Trips for Kids Denver

Bear Creek Lake Park...

is looking good for the most part. I rode there with my wife today. The Cottonwood trail in the interior has been closed to horse traffic which I think is pretty cool because it used to get super sandy not that I want to see anyone restricted.. I saw 4 coyotes and a HUGE bald eagle sittin' in a tree. The coyotes were running around & not in the tree with the eagle!

hmmmm, Thursday's weather looks a little rough plus I have to actually work! PBR, any chance of T.I.T.S. being on Wednesday?

Thanks

Trips for Kids Denver
    Oh yeah, the Cottonwood trail has seen 2 small bridges added to the West end after the beaver/s flooded out this section. I think it's still going to be a swamp when the runoff begins.
    Last edited by twowheelfunman; 02-22-2009 at 08:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Hey man, where exactly did you see the bald eagle? I'm a photographer, and live like 2 mins from there.

hehe ...you said "member"
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    Hey man, where exactly did you see the bald eagle? I'm a photographer, and live like 2 mins from there.
    No kidding. I had no idea there were bald eagles there.
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

Trips for Kids Denver
    It might be migrating but I think it moved in because there is a rather large nest along the cottonwood trail just South of Bear Creek. I saw the eagle just South of Turkey Creek between the bike path and singletrack due East of the campground.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I also live VERY close to Bear Creek Lake Park. I started seeing the bald eagle 2-3 weeks ago in various places in the park. In the ten years I lived in Lakewood, this is the first time I have seen a bald eagle.
    There is also a large falcon that can usually be seen in the Fox Hollow Golf Course area.

Pivot Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 3sigma
    I also live VERY close to Bear Creek Lake Park. I started seeing the bald eagle 2-3 weeks ago in various places in the park. In the ten years I lived in Lakewood, this is the first time I have seen a bald eagle.
    There is also a large falcon that can usually be seen in the Fox Hollow Golf Course area.
    hmmm...I've seen the falcon altho I have to admit I thought it was a hawk since falcons don't usually get that big (or so I thought). Haven't seen the Baldie yet. Next time I go that way, I'll have my camera ready!
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

Trips for Kids Denver
    About 6 weeks ago I was riding my road bike along the platte on the North end. I was near 104th when I spotted either a golden eagle or a juvenile bald eagle. Barr lake has a sanctuary for birds & there is a nesting pair of bald eagles living there too.

I used to live near 112th & Huron and rode in the big dry creek open space quite a bit. I saw 9 bald eagles in a single ride back in 2000 I think. There is a sanctuary at Standley Lake I think & some eagles moved out of there or were migrating & I happened to ride right in the middle of them that day. Too cool! I'll never forget it. Anyway, one eagle was on the ground eating a prairie dog end a coyote ran out of the bushes to steal it but the eagle was able to take off with the meal up into the trees!!! Nice!!!

mtbr member
    Sweet, I'm going to head out this morning and see what I see. Back in december we saw 11 eagles at Barr Lake.

Trips for Kids Denver
    let us know what you find
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    I didn't see the nest, but this pair was just hanging out. There was a juvenile flying around as well, but I never saw were he landed.

Pivot Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    I didn't see the nest, but this pair was just hanging out. There was a juvenile flying around as well, but I never saw were he landed.

VERY cool!
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

mtbr member
    Grats Tony. Must be nice to go out and find exactly what it is you were looking for. Cool photo.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Actually, it was almost too easy. I came up over the first hill, and they were right there, and they never budged, which is really rare for eagles. They're usually pretty skidish. I'll head back out there a little earlier tomorrow and see if I can catch them during the morning hunt.

Trips for Kids Denver
    Yeah, I rode almost directly under one of them, stopped to stare & moved on. It was watching me but stayed put.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

hehe ...you said "member"
    Cool picture hitek79, keep us posted. what's a good time to look for them? Early? My kids would love that ... my son is currently studying birds of prey in school.
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

mtbr member
    I got out there about 10am yesterday. It's 7:20am now, and I'm going to head out there to see if they're a bit more active. I have to say that this is almost the perfect place for eagle watching. Most of the time they're at a much much larger body of water, so if they cross the lake, you can no longer see them. At Bear Creek the lake is small enough you can see them from pretty much anywhere. In general they'll be most active during the morning and evenings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    There is also a pair of bald eagles that hang out on the Big Dry Creek trail, usually see them togetter sitting in a dead cottonwood just north of Front Range Community College.