Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Basic Questions Regarding Trails And Locations From A Newcomer to CO

Just some basics as I am moving to Denver near year end. Maybe there is already a thread on this, but I am just curious in terms of riding in the Denver area and beyond.

Are there good trails to ride within the suburbs?

Or I guess the better question is, how far do you have to go from the suburbs to hit some good trails without going all the way out to the resort areas, etc.?

I would be looking for intermediate type stuff and welcome some trail suggestions for my first rides near Denver and beyond.

Last question would be, what months of the year are most of you consistently able to ride? (I live in Michigan and can't wait for the better climate).

Thanks in advance.

I think I can.

You can always ride here

Most of us find a way to ride year round, gotta love the snow and the cold but it can be done. As for the suburbs, that is an open ended statement, where are you looking to live or where is your job?

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

mtbr member

Denver Trails

There's lots of good intermediate mountain biking trails near Denver, but none in the city. (The metro area has miles of paved bike paths, and some area parks have dirt paths, but these are all very easy.) When you get here - or even before - you can buy some good maps that show hiking/biking trails in the area. Some of the favorite local trails in the foothills west of town are: Hall Ranch, Heil Valley Ranch, Walker Ranch, White Ranch, Golden Gate State Park, Centennial Cone Park, Mathews-Winter Park, Mt. Falcon Park and Deer Creek Canyon Park. Depending on where you settle, these parks will be 10-40 miles away. There are, of course, many more open space parks and ski resorts higher up in the mountains that offer great mountain biking in the summer.
    Die-hard bikers ride year around, relishing time on the trail in winter when the ground is frozen, using wide tires with studs to get through the snow and ice. More ordinary bikers content themselves with a biking season that runs from late April to late October.
    Good luck with your move to Colorado!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Not sure where we will be living yet. My wife and I are both attorneys. It is likely she will work downtown or south of the city in DTC or Cherry Creek. I plan to start my own business in the Denver area that will resonate well with the mountain biking community. Things are under wraps at the moment due to some non-disclosure agreements, but it will be a new breed of restaurant that I hope is a huge success. I am glad to learn that there is good riding near the city since my time will be limited during the start up phase. Skiing is my other passion, but it is a much larger time commitment. Thanks for the list, that looks like a great list. I haven't ridden on a paved trail since I hit my first single track 8 years ago. Denver is different though, so I imagine I will more casual local riding for the convenience.

mtbr member
    A good place to find where trails are close to where you might live:

http://www.singletracks.com/mountain-bike/trails.php

Where I live in Lakewood I'm within 10 miles of trails so I ride from my house on roads and sometimes a bike path to get to dirt.

As far as winter riding, yeah almost year round. It does get cold Dec/Jan or sometimes Feb where the temps can be in the single digits. As for snow, it is so dry here that it doesn't stick around very long usually and the trails dry out fast. Although on many trails that have north facing section they can become icy. It's hit or miss, depending on what you want to ride, but possible year round.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    NO MORE MICHIGANDERS. We reached our quota YEARS ago.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    This isn't the first time I have heard anti-Michigan sentiment and it is something that I will have to get used to. I am sure you were just being funny too, but to be honest, it is strange when I see intra-state protectionism in America. Admittedly, it is quite common across the country, this notion that states belong to those who were born there. Such a flawed position. For example, my daughter is 6 weeks old. By the time we get to Colorado, she will be about 6 months. She will be raised there but will be less of a Coloradoan because she was born in Michigan? Makes no sense to me. More importantly, we are one nation.

It is horrible for attorneys in particular because we have to be licensed in every state we want to practice in. Some states make this easy (if you practice for 5 years, Colorado will let you waive in for a fee), Some states make it super tough (Florida - you have to take a complete bar exam regardless of years of practice). None of these mindsets make sense to me at all.

In my mind, it reminds of communist Russia, where you literally were not free to move from state to state within the union. I am just one of those folks that thinks we live in one country where we have this incredible right to go wherever we choose. We should all welcome each other as Americans regardless of our state of origin. I have traveled extensively in the U.S. and have held on to Colorado as my favorite since I was 18. Now, at 35, I am finally mustering what it takes to get out there.

Some will welcome us, some may not. But, to me, Colorado does not belong to people that were born within the state limits, it belongs to America.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by shodan22
    This isn't the first time I have heard anti-Michigan sentiment and it is something that I will have to get used to. I am sure you were just being funny too, but to be honest, it is strange when I see intra-state protectionism in America. Admittedly, it is quite common across the country, this notion that states belong to those who were born there. Such a flawed position. For example, my daughter is 6 weeks old. By the time we get to Colorado, she will be about 6 months. She will be raised there but will be less of a Coloradoan because she was born in Michigan? Makes no sense to me. More importantly, we are one nation.

