Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

ATTN: Guys Building in Left hand

Your poor choice of areas to build a trail is not that great. Building within sight of a high traffic dirt biking/multi-use trail is sure to jeopardize future riding in the area. If you really have the best interests of the MTB and downhill community in mind you would stop building there and if you choose to continue building maybe find a better and more hidden place.

Singletrack within boulder county is already in jeopardy as it is, so please keep that in mind while you are tearing up our national forest.

Your license plate number has been given to the forest rangers. Lets hope the trail work party up there this weekend doesnt see your mess and decide to just close the singletrack up there.

Sorry for the rant!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    So you're saying I should shuttle Apex instead? Best shoe and pedal combo for shuttling Lefthand?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    If guys keep building off trail the only left hand left to ride will be the asphalt road.

mtbr member
    So announcing it on the Internet is supposed to accomplish what?

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006
    cool I'm gonna go check it out now, and I thought I wasn't going to ride lefthand OHV until winter again.

ridin dirtay
    How ruhratrded
    Dont these guys know you can't tear up the forests unless its in the name of profiteering?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow
    So announcing it on the Internet is supposed to accomplish what?
    I am totally for building trails, but to be so retarded that you build it parallel to a trail heavily used by the motorized crew is just asking for trouble. The dirt bikers are just gonna rip up your hard work when it is so easily accessible.

I figured I would bring it up here to raise some awareness. The people who are anti-biking are going to see this stuff(big jumps and berms not bad looking btw) and next thing you know the forest service is shutting down trails. The careless and selfish acts by these couple people can put a whole riding area at risk. So please, if you decide to build, do so secretly. Especially in an area like lefthand...

ONE WORD: GRAVITY
    so if the jumps and berms look good why not just leave it alone.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nhltfour
    so if the jumps and berms look good why not just leave it alone.....
    Oh i left it alone. But just because the stuff looks good, that doesn't justify building off the trail. Do these guys actually know how to build a trail, or have they watched kranked and now they are freeride trail experts?

If they want to build a trail they should hook up with the IMBA and do it the right way, legally, and with proper planning and techniques. A 250yd trail built by a couple kids on a steep hill is just gonna end up being a 250yd rutted out drainage ditch.

All of us MTBers fight to ride the trails we currently have, and bad behavior will just lead to less riding. I am kind of surprised with the lack of care you show for the longevity of legal riding on public lands. What do you think the hikers and horse back riders think when they see a couple kids with MTBs and shovels? I can assure you they don't think it is "cool".

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006
    While on the subject of LHOHV. a lil' bird told me the other day that them Forest Service profiteers closed 287B (new singletrack) due to shooting conflict. Guess people have started shooting near there. Last time I rode it felt like a stray bullet could pierce my helmet at anytime. Figured it as an anomaly, a shooter who went on a big hike to find a spot to practice. Or... was this the first closure as a result of said trailbuilding?

!Vamos, flaco!
    Props to evilforlife.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

does it look like they know how to build a trail? I am so down to ride it if it looks good. Why not. We need front range downhilling...

and its not as easy as you think to just contact IMBA and ask if you can build a trail. It takes alot of permits and money that most people dont have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydoug
    While on the subject of LHOHV. a lil' bird told me the other day that them Forest Service profiteers closed 287B (new singletrack) due to shooting conflict. Guess people have started shooting near there. Last time I rode it felt like a stray bullet could pierce my helmet at anytime. Figured it as an anomaly, a shooter who went on a big hike to find a spot to practice. Or... was this the first closure as a result of said trailbuilding?
    This may be true. The future of lefthand is certainly in peril. Growing conflict between users will not help to continue riding in the area, and once a closure happens in one place it is a slippery slope, and other areas start to shut down. I just want people to be aware to the fact that if we want to ride in the future we have to protect what we have now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    does it look like they know how to build a trail? I am so down to ride it if it looks good. Why not. We need front range downhilling...

and its not as easy as you think to just contact IMBA and ask if you can build a trail. It takes alot of permits and money that most people dont have.

