Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Avery Brewing

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882

    Avery Brewing

    Yup, another one of xcguy's weekly brewery updates. I've been to a couple other small ones lately but I realized, even though I had a sixer of Avery India Pale Ale in the coolerator, I'd never been to Avery's Tap Room. Time to remedy that!

    They're out near 55th and Arapahoe in Boulder, sort of back in amongst a bunch of other buildings. They've been around awhile and have had time to work on their selections. This time I was determined to sample something.

    Just one 4oz sampler and I can still drive, right? I gazed upon the beer board and ordered a duganA, an 8.5% Double IPA. I'm an IPA guy and this was fantastic. Lots of mouth feel, great hop bite, lots of different flavorings going on, I was in heaven. Just one sampler was enough.

    I went on their 4pm tour and after checking out the brewing facilities from outside the buildings (real crowded and busy back in there) and getting the Avery story, we ended up 45 minutes later in their barrel room.

    I'm always surprised how crowded a tap room like this can be on a weekday afternoon. Crowded full of happy talkative beer drinkers. What's not to like?
    Last edited by xcguy; 12-02-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  2. #2
    The Original Suspect
    Reputation: HitmenOnlyInc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,601
    Very nice!

  3. #3
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Nice, Avery kicks butt, waiting on the Old Jubilation to release hopefully in the next week. Would like to checkout their tap room sometime as well so thx for the pics

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    Nice, Avery kicks butt, waiting on the Old Jubilation to release hopefully in the next week. Would like to checkout their tap room sometime as well so thx for the pics
    Don't know about Old Jubilation. Apparently the duganA I had is a September release. Lucky me! Our guide did tell us about some big deal tasting coming up soon but I wasn't taking notes. I did see this announcement on the wall though:
    Last edited by xcguy; 12-02-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  5. #5
    Oh, So Interesting!
    Reputation: davec113's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,159
    Nice pics, nice brewery. Not my style though, can't stand the beer...
    .




    Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

  6. #6
    Loser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    486
    Anyone been to Lone Tree Brewery? I've been told its pretty decent, but I've never had a chance to stop in.

  7. #7
    Kaj
    Kaj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    929
    The Avery IPA is in my standard rotation of Boulder and Fort Collins IPA's. It's a good one
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

  8. #8
    t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Reputation: PBR me!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,746
    can we just have a sticky of local brews and new additions!!

    Ironworks is expanding a bit internally allowing more brews - a pumpkin stout forthcoming

    Anyone been to the Lone Tree Brewery?? - heard good things about it

    nice pics XC !!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

    the blog

  9. #9
    Your bike is incorrigible
    Reputation: Guyechka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,135
    I used to climb with Adam. He used to bring his chocolate lab. He wasn't that into climbing, though. He was much more interested in talking about the beer he was making in his bathroom. 20 years later and he makes it on xcguys list of breweries to cover.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    463
    Adam is a hell of a guy.

  11. #11
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    21,217
    XCguy, I'm really enjoying these local brewery updates with photo's. You are doing a great job and if I may suggest some more photo's of the patrons enjoying the suds would be great. I personally think you should have a "sticky" thread dedicated to local Front Range brewery's with weekly updates of your encounters. Do you hear that mods,give him a sticky to keep us all informed of the local happenings.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    XCguy, I'm really enjoying these local brewery updates with photo's. You are doing a great job and if I may suggest some more photo's of the patrons enjoying the suds would be great. I personally think you should have a "sticky" thread dedicated to local Front Range brewery's with weekly updates of your encounters. Do you hear that mods,give him a sticky to keep us all informed of the local happenings.
    That's a tough call, taking pics of the patrons. I try to keep a low profile and not make folks think I'm there to capture them on film. A lot of folks don't like their pic taken. Friends whipping out their phone and shooting their buddies, yeah. Me pointing my camera at them, not so much. It's more about showing the place. Trust me, every tap room I've been in has been packed with smiling crowds.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  13. #13
    lucky enough
    Reputation: cocavaak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    851
    Avery is one of my favorite breweries. And it's nice that they sponsor some runs. Great to finish a race with a great beer.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jonny boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    456
    I'm looking forward to their move, which will place them right on the LoBo trail near Asher.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Yeah, as many people who were there and as busy as the street/alley is right next to them you had to keep your wits about you when walking around. Which became increasingly problematic for some.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  16. #16
    Ride Buck Hill Ski Area
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    151
    Lone Tree is bare bones, tables and beer. Good beer. I saw lots of people showing up with their own snacks and food. Some were ordering food and having it delivered.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    I'm always surprised how crowded a tap room like this can be on a weekday afternoon. Crowded full of happy talkative beer drinkers. What's not to like?
    I live within walking distance of two great tap rooms and a restaurant -- Lefthand, Tasty Weasel, and Oscar Blues' restaurant -- and they are all always busy, even on weekdays. Coloradoans work hard, play hard, and drink beer after!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny boy View Post
    I'm looking forward to their move, which will place them right on the LoBo trail near Asher.
    +1 ...pretty stoked about the move. they're going to be in a better area and within walking distance of my place in boulder.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jonny boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    456
    From Longmont, it makes for a nice bike ride. Hop on the St Vrain Greenway. Stop #1 Lefthand. Bike to Asher plus soon Avery, for stops 2 and 3. Bike back towards Longmont, stop #4 could be the newly opened Bootstrap. Stop #5 at Tasty Weasel or L&S.

    From my house the round-trip is about 30 miles or so, so I actually burn some of the calories I am intaking, and have fun along the way. Pretty awesome to have all that excellent beer primarily on a bike path ride.

    That would make for a long afternoon though. Last year we did two of those stops, one pint at Lefthand and two at Asher.

  20. #20
    Dickhouse
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    291
    Love Avery!

    Their creativity and willingness to explore new frontiers of beerdom is amazing. And they rarely make anything that tastes "off". I've been loving the Kaiser, imperial Oktoberfest.

    @XCguy... one 4oz taster? Really? With all those good beers on tap I'd suck it up and call wifey to pick me up. Or stuff your face with their sweet potato tots before leaving.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    Nice, Avery kicks butt, waiting on the Old Jubilation to release hopefully in the next week. Would like to checkout their tap room sometime as well so thx for the pics
    Just read this at Fermentedly Challenged (giving credit here):

    "Avery Brewing (Boulder) - This Friday at 5pm, Avery will tap Old Jubilation at their Tap Room! They're celebrating the return of their winter seasonal (yes already) with a Tacky Sweaty Sweater contest - This year, the sweater that gets the best crowd cheer takes home a case of Old Jubilation!"

    All my tacky sweaters went to Goodwill years ago. Dig one up from the back of your closet and win!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  22. #22
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    21,217
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    That's a tough call, taking pics of the patrons. I try to keep a low profile and not make folks think I'm there to capture them on film. A lot of folks don't like their pic taken. Friends whipping out their phone and shooting their buddies, yeah. Me pointing my camera at them, not so much. It's more about showing the place. Trust me, every tap room I've been in has been packed with smiling crowds.
    So I will take that as a "yes", you will try harder at getting more patron shots.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  23. #23
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Just read this at Fermentedly Challenged (giving credit here):

    "Avery Brewing (Boulder) - This Friday at 5pm, Avery will tap Old Jubilation at their Tap Room! They're celebrating the return of their winter seasonal (yes already) with a Tacky Sweaty Sweater contest - This year, the sweater that gets the best crowd cheer takes home a case of Old Jubilation!"

    All my tacky sweaters went to Goodwill years ago. Dig one up from the back of your closet and win!
    Thx wish I could go, yeah Joe at Avery emailed me last week and said it was releasing this week, hope to find it locally here this weekend. If not, might hit the tap room Sat night after my daughters soccer game in Frisco, well see.

  24. #24
    Rides Uphill Slow
    Reputation: The Hookler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    464
    Great pics and great beer for sure. We are quite lucky to have such great beer in our backyard.
    Be sure to check out this new brewery...Wild Woods Brewery - Boulder Nanobrewery - Handcrafted BeerWILD WOODS BREWERY | Opening September 25th!
    They just opened up.
    I'm here for the downhill

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •