Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    The Notorious S.L.O

Bad Behaviour at 3sis/Evr grn mtn

Saturday, holiday weekend, and you can imagine the trails were a bit crowded. I was on the downhill side, riding wild iris loop in the meadow, and a family is approaching, mom, dad, 3 kids and a dog, they step off to their right, giving me the trail, I slow down to a near crawl and hug the far side of the trail, as I just about pass them, some guy blows thru space that both me and the family had given up in an attempt to be courteous.
    Truly uncool and really not going far in keeping the mtb biker crowd in a positive light.
    This guy was fully kitted out in local sponsor gear, riding a pretty nice bike, so I am thinking he should know better.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well....we're waiting. What was his kit?

Rat him and his sponsor out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Did you say something to the guy when he did it, or did you just go to the internet to complain after the fact?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggs View Post
    Well....we're waiting. What was his kit?

Rat him and his sponsor out.
    Agreed. It starts with cyclists policing themselves so we do not loose privileges and reduce negative public perception.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I thought I yelled "STRAVA" loud enough for both parties to hear. Sorry, next time I'll use my megaphone. You cheeseballs were just sitting there blocking the trail, don't you know that segment is one of the most contested KOM's on the front range.

Thanks for noticing my kit, hope you continue to buy products from my sponsors. BTW, if I hadn't gotten that Strava KOM, my sponsors were gonna drop me anyways...

cbw
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    All weekend I ran into people not giving the right of way to uphill riders/being rude. More than once it was so bad that I was elbowed going uphill as they plowed downhill, almost losing it. I would always yell at them to yield the right of way.

However it didn't stop me from being polite and thanking everyone that did yield/were not aholes. Almost felt the need to ask for forgiveness for all the rude riders when I did run into some nice people.

But it was a great weekend and a few bad eggs couldn't take away from the perfect conditions.

lucky enough
    cbw, what trails did you have issues on?
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Bad behavior on trails on the Front Range on one of the busiest holiday weekends of the year??

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by btadlock View Post
    Saturday, holiday weekend, and you can imagine the trails were a bit crowded. I was on the downhill side, riding wild iris loop in the meadow, and a family is approaching, mom, dad, 3 kids and a dog, they step off to their right, giving me the trail, I slow down to a near crawl and hug the far side of the trail, as I just about pass them, some guy blows thru space that both me and the family had given up in an attempt to be courteous.
    Truly uncool and really not going far in keeping the mtb biker crowd in a positive light.
    This guy was fully kitted out in local sponsor gear, riding a pretty nice bike, so I am thinking he should know better.

Maybe he was "finding his own path"?

Women and children just happen to be a barrier in his way.

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Did you say something to the guy when he did it, or did you just go to the internet to complain after the fact?
    Not too proud to admit it, but the guy smoked me, I tried catching him, it was a non-starter. Did not see him at the parking lot either.
    Did not really feel like it was a rant or complaining, just an observation of the environment on the trail.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by cbw View Post
    All weekend I ran into people not giving the right of way to uphill riders/being rude. More than once it was so bad that I was elbowed going uphill as they plowed downhill, almost losing it. I would always yell at them to yield the right of way.

However it didn't stop me from being polite and thanking everyone that did yield/were not aholes. Almost felt the need to ask for forgiveness for all the rude riders when I did run into some nice people.

But it was a great weekend and a few bad eggs couldn't take away from the perfect conditions.
    Sounds like you and I were on the same ride, granted it was a holiday weekend and crowded, I still had a great ride, actually suprised how few other trail users I encounted given the number of cars in the lots. This incident did not rain on my ride, just thought it was a DB move.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Bad behavior on trails on the Front Range on one of the busiest holiday weekends of the year??

Busy or not, does not justify a DB move.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

friend of Apex
    ya know, building a good one-way trail or two would go along way to reducing trail conflict
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    http://static.squarespace.com/static...-Trail_Map.pdf

Read those glorious rules posted on that map. I miss some of this now that I'm out here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildog1775 View Post

Read those glorious rules posted on that map. I miss some of this now that I'm out here.
    It's funny to see someone post that. I'm from Atlanta and am moving out to Denver in 2 weeks. I never have issues out here and most uphill riders will yield to downhill, but it seems like this is a real point of conflict among mtb riders in Co.

I've been riding mtb for 16 years and have never understood the yield to uphill traffic rule. You suffer on the ride up to get to go down so wouldn't it be more considerate for uphill riders to yield? But that being said, nearly all the time there is a way for both riders to get by without coming to a stop. And why is it such a big deal if someone passes you at a decent clip if there is room. I'm not saying this is the case here, but I think half the time the people who complain are ones who are kinda jealous because they're not good enough riders or comfortable enough to downhill at a decent speed.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildog1775 View Post

love that.. maybe in some future decade we will get some biker only directional trail
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    ya know, building a good one-way trail or two would go along way to reducing trail conflict
    Take your common sense and GTFO of the Front Range!
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan12210 View Post
    I
    I've been riding mtb for 16 years and have never understood the yield to uphill traffic rule. You suffer on the ride up to get to go down so wouldn't it be more considerate for uphill riders to yield? But that being said, nearly all the time there is a way for both riders to get by without coming to a stop. And why is it such a big deal if someone passes you at a decent clip if there is room. I'm not saying this is the case here, but I think half the time the people who complain are ones who are kinda jealous because they're not good enough riders or comfortable enough to downhill at a decent speed.
    I'm not saying this is the case here but, please stay in Atlanta

mtbr member
    Oh goody, can't wait to welcome another transplant to Colorado who thinks that riding off the trail so "both riders to get by without coming to a stop" is ok. And complains that uphillers should yield to downhillers. And thinks that it is ok to blow by other trail users if there is room. Truly, we just don't have enough of that here!
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

lucky enough
    I've been riding mtb for 16 years and have never understood the yield to uphill traffic rule. You suffer on the ride up to get to go down so wouldn't it be more considerate for uphill riders to yield?
    One of the main reasons for giving uphill riders the right-of-way is that on difficult climbs it can be hard to get going again once you stop. For the downhill rider, it's much easier to regain momentum. Many folks like to work on their uphill technique and continue to work on cleaning difficult uphill sections. And many of these folks enjoy the "suffering" of a hard uphill. You can feel yourself get stronger with work.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbRN View Post
    Oh goody, can't wait to welcome another transplant to Colorado who thinks that riding off the trail so "both riders to get by without coming to a stop" is ok. And complains that uphillers should yield to downhillers. And thinks that it is ok to blow by other trail users if there is room. Truly, we just don't have enough of that here!
    Well you're in luck, sweetheart. I'm coming out primarily to annoy you personally.

mtbr member
    Well you're in luck, sweetheart. I'm coming out primarily to annoy you personally.
    Sweet jesus...a Georgian Texan!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Sweet jesus...a Georgian Texan!
    I plan on skidding, everywhere... I'm talking about even in my pumas walking down the sidewalk.

mtbr member
    I've been riding mtb for 16 years and have never understood the yield to uphill traffic rule.
    Seems like your logic's been going downhill, brah...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by td_mn View Post
    I'm not saying this is the case here but, please stay in Atlanta
    +1.
    It's not how old I am, it's how old I feel - Minor Threat

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast