The Notorious S.L.O

Authorized Trail work on Evergrn Mtn/3 sisters?

it has been about 3 weeks since I rode evrgrn mtn/3 sisters/alderfer, and I was on the evrgrn mtn side, on the summit trail and someone completely scewed up "the switchback". I am talking about the one with the challenging step water bar, sharp turn to the right, (going up), over the rocks and onward. The only switchback on the summit loop.
    The water bar is gone, it is just a slight uphill and switchback, making it considerably easier.

I am bit disappointed, it was only a couple of years ago that switchback owned me more times than I owned it, and still was not a obstacle that I cleared everytime.

Anyone know if that was authorized Jeffco work, or did someone just pull the waterbar our and toss it?
    Given the drop and potential for runoff, I can't imagine that this is legit.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

mtbr member
    First, I have zero official info. However, i would guess that it was Jeffco. When water bars get really big drops behind them, they're really not helpful anymore in terms of erosion prevention, and Jeffco tends to take 'em out completely, or re-bury them so they're bumps. This happens every few years on Apex, for example. And then there's Mustand over at White Ranch which is still getting re-routed due to the ginormous water bars.

So, point being, change happens and sometimes it sucks when it does, but I think it's done in the name of trail longetivity.

Motion activated
    I was there last night and the same thoughts went through my head when I saw that the water bar was gone. Didn't see any other trail maintenance done, just that one water bar missing.

That climb just won't be the same.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Yup, that was a classic challenge. I cleared it everytime unless someone happened to be nearby or watching

Bummer, but I guess things change. I have no info on whether it was a sanctioned "fix".

Ed E

I can't ride 45!
    Hmm will have to go check it out. If I remember correctly Jeffco added a waterbar a few years back which widened the switchback radius and made the turn easier. Perhaps this is what was removed?

mtbr member

Good job!

I was up there on Sunday and the waterbar was gone. Some guys I was talking to at the top of the scenic outlook said the bar was removed about a week ago.
    I have no idea whether iit was authorized, but, the spot where the bar was looked as if someone just ripped the log out w/ no other work done.
    All of us at the top mentioned that w/o the first log the challenge was gone from that turn. It was much better when it was in the original state.
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Bummer...

..this is one obstacle I will surely miss. I wasn't always able to clear it, but I knew I was having a great ride when I did. It was one of those "let's separate the men form the boys" sections.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

My monday morning ride was not the same.... I just got a new bike, and was excited to see how she handled the waterbar. Last week some yo yo piled up rocks in front of it making it very easy ( I tossed 'em off the hill). Apparently it was still too hard for the tough guy, so they returned with a crowbar! I can't imagine it was authorized......

loco
    Bummer! That really was one of the coolest parts of the trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." (Ferris Bueller)

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    Last week some yo yo piled up rocks in front of it making it very easy ( I tossed 'em off the hill)..
    I have also had to tear down the rock piles as well, more than once this spring, seems more than one person thought it needed some work to make it rideable.
    It was a nice challenge, certainly not the same ride any longer.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

loco
    It's true! Wow, with out that water bar there you just roll right up that switchback. Not much of a challenge at all anymore. It's still an awesome place to ride though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." (Ferris Bueller)

The Notorious S.L.O
    Kona, thanks for the pics.
    In the first picutre, that certainly looks like the waterbar on the right side of the trail, which I did not even see on Tuesday. I did stop on the way down, but I only looked on the downhill side.
    based upon the location of the waterbar, I would assume that this is not the work of jeffco, they are not in the habit of just tossing items as a waterbar, they would remove or install in another spot to provide some type of trail protection. It is not providing any funtion where it is now sitting.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

Trail Sanitizer
    I'm going to guess that the waterbar became dislodged and somebody moved it off the trail. Has anyone notified Jeffco? If not, I'll see if I can find their email address.

Thank YOU, Chuck Norris!
    Anyone ever figure out what happened to the water bar? Switchback is way too easy now ... guessing it probably won't be rebuilt ... too bad, though
    I see you're drinking one percent. Is that because you think you're fat?