Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Avid biker from PA, just accepted a job in Lone Tree

Hey guys, i have a quick question maybe you guys can help me with. I am currently living in Pennsylvania but just accepted a job at a hospital (sky ridge medical center) in Lone Tree, CO. I dont know a whole lot about the area, but I am going to be driving out there the last week of May. I am trying to decide on where a good place to live is. I have heard wash park area is awesome (have visited there before). I never drove all the way south to Lone Tree, so i was wondering if it's possible to live just south of washington park and drive to Lone Tree for my job. I know on google it says it's a 14ish mile drive, but i dont know what traffic is like going south on 87 all the way to lone tree. Any info you guys could give me would be great. I am 26 years old, bringing my dog and my bikes. Will be looking for a decent area to live in that has some parks/younger people with some access to riding (road and mtn). I appreciate any help as Im basically winging this. It isn't easy trying to find housing when you live 2,000 miles away. Thanks.
    Dan

a dad
    Jan 2004
    no real clue on the drive.. but good luck, CO is great..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    I'd look at a place along the foothills and shoot in to Lonetree via C470. Deer Creek, Ken Carol, and that area towards the south end of Chatfield...Roxborough? They're all close to trails.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Yappy little dog!
    See sticky at top and welcome, fellow easterner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    See sticky at top and welcome, fellow easterner.
    Oh yeah, my bad. I was supposed to say, "do a search n00b!"
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have done tons of searches, but it was a more specific question about traffic on 87 and what a reasonable commute would be. Will also be looking for a new road and mtn crew to meet up with if any of you are willing to show an easterner the ropes. Thanks guys.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Dude. That's I-25.

And during rush hour that commute is gonna SUCK.

Riding your bike down to Lone Tree from Wash Park might work, though.

mtbr member
    what does your schedule look like? i live about a mile from sky ridge, right on the edge of lone tree in the next town over, highlands ranch [=suburbia] and my wife is also in the medical field, works downtown, not too far from wash park. her [reverse] commute is no more than 20 - 25 minutes due to the fact she starts work at 7am and finishes at 730pm... if you're working a similar schedule, your commute should be pretty similar. as always, there may be occasions that you hit traffic, tonight it took her almost an hour to get home.

not actually bad :)
    I don't get down there during rush hour too often, but I don't think the commute to Lone Tree from anywhere will be fun.
    A couple ?s you will need to answer for "helpful help" from us.
    1 - The age old - do you want to live close to your recreation or close to your work?
    2 - Buying? Renting?
    3 - How much you looking to spend?
    I'm sure that'll just get us started.

And, I think the joke is going to be on you, either that or Sky Ridge didn't realize you were from out of state, (and I can't believe skaredshtles didn't mention it), but Colorado is closed, so...yeah!
    Old Codger

a dad
    Jan 2004
    the dude is 26.. not sure he wants to live in lone tree and wash park is probably appealing because he is single and wants to get out on the town.. am I right about that? If that is the case, don't live in highlands ranch or the foothills and Wash park might be the best option.. but figuring out the traffic and timing is going to be important..
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia
    the dude is 26.. not sure he wants to live in lone tree and wash park is probably appealing because he is single and wants to get out on the town.. am I right about that? If that is the case, don't live in highlands ranch or the foothills and Wash park might be the best option.. but figuring out the traffic and timing is going to be important..
    if you were referring to what i wrote, i wasn't advocating he live in hr or lone tree, just that the commute from wash park to lone tree might not be too bad as his schedule could have him missing the worst of the traffic. wash park or one of those type neighborhoods would be a much better bet. if i was single, had no kids and lived in hr, i would had shot myself by now!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

I'll make an assumption

that you're gonna be into going out and stuff as much as you are riding. If that's the case, Wash Park/ So Pearl area is the *easiest* intown commute down to Lone Tree.

If you're at Sky Ridge, you can ride the light rail from DU to 1 a few miles north of Sky Ridge and then bike it the rest of the way....The drive isn't terrible. I used to do it every day and it was seldom more than 20 minutes from the south end of DTC to my house in Wash Park.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I actually will be on the same schedule as your wife in the medical field. 7am-730pm is my shift, 3 days per week. I appreciate the suggestions, i'll check out some of the areas on google maps and see what the route looks like. Carlos, i'll have to get in touch with you when i head out there. Probably will end up with a place near washington park and leave early for work if possible to get there before traffic. Hopefully all works out well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DanV1317
    I actually will be on the same schedule as your wife in the medical field. 7am-730pm is my shift, 3 days per week. I appreciate the suggestions, i'll check out some of the areas on google maps and see what the route looks like. Carlos, i'll have to get in touch with you when i head out there. Probably will end up with a place near washington park and leave early for work if possible to get there before traffic. Hopefully all works out well.
    Since you have to be at work at 7am, that is way before the worst of the morning rush hour. Since you're coming home after 7:30pm that's way after the worst of the afternoon rush hour.

As opposed to leaving your house at 8am and being in a parking lot the whole way then coming back at 3:30pm and yelling at the stopped traffic all around you.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

It wouldn't take all that

for me to shoot myself for living in HR.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    You will be all good with that schedule..
    BBZ

mtbr member
    With your schedule you shouldn't rule out any neighborhoods in Denver; I am assuming you will work some weekends as well so commuting overall for you won't be bad. Look into Capital Hill and the Highlands also. Highlands is nice because you have easy access to downtown and a short drive to the trails in Golden and Morrison.

mtbr member
    I live in Golden, and work 5 miles shy of Parker, and commute daily (Hwy 6 to I25). I can get from the Taj to Parker Rd/Arapaho in 30 mins pretty consistently if I'm on the road at 6am. It's a different crew on the roads at 6 than those who are on the roads at 6:15! If you shoot down I25 at 6am and after 7pm, no worries you can live anywhere in the Denver area you want. But watch out for the post happy hour crew on roads after work.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Coming South on Santa Fe or Broadway or University or I-25 will be a tough haul. Are you willing to do public transportation? There is a light rail station at SkyRidge and easy access to train stations near Wash Park.

http://www.rtd-denver.com/LightRail_Map.shtml

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Here is my $0.02. I live in Highlands Ranch now, the town west of lone tree, and moved here from the east coast a few years back. With your schedule you should hit very little traffic during your reverse commute especially compared to east coast traffic.
    I would look at the Wash Park/DU area. Is more expensive than other areas becuase it is a popular place to live. The only potential downside is Wash Park is not the closest to any trails. However Sky Ridge is next to a Douglas County trailhead that will link you to miles of trails heading west and south which will eventually take you to Sante Fe. These are not "Epic" trails but not bad for county/suberbia trail. Most of it is singletrack, about 3 ft. wide. The other benefit of the area is the road riding is also good and close to the canyons/foothills for training.
    Let me know if you would like more info on the area.

Attached is a link to the trails. The trailhead next to Target/SkyRidge is in the Bluffs Regional Park.
    http://www.douglas.co.us/parksandtra...ap06-14-10.pdf

mtbr member
    yeah mate, sounds good. pm me when you get into town. like i said, my wife does the reverse commute to what you'll be doing, leaves at 6:15 with time to get coffee, park and into report by 7. where in pa are you coming from? we moved here from dc/nova and by comparison, the worst traffic days here would be considered light there.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Carlos, im moving from just slightly north of Philadelphia. Very excited for the move. When you guys moved, did you use a uhaul and tow a vehicle? im throwing around that area versus getting a "pod" and packing it and having it dropped off in colorado. I thank you guys for the help, seems like most of you agree it will be an OK reverse commute for the hours that my work schedule are. Plus it's only 3 days a week. Im going to keep looking in the wash park area on craigslist for stuff. thanks again.

Yappy little dog!
    Carlos, im moving from just slightly north of Philadelphia. Very excited for the move. When you guys moved, did you use a uhaul and tow a vehicle? im throwing around that area versus getting a "pod" and packing it and having it dropped off in colorado. I thank you guys for the help, seems like most of you agree it will be an OK reverse commute for the hours that my work schedule are. Plus it's only 3 days a week. Im going to keep looking in the wash park area on craigslist for stuff. thanks again.
    For three days a week, live in Golden. The 20 minutes you save driving to the trail will be worth living against the mountain. My .02

Do you ride Wiss a lot? Nothing like that out here. Get ready to climb.

I'm originally from Marlton, NJ.

mtbr member
    i have in-laws [also in the medical business] in bryn mawr and spent some time in oaks and pheonixville for work...

i've actually lived out here twice. the first time we did the uhaul and towed a jeep while my wife drove her jeep separately with pets etc. but we were moving from a 1 bedroom apt to another. the most recent move involved 4 kids and moving from a 4 bedroom house to a 5 bedroom house, so we had it moved professionally. if i were doing it alone, i'd take my time, stop to ride in a few places along the way and make an adventure of it. or blast straight through in one shot and spend the extra time getting to know the area and riding here!

depending on how you spend your time when your not working or riding is probably going to dictate where you end up... if you like going out to bars, restaurants or clubs the wash park/du thing might be better. i'm not sure i'd want to be 26, single and living in golden but i don't know it that well. i think i'd rather drive to work and the trails and be around some evening/weekend activity [ie, college chicks!].

but those days are long gone for me, so what do i know!

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos9
    i have in-laws [also in the medical business] in bryn mawr and spent some time in oaks and pheonixville for work...

i've actually lived out here twice. the first time we did the uhaul and towed a jeep while my wife drove her jeep separately with pets etc. but we were moving from a 1 bedroom apt to another. the most recent move involved 4 kids and moving from a 4 bedroom house to a 5 bedroom house, so we had it moved professionally. if i were doing it alone, i'd take my time, stop to ride in a few places along the way and make an adventure of it. or blast straight through in one shot and spend the extra time getting to know the area and riding here!

depending on how you spend your time when your not working or riding is probably going to dictate where you end up... if you like going out to bars, restaurants or clubs the wash park/du thing might be better. i'm not sure i'd want to be 26, single and living in golden but i don't know it that well. i think i'd rather drive to work and the trails and be around some evening/weekend activity [ie, college chicks!].

but those days are long gone for me, so what do i know!
    I missed the single part, though Golden does have a College (Colorado School of Mines). I guess you just have to like brainy chicks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast