mtbr member

Barbour Fork Loop

Did it August 2nd, after getting the gpx off singletracks.com. Not what I expected. It kind of went like this:

- 4wd road up. Ok
    --Get on single track. nice. Saw a bunch of black birds fly up in this meadow and figured there was some reason they were there. Went off trail into the meadow until I saw a dead cow, fresh, with his belly ripped out. Figured it was a mountain lion kill and HAULED ASS.
    - Nice views.
    - Reach relative high point, start down. Trail completely invisible. Without GPS, never would have found it.
    - Downhill through woods. Trail very faint. More like skid marks. Straight down, no winding or switch backs. Seems like bad design for erosion.
    - Back on 4wd road. Climb sucked! Walked.
    - Missed turn for singletrack. GPS says its right nearby. I try cutting through the woods, walking my bike. GPS says I'm right on the trail but I don't see it.
    - Lost trail a couple more times. A lot of walking through woods, thinking I'm on the trail, checking GPS and realizing I veered off it again.
    - Final downhill. Again, straight down, no winding, erosion from skid marks, but apparently lightly used.

Overall, I liked the mountains and nice views etc. But didn't really get much good flow and had to walk a lot. Also, a lot of hunter shooter types hanging around the parking area, but didn't really see anyone on the whole ride.
    Might do it again sometime, but I'm in no hurry.

mtbr member
    i have ridden it couple times. last year. been meaning to go back this year. got lost there several times exploring, even dropped all the way down to devils canyon once. still trying to figure out the best way to link all the single track.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    smilinsteve - I feel your pain - Every time I go to Barbour Forks I find a new way to get lost.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by calzonical View Post
    smilinsteve - I feel your pain - Every time I go to Barbour Forks I find a new way to get lost.
    +1

First time I rode it, I ended up at the old summer camp that is further down below the circle parking lot. Finding the trail at the top of the 2nd fire road climb/horse meadow is darn near impossible.

We hiked it backwards (uphill) one time and I could kinda, sorta follow the trail. Not sure why it get's a relatively high rating as I feel the ride is kinda frustrating...

mtbr member
    LOL I was feeling kind of stupid at how badly it went for me. It's good to know others have had similar experiences.

Finding the trail at the top of the 2nd fire road climb/horse meadow is darn near impossible.
    Yes! That's where I really got lost and my GPS was telling me the trail was right there but I couldn't see it. Ended up going down a big hill when I thought I found the track, but then checked my GPS and I was way east of where I should have been, so I had to turn around and walk back up it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Great fun. No one there on week days. Add trail 48 on the way up for fun single trak climb. Someone here that is from idaho springs can give you better directions.
    I'd love too....but now I just got back from a 50 miler, so can't really think much now.

Barbour Fork To Devils Canyon Trail to Devils Canyon Loop by glovemtb at Garmin Connect - Details

Could have been a lion who I thought had been working the area or pack of coyotes for that matter. Since it was rotting, they already are looking for other game. (Yea, I sprinted away from the smell not going anywhere near it.)
    Btw, there is one section up there where you could cut over to Juniper pass on 103 years ago (old map shows one at Battle mountain and also further up Not talking about once you get all way into Devils Canyon Loop), but I can't find it anymore...anyone ?
    Last edited by glovemtb; 08-25-2013 at 04:40 AM.