FleshwoundGravityResearch

Bad day for losing Garmin 500: Bluesky Coyote Rimrock

I too lost my Garmin 500 yesterday. Unfortunately, I can't pin down exactly where along our ride on Coyote, Rimrock and Bluesky that it decided to let loose.

Riding back up in the dark was a poor search, so I may have missed it rather than it was found.

So if anyone finds it, PLEASE send me a notification.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    That's a bummer mtn hack, hope you're able to recover it. I'm planning to do Bluesky this afternoon so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Just curious - was your 500 mounted to the stock Garmin mount (plastic bit attached to stem with two rubber straps)? I run a 500 too and worry about it popping off.

Yes, it was. Normally I have it on the stem, but I had a new stem that I wasn't sure was going to stay on the bike. I didn't want to mar it in case I needed to get rid of it, so this one ride it was mounted to the bar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    At least our ride had a nice sunset
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bad day for losing Garmin 500: Bluesky Coyote Rimrock-2014-03-13-18.43.11.jpg  

mtbr member
    Think its time for a real wheelset!...like I-9s
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...SC Highball-SS-....Supersix-EVO1

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ha! been there....the only difference is each spoke would be $4 to replace.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin View Post
    That's a bummer mtn hack, hope you're able to recover it. I'm planning to do Bluesky this afternoon so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Just curious - was your 500 mounted to the stock Garmin mount (plastic bit attached to stem with two rubber straps)? I run a 500 too and worry about it popping off.
    It's been awhile since I had a 500, but does it have the little loop where you can put the lanyard strap? After seeing my 510 pop off easily in a crash, I put the lanyard strap on and stretch it (it's elastic) over my bars, so if it does pop off it'd still be attached to the bike in a manner. Idea to think about... definitely a way expensive tiny little device that is so easy to lose!

Well, a couple of trips up there with no luck, means it is gone. I hope whoever finds it, rides or steps off a cliff because they are focused on their new Garmin.

(joking. sort of.)

Front Range, Colorado
    It was a rough weekend for lost parts out there. I was on the Devils Backbone trail and stopped to rest. I realized my Contour camera rear cap was missing. Two senior citizens ladies were walking by as I realized it. They asked what I was looking for as my head was buried looking down at the trail. I explained a small black plastic cap from my camera. They started looking as they walked away. About 100' down the trail they yelled out "I think we found it". I rode up to them and to my surprise they did indeed find it. What a relief as they don't make those cameras anymore and it's worthless without it having the on / off button built into the cap. And I lost it in one of the rockiest sections of the trail and I figured it was gone forever.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    At least our ride had a nice sunset
    Ditch the aluminum nipples and run brass. That's the second reason to not use alloy nipples. The first is the inability to true a wheel.

<100%
    Lost my 500 at Keystone last year. Got it back in a hour - someone found it and turned it in. This is me trying to share some of my good fortune with you.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Ditch the aluminum nipples and run brass. That's the second reason to not use alloy nipples. The first is the inability to true a wheel.
    Aluminum nips + carbon rims = corrosion. I figured I'd wait for something to happen rather than change it to brass protactively. Well, something did happen. I already was planning to build new wheels (with brass nips) anyway. I will miss the pretty red though...

Thanks for the vibes jsj, but I am guessing it is upgrade time.