crashes in parkinglot

BC and Centenial Cone 411?

I was looking to hit one or both of these regions this weekend. I'm guessing that BC handles whatever water it gets pretty well, and for the most part should be good to go.

Having never been to the Cone, I was wondering how the trail will handle water and if it would be a good idea to ride this Sunday (as that is an even day and open to bikers). Also, is there a preffered direction to ride the the loop, taking my SO, who is more comfortable descending tech and steep than climbing tech and steep.
    Down is the new up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Cannot ride the loop until June (assuming its even rideable). My guess is BC is fine.

crashes in parkinglot
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    Cannot ride the loop until June (assuming its even rideable). My guess is BC is fine.
    Thanks good info.
    June 15 according to this:
    http://co.jefferson.co.us/openspace/...ce_T56_R95.htm
    Down is the new up.

Tribe Member

I dont think BC will be any better at this point

Here is the pic from Pinecam.com
    Looks like they are to be getting a bit more snow and cold temps

http://www.pinecam.com/index.php?showWebcam=12
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich
    Here is the pic from Pinecam.com
    Looks like they are to be getting a bit more snow and cold temps

http://www.pinecam.com/index.php?showWebcam=12
    Pinecam shows the Conifer high school, which last I checked was not Buffalo Creek. They don't seem to get as much snow up in BC as they do in Conifer.

I'll wait for a first hand report.

Tribe Member
    I just put up the Pinecam so you can look at other places around the area via the drop down menu. From the forecast, they are still calling for more snow. Since alot of the trails are in the trees and north facing, snow will be likely still there over the weekend.

This Afternoon: Scattered rain and snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Cloudy, with a high near 55. South southeast wind between 9 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Tonight: Rain and snow likely, mainly before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 35East southeast wind at 10 mph becoming west southwest. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

Saturday: A chance of rain and snow showers before noon, then a chance of rain showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 56. North northwest wind between 3 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Saturday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms before midnight, then a slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38. West northwest wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Sunday: Isolated showers and thunderstorms after noon. Partly cloudy, with a high near 63North northwest wind between 9 and 11 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 10%.

I too am waiting for a first hand report since I want to ride up there Sunday during the day.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Are we talking about the same Buffalo Creek?

Quote Originally Posted by yetirich
    I just put up the Pinecam so you can look at other places around the area via the drop down menu. From the forecast, they are still calling for more snow. Since alot of the trails are in the trees and north facing, snow will be likely still there over the weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed
    Thanks good info.
    June 15 according to this:
    http://co.jefferson.co.us/openspace/...ce_T56_R95.htm
    I haven't ridden Centennial Cone during the closure, but it's my understanding that the closure only affects the Elk Range Trail. The Elk Range Trail is nice because it lets you ride Centennial Cone as a loop, but I think that you can still ride the Travois Trail as an out-and-back. The Travois Trail is more fun anyway in my opinion. The park map leaves it somewhat ambiguous if the Travois Trail passes though the seasonal closure area: (http://co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco/ope...olor_12_06.pdf)

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    yep i would just stay away from bc till late June- except to come up for the build day next weekend!
    Clicky here to join in the fun!

Keep in mind centennial cone is also alternating day usage as well. Check jefco site for days.

Still fun to do an out and back both ways from mayhem. imho
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Rigid in Evergreen
    Mountain Biking Season does not begin until July

mtbr member

Cent Cone should be good

Last time I was at Cent Cone - it rained overnight hard. The trails were perfect the next morning. The trail surface has a bit of gravel in it, so it doesn't get muddy. I like starting at Mayhem Gulch (so you have a fun downhill to the car at the end of your ride) and taking a rights to Travois Trail. Once you take a right on Travois Trail - just go as far as you want....knowing you'll be doing an out-n-back. To do about a 10 mile round trip - take Travois Trail until you get to an obvious saddle/high point where the trail goes from the south side of the hill and crosses down to the north side - turn around here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Buff Ck is wet...

Just got back from some recon work with the USFS in Buff Ck. It was pouring and there were small rivers running down the middle of Charlies and Homestead. Rain was turning to snow on our drive out. I would give at least a day without rain to dry but if you must ride tomorrow, do it as late as possible in the day. That's assuming it doesn't rain during the day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the update, Casey. I'll likely wait it out until Sunday.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    Thanks for the update, Casey. I'll likely wait it out until Sunday.
    Hmmm...

Me too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Hmmm...

Me too.

Although its only calling for 40% rain tomorrow. We got a new couch, which is being delivered between 1130 and 130.

Tempted to head out there and ride nice, tacky BC dirt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think CC is still sweet as an out and back, all the way to the closure and then back. In terms of OP's question referencing steep & techy, these two things don't really exist at CC. There are a few stingers, but no tech at all (save the handful of stairs).