Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Old School
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    24

    Battle The Bear - PreRide and Race Strategy

    Made my way up to Morrison on Wed afternoon to pre-ride the course for the race on sat. Since this will be my first race, I thought it a good idea to check it out before hand. Looks like there is no class slower than beginner, so I'll be racing in the 40 something beginner class. [Maybe they should have a smoker's class.. I could likely hang with that crowd.]

    The majority of the course is single track that is no more than 12" wide... just a thin stripe with unrideable brush and rocks and things on both sides. The course is smooth and fast... Max speed was 31 at some point on the course. Not sure where that was because I couldn't take my eye off the stripe long enough to peek at the computer. There are a couple of double track sections where the train that stacks up behind me will be able to get past. :-) The first hill isnt too bad.. a steady grind. The second hill is another story. increasingly steep to where the top is gear#1 bordering between spinning out or wheelieing over...mmm ya gotta love the pain. There is a 3rd hill is on the road back to the start line..just enough to suck some of the fire out of your legs. Well, my legs anyways.

    So given that, here's my big race strategy.. Fly off the start line like an a** raped rabbit and be first onto the single track. Since nobody can pass, pop a beer and ride no hands to just before where the double track starts. At this point the a*** raped rabbit kicks in again to fly to the next single track section. Now on the 2 track, I suspect some fool will likely try to pass. That's where the old tire pump in the spokes trick will have to kick in... the resulting pile up should hold the pack long enough to get back on the single track. After that, there is a good chance that there will be some riders that will be wanting to chase me down to kill me. Have you ever run from someone that's trying to kill you ? That alone should push me to a podium finish...

    [Ok, my strategy will really be to start in the back off off the line and pick off at least one person during the race so I don't finish DFL] For a noob, I suspect that will be a suitable goal.

    See ya there!
    [on the line at 8 freakin am... what's up with that?]
    Don
    Last edited by MyPC8MyBrain; 05-20-2005 at 09:52 AM.

  2. #2
    Beer
    Reputation: Endo King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by MyPC8MyBrain
    Made my way up to Morrison on Wed afternoon to pre-ride the course for the race on sat. Since this will be my first race, I thought it a good idea to check it out before hand. Looks like there is no class slower than beginner, so I'll be racing in the 40 something beginner class. [Maybe they should have a smoker's class.. I could likely hang with that crowd.]

    The majority of the course is single track that is no more than 12" wide... just a thin stripe with unrideable brush and rocks and things on both sides. The course is smooth and fast... Max speed was 31 at some point on the course. Not sure where that was because I couldn't take my eye off the stripe long enough to peek at the computer. There are a couple of double track sections where the train that stacks up behind me will be able to get past. :-) The first hill isnt too bad.. a steady grind. The second hill is another story. increasingly steep to where the top is gear#1 bordering between spinning out or wheelieing over...mmm ya gotta love the pain. There is a 3rd hill is on the road back to the start line..just enough to suck some of the fire out of your legs. Well, my legs anyways.

    So given that, here's my big race strategy.. Fly off the start line like an a** raped rabbit and be first onto the single track. Since nobody can pass, pop a beer and ride no hands to just before where the double track starts. At this point the a*** raped rabbit kicks in again to fly to the next single track section. Now on the 2 track, I suspect some fool will likely try to pass. That's where the old tire pump in the spokes trick will have to kick in... the resulting pile up should hold the pack long enough to get back on the single track. After that, there is a good chance that there will be some riders that will be wanting to chase me down to kill me. Have you ever run from someone that's trying to kill you ? That alone should push me to a podium finish...

    [Ok, my strategy will really be to start in the back off off the line and pick off at least one person during the race so I don't finish DFL] For a noob, I suspect that will be a suitable goal.

    See ya there!
    [on the line at 8 freakin am... what's up with that?]
    Don

    On that second hill, someone will get bogged down, come to a complete stop, and get off his bike in the middle of the trail. This will result in alot of people getting stopped and getting off to run up the hill. This is where you can pick off your one person. I think thats whatI did last year.