It is horrible for attorneys in particular because we have to be licensed in every state we want to practice in. Some states make this easy (if you practice for 5 years, Colorado will let you waive in for a fee), Some states make it super tough (Florida - you have to take a complete bar exam regardless of years of practice). None of these mindsets make sense to me at all.

In my mind, it reminds of communist Russia, where you literally were not free to move from state to state within the union. I am just one of those folks that thinks we live in one country where we have this incredible right to go wherever we choose. We should all welcome each other as Americans regardless of our state of origin. I have traveled extensively in the U.S. and have held on to Colorado as my favorite since I was 18. Now, at 35, I am finally mustering what it takes to get out there.

Some will welcome us, some may not. But, to me, Colorado does not belong to people that were born within the state limits, it belongs to America.
    That's all well and eloquent and whatever, but give it a couple of years. You'll likely agree the quota of midwesterners relocating to Colorado was reached the day after you arrived.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    This isn't the first time I have heard anti-Michigan sentiment and it is something that I will have to get used to. I am sure you were just being funny too, but to be honest, it is strange when I see intra-state protectionism in America. Admittedly, it is quite common across the country, this notion that states belong to those who were born there. Such a flawed position.
    I'm a Michigander. I just got here a long time before you.

I *was* just kidding. I'm just glad you're not Texan or Californian.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I'm a Michigander. I just got here a long time before you.

I *was* just kidding. I'm just glad you're not Texan or Californian.
    Oh- is there a difference? btw how are the red wings doing in the playoffs?
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    btw how are the red wings doing in the playoffs?
    The who?

I think I can.

Are you really an attorney

And from the mid west? man you sound more like your from Texas

You will find the majority of the single track closer to the mountains. As your time looks very limited for the next couple years the paved commuter trails will be your best bet for now, but once you expand out and start finding the single track you will be in absolute heaven.

Welcome to Colorado, don't take it personally, as a native Californian I got more grief than I expected, just blow it off as they are just joking.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

mtbr member
    As a Colorado native, Welcome to Colorado!

The mountain biking here is superb! At first it might be overwhelming, but keep trying, you'll get to the top of the trails with some work!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by herothedog
    As a Colorado native, Welcome to Colorado!

The mountain biking here is superb! At first it might be overwhelming, but keep trying, you'll get to the top of the trails with some work!
    Hero speaks the truth. What most of us Front Rangers would consider a "moderate" climb will likely kill you for the first few months.

mtbr member
    Just some basics as I am moving to Denver near year end. Maybe there is already a thread on this, but I am just curious in terms of riding in the Denver area and beyond.

Are there good trails to ride within the suburbs?

Or I guess the better question is, how far do you have to go from the suburbs to hit some good trails without going all the way out to the resort areas, etc.?

I would be looking for intermediate type stuff and welcome some trail suggestions for my first rides near Denver and beyond.

Last question would be, what months of the year are most of you consistently able to ride? (I live in Michigan and can't wait for the better climate).

Thanks in advance.
    I moved from Ohio about 3 years ago. When you get out here, join this group.

http://www.meetup.com/Lakewood-Begin...untain-Biking/

They did wonders for my riding ability, physical conditioning, and knowledge of trails, as well as just having a good group of people to go riding with to keep you motivated. Now I lead rides for them. Can't recommend this group enough (despite the stupid long URL).

I live in the suburbs north of Denver because I work downtown. I take the bus into work, so I put all my mileage on my car driving to trails to ride. You do have to get used to driving a bit for good riding if you live in the suburbs around Denver. Not sure what part of Michigan you're from, but Colorado is probably more spread out than you'll be most likely be used to.

Also, don't worry about the anti-midwest jokes. These guys are just messing with you (mostly). They be trolling. To be honest most of the people I've met in Colorado are pretty cool. There are some though that are pretty elitist about being born here. Nowhere else do I see people with "NATIVE" bumper stickers. Those are the ones you have to watch out for.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

Total Goober
    Sep 2009

You, my friend, must be a blast to hang out with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    May 2011
    @ Bigsteve, you could do a lot worse

mtbr member
    May 2011
    @ Joe, yes I am an attorney. I am already registered in Colorado but my license is inactive until I get out there. My wife is an attorney as well.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Frikkin' lawyers.

mtbr member
    What kind of tires are on your bike? That will be a deciding factor on which trails you can ride.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    2011 Fisher HiFi Pro - racing ralph rear, rocket ron front is what I have right now in Michigan---way more bike than I need here.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    2011 Fisher HiFi Pro - racing ralph rear, rocket ron front is what I have right now in Michigan---way more bike than I need here.
    Those tires will kill you out here.

mtbr member
    Buy it, read it, ride it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO
    You, my friend, must be a blast to hang out with.
    You beat me to it.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    ...I am an attorney. ...wife is an attorney as well.
    Why are you two still here after the rapture on Sat? Oh wait...nevermind

BTW welcome to CO I'm not even from this country...as SS loves to point out
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast