Thread: BC Gravity

Yappy little dog!

BC Gravity

I had the chance to spend the day flagging out some new trail in Buffalo Creek with some good folk from FRMBP, IMBA. CoMBA, and rocky good stuff lovers. You may have seen mention of this particular area before, but to actually see the layout is a whole different perspective. In two weeks, this adventure begins. But for now, you'll just need to experience it from what I saw.

For me, it's about taking the chance to look around.

For the gravity type, I think it will be a completely different focus .

skillz to pay billz
    two thumbs up!

mtbr member
    sweeeeet!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Where does the shuttle drop you off and pick you up?

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    Where does the shuttle drop you off and pick you up?

Cape Canaveral

Thread Terrorist
    Shuttle? Bwaaa haa haa haaa..... Me thinks you'll need to ride to this spot.

eci
    Albeit i am elated that this trail is in the works and i cant wait to take a spin on it, but I would hope that going forward COMBA will look more deeply into its base and draw from it for future DH/FR Projects.

Your retarded
    Hey those lines look familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    Albeit i am elated that this trail is in the works and i cant wait to take a spin on it, but I would hope that going forward COMBA will look more deeply into its base and draw from it for future DH/FR Projects.
    If you are referring to the lack of a shuttle option, I hear ya, Todd. Yes, the absence of that option might turn off a lot of folks. But look at what it is, rather than what it's not. This is the first legal trail in Colorado that will be built for advanced technical riders, at least that I am aware of. That's a pretty big deal. And I suspect that if it's successful, it won't be the last. I see it as more of a proof of concept and hope that it will take shape, get recognition from other land managers, become more refined with later iterations, and become the adopted standard for land managers when laying out or building upon trail systems.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    What does this even mean? Look to its base? There have been plenty of opportunities to volunteer and participate in this project.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle

If you are referring to the lack of a shuttle option, I hear ya, Todd. Yes, the absence of that option might turn off a lot of folks. But look at what it is, rather than what it's not. This is the first legal trail in Colorado that will be built for advanced technical riders, at least that I am aware of. That's a pretty big deal. And I suspect that if it's successful, it won't be the last. I see it as more of a proof of concept and hope that it will take shape, get recognition from other land managers, become more refined with later iterations, and become the adopted standard for land managers when laying out or building upon trail systems.
    Well put, Nickle. Shuttable FR/DH trails do not appear overnight. And they are certainly not going to appear on JeffCo Open Space land anytime soon. There are these projects in CoMBA's cross hairs, but they take time, effort and man power.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    Well put, Nickle. Shuttable FR/DH trails do not appear overnight. And they are certainly not going to appear on JeffCo Open Space land anytime soon. There are these projects in CoMBA's cross hairs, but they take time, effort and man power.
    Exactly. And I suspect that this is iteration one of many. Each iteration will become more refined and better as more people get involved and support builds. It's like going swimming in a mountain lake; you can get in up to your knees with almost no problem (building illegal trails). But when it gets deep enough to dip your goods in (getting sanctioned FR/DH trails), it isn't so easy and requires that extra bit of will power. However, once you get the goods in, going all in gets a little less difficult (getting land managers and riders to buy into what others are doing legally).
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

There are some others. Some of the little spurs down the arroyos at Pueblo come to minds as well as the lunch loops stuff. All that's officially sanctioned. I think the big thing on whether this type of trail gains acceptance from land managers depends on a few things.
    1. Demand, while I know "super tech" gets lots of traction on MTBR, is it really the kind of riding experience that the enough MTBrs want to justify the expenditure of resource it takes to build and maintain them? (I'm not saying it is or isn't but it's a question that a land manager should want answered) 2. Maintenance; will the users take good care of it? I know many managers look at some trail systems where there are tire tracks off trail all over the place and question why MTBrs should get more trails. Will the users of these types of trails be any more or less likely to go off trail and will there be a volunteer work force skilled at taking care of this type of trail available to take care of it? (Once again, I'm not trying to insinuate anything one way or another, just looking at it from the land managers point of view). Risk; While government agencies have limited exposure to liability, if prople are getting hauled out of an area on a regular basis, it might give them pause when considering making more of that type of experience available.

I think this kind of stuff has to start small and establish some sort of track record that government agencies can point to. Land managers are by nature cautious (and IMO they should be) but if a positive track record is established they'll beopen to more of it down the road.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The main problem for the Front Range and CoMBA is the largest land manager--JeffCo--has said that there is no way they would ever allow a DH/FR trail on their land. Thus, until there is a change in the leadership (not that the current leadership is not delivering for mountain bikers--just the DH/FR subset), we have to focus attention on FS land.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Finally!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    And I will add this: the combination of the FR trail and the new trail Trailblazers is putting in goes to show you that there are land managers (Scott Dulles in this case) that really do care about mountain bike groups as a user group.

eci
    The lack of shuttle definetly comes to mind. but also the fact that no one that i know or race with was involved with this. Many many many of the people i ride with regularly are involved in COMBA and not one of us knew about this...

To nick and crew please dont take this the wrong way. its very easy to criticize from the desk chair. i am just pointing out that there was some lack of communication to the people that ride this same terrain day in and day out and a few of us(def not me) make some money out of it.

With that being said and i will get off my stool i am very glad this is happening and i cant wait to go up and ride it.

In Regards to building i have said this before and i will say it again. find me a dh/fr trail to build and i will have a truck load of people there to help. A few of you have seen this first hand and i hope you admire my faith for the sport.

Your retarded
    The lack of shuttle definetly comes to mind. but also the fact that no one that i know or race with was involved with this. Many many many of the people i ride with regularly are involved in COMBA and not one of us knew about this...

To nick and crew please dont take this the wrong way. its very easy to criticize from the desk chair. i am just pointing out that there was some lack of communication to the people that ride this same terrain day in and day out and a few of us(def not me) make some money out of it.
    No offense taken. I see where you are coming from. I can't speak for COMBA or any of the other folks involved in this, but think about how many DH racers and recreational DH/FR riders there are on the front range. I bet if you asked all of them, they'd each pick a different line down the hill for a trail. Knowing this as a trail advocacy group, which ones do you ask for trail advice knowing that they would all draw a different line on the hill? Plus, you don't even know if this DH/FR trail is actually going to make it past the approval phases, so how do you ask them for their input discretely without getting hopes up or the word out to the community prematurely? When I consider those points, I can understand why this was kept under wraps and why a greater number of riders were not asked for input.

In Regards to building i have said this before and i will say it again. find me a dh/fr trail to build and i will have a truck load of people there to help. A few of you have seen this first hand and i hope you admire my faith for the sport.
    I'll vouch for this. That statement's as true as they come.

Yappy little dog!
    No offense taken. I see where you are coming from. I can't speak for COMBA or any of the other folks involved in this, but think about how many DH racers and recreational DH/FR riders there are on the front range. I bet if you asked all of them, they'd each pick a different line down the hill for a trail. Knowing this as a trail advocacy group, which ones do you ask for trail advice knowing that they would all draw a different line on the hill? Plus, you don't even know if this DH/FR trail is actually going to make it past the approval phases, so how do you ask them for their input discretely without getting hopes up or the word out to the community prematurely? When I consider those points, I can understand why this was kept under wraps and why a greater number of riders were not asked for input.

I'll vouch for this. That statement's as true as they come.

Good words, Nick!

I will add this much...

I am not a DH/FR person. However, I get an adrenaline rush watching people to do that sh$t. That's why I'll be helping with the build, it's damn cool! I have been involved with scoping this out for a while. Usually, I have a big enough mouth that it would have been out in the open well over a year ago. Again, what Nickle says is true. You have to take it a little slower. Some of the stuff planned on this trail is drop dead take your breath away. Sure, that's coming from a lurker but it's the kind of thing that would give a non-rider pause for approval. This is a fantastic step forward in trail design for this area. I would even say that it is unique for Colorado, in that the entire length of the trail (4.5 miles) will be stunt after f'ing nasty stunt. It will also be one of the most well designed trails of it's type from a sustainability perspective. You don't want to have to cart tools back into some of this remote area in BC again. This is not the CT we are designing.

As for shuttle, there really isn't that much climbing to get to the start. If you know the easy way to Charlies, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Then it's all DH after the run on Sandywash. So you could essentially (though it's a bit of a drive) shuttle between Bailey and Buffalo Creek. If you didn't mind a little climb on a heavy bike, you could go up Strawberry Jack.

No, it's not lift served. I think Rotele is correct in that you will never see that in JeffCo, but it is a gigantic start to expanding this type of terrain along the Front Range. Most importantly, it is sanctioned and approved!

I may not have been the biggest supporter of COMBA in the past, but I do have to say that JasonB has been putting a lot of effort into this project. I am glad to be a part of it it, however small (insert short joke here) that may be.

I hope to see you all out on one of the future trail building days. I have to mis the first due to Disney type family obligations (not my choice).

mtbr member

We the people ...

fwiw, this was "leaked" last december in my NEW VISION. NEW MEMBERS. NEW TRAILS. manifesto (), and a couple of times since then (Annual Meeting comes to mind)...

however, jasonb is the designated project lead and he (wisely) decided to keep this low-key until we were ready for boots-on-the-ground. there is a fine line between pre-publicizing a project in order to build buzz & get volunteers vs. protecting the integrity of the project w/o jeopardizing it... we learned our lesson w/ Area 28.

(also, just to clarify the use of the word gravity, this is not a "downhill" trail; see jason's post to the COMBA blog for more info).

more details re: upcoming build days to come...
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Will there be an ambulance on site?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork
    Will there be an ambulance on site?
    Too funny. Just what I was thinking

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboCO
    Too funny. Just what I was thinking
    That's what the mountain lions are for.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    That's what the mountain lions are for.
    Yeah, but there will be little scraps left over. Who's going to clean those up? Buzzards take time you know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Buzzards at BC are too fat to work properly on a daily basis. This will be a great trail. Kudos to jasonb, schnauzers, and all the others making it happen.

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    This is going to be awesome. I'm signed up for trailwork and ready to go!