  3. #3
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Endo King
    On that second hill, someone will get bogged down, come to a complete stop, and get off his bike in the middle of the trail. This will result in alot of people getting stopped and getting off to run up the hill. This is where you can pick off your one person. I think thats whatI did last year.
    Yep, when that cluster fock happens, it's the perfect time to pushpin a tire. You can have a pushpin conviently placed in your glove, with just the needle part sticking out. Their tire won't go flat immediatley...little way to connect it to you.....not that I would ever do such a thing myself.
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

  4. #4
    locked - time out
    Reputation: s1ngletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,724
    Nah, just be sure to ask each of the riders around you (in a lowered tone so the others don't hear) "dude, how do you ride with so little pressure in your rear tire? It seems to me that it's got to be like you are riding through a field of marshmallows , marshmallows that are sucking your energy with each pedal stroke, making you slower.... and slower... and slower, in spite of your best efforts." or "man, your rear brake is rubbing like crazy, you should've checked that before the race." Timing is everything here, these lines should be used about 1/3 the way through the race, preferrably after a long fast section and about 1/2 way up a hill.

  5. #5
    Old School
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    24

    Racing Dirty....

    Oooo I never knew that Evil could be so much fun.
    Back when I was racing cars, our team motto was "Cheat and win at all cost" More for fun really but we, like most others, did our share of cheating. It's kind of like getting away with something. There is some satisfaction being smarter than the tech crew.

    One carry over application from racing cars, could be a well places short brake. Maybe like at the top of that steep climb... a little pop on the brakes at the top could leave a nice pile of bikes in the wake.

    Kind of makes me wonder if people really do some of this stuff.... Oh well, Cheat and win

  6. #6
    locked - time out
    Reputation: s1ngletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,724
    Quote Originally Posted by MyPC8MyBrain

    Kind of makes me wonder if people really do some of this stuff.... Oh well, Cheat and win
    Nah - Most of the guys I've raced with have been really cool, of course I was racing CX and would see the same people every weekend. I did have one guy start bumping up against me from the side once, what he was trying to accomplish I'm not sure, but it pissed me off enough that I put a good 15 seconds on him during the next lap.

  7. #7
    Rocket Scientist
    Reputation: bpatterson6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Yep, when that cluster fock happens, it's the perfect time to pushpin a tire. You can have a pushpin conviently placed in your glove, with just the needle part sticking out. Their tire won't go flat immediatley...little way to connect it to you.....not that I would ever do such a thing myself.
    Dude,
    That is so NOT funny. That sort of thing used to happen to me all the time right before my Mains when I raced BMX. Thats a crappy feeling.

  8. #8
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,175
    Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson6
    Dude,
    That is so NOT funny. That sort of thing used to happen to me all the time right before my Mains when I raced BMX. Thats a crappy feeling.
    Deep breath...I WAS KIDDING...Only a real arse would do something like. I've never had a bad experiencing racing myself, except for the whole suffering thing.
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

  9. #9
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,009
    Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson6
    Dude,
    That is so NOT funny. That sort of thing used to happen to me all the time right before my Mains when I raced BMX. Thats a crappy feeling.
    BMXers evidentally needed UST with Stans.

  10. #10
    Rocket Scientist
    Reputation: bpatterson6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    BMXers evidentally needed UST with Stans.
    That would have been nice to have back then.
    Except I ran what was then called "Sew ups" Tire, Tube and all was one piece.
    When that happened my dad usually filled my tires with Fix a Flat, that was usually good enough to get me through the Moto and then he could change my tire.

    Never the less it sucked. But what was the worst was it was usually the one of the other kids in my class parents that were the guilty party. Some people will do whatever to get the competition out of the way. even if it means cheating. I cant count how many times I had flat tires right before the mains or was asked to show birth certificates at an event or whatever. People get crazy. Especially when you are chasing points and in the hunt for the #1 Plate for the season.






    I now return this thread hi-Jack back to it's original topic.
    I hope you do well at the event and good luck!!
    Sorry for the Hi-Jack!

  11. #11
    old enough to know better
    Reputation: headhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    300

    At least no one mentioned body armor

    Seriously, I'll be with you in the slow old class. I put in extra Stan's just in case.

Similar Threads

  1. The uphill battle: Dauset race report
    By *rt* in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 10:32 AM
  2. The uphill battle: Dauset race report
    By *rt* in forum Women's Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 01:15 PM
  3. The uphill battle: Dauset race report
    By *rt* in forum Passion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 11:44 AM
  4. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 01:17 PM
  5. The signs point to ‘No’ – a race report (of sorts)
    By *rt* in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-17-2004, 12:14 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.