleTrail & Medicine Wheel for putting this gig together. Along with the Mtb course @Bear Creek, we've been given two very nice venue's to watch local racing from this season.
And...two thumbs up for the local volunteers that have made it all possible
you realize most people are working on thursdays from 8 - 4...
Yes, the Thursday daytime schedule will limit how many folks will be able to support the CX course work but it was the best day to get the full 8hrs scheduled.
For those that might be interested in volunteering but just can't make the Thurs work, please contact UncleTrail and Twobytandem and we'll get something set up on a better evening/weekend date.