mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Battle the bear/ FR50

I'm thnking about doing this event and wonder what would be a good bike for the course? My YBB, or a 3inch fully? I've never ridden at the venue and wonder how rough it is and weither i'll need 3inches of travel or if a hardtail/YBB will be ok. Any input I could get would be apprecaited. Thanks

mtbr member
    For me (a 40 y/o female) it would depend on which race. I'm doing the 50, so I'm using my full suspension. If I were going to do the 20 or 30 mile, I'd go with my hardtail. It is a really fast course, not a lot of bumps.

I just know for me 50 miles of trails on my hardtail would beat me up, especially my back. That's why I'm going full suspension.

Marcia

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If you're ever going to race a hardtail, this is the course.

This year's course is a bit rougher / bumpier, with more climbing than the 2 previous courses i've raced there, but the ht is still the best option.

Chillmolly brings up a good point...i think i'd personally still use the ht for the 50, but the decision wouldn't be so easy.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    I am planning on a HT with a pair of high volume Conti Race King's in 2.2 set up with Stan's...provided some specific equipment arrives from the team manager early this week.

This will also be my first time racing/riding at this venue.
    Last edited by KERKOVEJ; 05-12-2008 at 06:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The 50-miler starts at 8:30am. The x-country races have start times between 8:45 and 11:30am. All doing the same 10-mile loop. That should be interesting...

I did last year's race and it was fun.

mtbr member
    This will be the first time anyone has ridden this course, since it is almost totally different from the previous years' courses. Even the stuff that has been retained is different, since most of it will be ridden in the opposite direction. I'm happy because some of my favorite trails in the park are part of the course It's gonna be a lot more fun.

I'll be riding a FS because that is all I got, but I am going to lock out the rear suspension as much as possible. The trails are pretty smooth.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That beggs the question, Which event to do, 30 or 50? Are three laps of this course going to be enough? or is is fun enough to do five? another question is Why is the 50 miler $60 and the 30, $45?What type of support does this event usually offer? Will they have h2o bottle handups + food, at the aid station, or are we on are own for feed?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker
    That beggs the question, Which event to do, 30 or 50? Are three laps of this course going to be enough? or is is fun enough to do five? another question is Why is the 50 miler $60 and the 30, $45?What type of support does this event usually offer? Will they have h2o bottle handups + food, at the aid station, or are we on are own for feed?
    I've sent e-mails to Kristina at Warriors Cycling (her link is on the Front Range 50 website) with several questions. I'm sure she'd be able to answer you. I'm hoping my husband can hand food/water off to me.

Marcia

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

elevation?

Anybody know the elevation gain for that race, total or per lap? I checked out the registrants and they all look speedy to me...hope there are some slow folks coming.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    So, I see the singlespeed category, is it worth it? I mean are you going to be spinning out on every flat section and blowing up? Never ridden there so at least it would be something new. We'll see. Maybe just for fun. Anybody else gonna single it?
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Ride, Rinse, Repeat

S L O W

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    Anybody know the elevation gain for that race, total or per lap? I checked out the registrants and they all look speedy to me...hope there are some slow folks coming.
    NO worries, I'm planning on coming down to fill the "slow folks" role....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker
    That beggs the question, Which event to do, 30 or 50? Are three laps of this course going to be enough? or is is fun enough to do five?
    Oh sure... fun enough to do five? I'll have plenty of fun just doing two, thanks
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

hmmmmm
    I was just there on Sunday and rode parts of the course.

It looks like they have found every hill in the park and will make you ride it... It's going to be a really fun race for sure.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON

Nutrition support

Just got this response from the race director via email about nutrition on course...

Feed Zone - There will be tables set up with coolers of Hammer Heed and water that you can stop and fill your own bottles with. We will have cups of refreshment available to grab and go. (sorry, no bottles) Plan on staging your own bottles and food on the table, in a cooler, sack or whatever at the feed zone if you want to have your own feed available.

tiny rider
    I'm planning on showing up. This is my first bike race, so I'll probably safely fit in the 'slow folks' roster.

I'm leaning towards my SS, just to confirm that.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

laps

1030' per lap, 10 miles on the nose. The climbing is split into 4 climbs. You aren't kidding about the regestered folks. It's the top dogs in my class.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

passing space?

Is there enough space on that course for people to pass (me) ? All those speedy racers yelling "rider on left" and having to constantly move over does not sound that great.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Plenty

Is there enough space on that course for people to pass (me) ? All those speedy racers yelling "rider on left" and having to constantly move over does not sound that great.
    lotsa room. You can pass on nearly half the course.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

People of zee wurl,Relax!

SS Gearing?

I decided to do the race about 10 minutes ago and trying to figure out what gear to run. I've been riding some very big climbs lately so the 29er is geared 32x20. I can swap to 32x18 tonight or tomorrow morning. Only 1000 ft of climbing in 10 miles isn't very much. My usual ride in the mornings climbs 2500 ft in an hour and a half. I'm thinking I'll be spinnng out alot but I'll have fun. Sooo, if I get lazy and leave my gearing 32x20 will I regret it?
    Less Talk, More Rock.
    http://www.peakmtb.com

SS Chimp
    Quote Originally Posted by trail topher
    I decided to do the race about 10 minutes ago and trying to figure out what gear to run. I've been riding some very big climbs lately so the 29er is geared 32x20. I can swap to 32x18 tonight or tomorrow morning. Only 1000 ft of climbing in 10 miles isn't very much. My usual ride in the mornings climbs 2500 ft in an hour and a half. I'm thinking I'll be spinnng out alot but I'll have fun. Sooo, if I get lazy and leave my gearing 32x20 will I regret it?
    Just me but I am running 55 gear inches ( 34x18 ) on a 29'er
    all single...all the time

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Expect mud! I rode it yesterday and it was very sticky in spots...stopped my 29" wheels completely with gunk lodged in the fork and rear stays. I bailed in about 10 minutes. If it dries out...it will be very fast! Ride the rigid bike if you got one.
    [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]"Jet Propulsion provided by Del Taco"[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PattD
    Expect mud! I rode it yesterday and it was very sticky in spots...stopped my 29" wheels completely with gunk lodged in the fork and rear stays. I bailed in about 10 minutes. If it dries out...it will be very fast! Ride the rigid bike if you got one.
    Rode it today, its just fine. You can be completely mud free without trying very hard at all.

tiny rider
    I'll be running my magic gear 33x18 on kiddy wheels. Say hi as you all go whizzing by