If your don't have the resources to properly and correctly accomplish something, is that something you really should be doing?

Have you never had the ambition to build something and put sweat, blood and time into it....and look back after it is finished and be proud of your work

obviously not

major props to these trail builders. it sounds like it may not be in the best area but who cars. you live and you learn. I do agree that trail building should be more than taking a shovel out and starting to dig. Environmental planning is a huge part of trail building that alot of people overlook.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Have you never had the ambition to build something and put sweat, blood and time into it....and look back after it is finished and be proud of your work

obviously not

major props to these trail builders. it sounds like it may not be in the best area but who cars. you live and you learn. I do agree that trail building should be more than taking a shovel out and starting to dig. Environmental planning is a huge part of trail building that alot of people overlook.
    I have built plenty of things and have felt the accomplishment of doing so. As you can read from my earlier replies I am clearly not anti trail building, but being selective on where you build can reduce the negative appearance involved with building an illegal trail. I think the ambition is great too but to jeopardize a whole riding area because you may not know how to build and may have chosen a poor area isn't beneficial for the biking community as a whole. You live and learn and I hope these guys learn the right way to do things, or learn how to be more secretive with their work.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    major props to these trail builders.
    What? These guys are building illegally on a piece of land that could put any mountain bike access in jeopardy and you are applauding them?

If this was their private land and / or they had gotten permission and worked with the proper authorities I would applaud them to, but doing it this way is bad for all of us.

Do we need some downhill trails in the area? Absolutely.
    Is this a productive way to get them. Absolutely not.

About 5 or 6 years ago there were 4 guys that were caught building illegal trails around Boulder. I don't remember the specifics, but I believe they got some really big fines handed down to them and faced some prison time. While I do think that is a bit over the top, it just shows that the organizations around here don't look kindly on illegal building.

I agree i agree. but to bash fellow mtn bikers seem really messed up in my book. there are too many of these people in colorado these days and its really annoying.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I agree i agree. but to bash fellow mtn bikers seem really messed up in my book. there are too many of these people in colorado these days and its really annoying.
    better to hear it from your peers then to get caught in the act, especially since Saturday they are having a work crew up there.

These guys also pulled a couple tons of rocks from the surrounding area, I wonder how much habitat they displaced? This is just further evidence that they don't know what they are doing.

!Vamos, flaco!
    to bash fellow mtn bikers seem really messed up in my book.
    What a load of nonsense.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Living the High Life
    Policing and educating within the mountain bike community from inside will only improve how others (government) view us as a whole.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Quote Originally Posted by evilforlife
    better to hear it from your peers then to get caught in the act, especially since Saturday they are having a work crew up there.

These guys also pulled a couple tons of rocks from the surrounding area, I wonder how much habitat they displaced? This is just further evidence that they don't know what they are doing.
    did you ever approach the riders and talk about the situation or is hiding behind a desk, spilling out your opinions on a public forum the way you do things...

mtbr member
    No, these guys aren't bashing the trail builders but trying to guide them into what would be deemed the most appropriate thing to do. They're not saying trail building is bad, just that you can't build anywhere you want, and there can be huge consequences to many, many people by just a few. We're all mtn bikers and would love to see more trails, but you have to understand there is a way to do things, and a way to not. This is an example of a way to not.
    Biker? I don't even know her.

Quote Originally Posted by SylentK
    No, these guys aren't bashing the trail builders but trying to guide them into what would be deemed the most appropriate thing to do. They're not saying trail building is bad, just that you can't build anywhere you want, and there can be huge consequences to many, many people by just a few. We're all mtn bikers and would love to see more trails, but you have to understand there is a way to do things, and a way to not. This is an example of a way to not.

maybe bash wasnt the correct term...i just wonder if evilforlife approached the riders before starting this thread. I think there are better ways to solve a problem than strirring up the bottom of the pond on the internet. i do agree with all the points you are making about keeping the area environmentally stable and reducing the footprint of the area but the last time I was in that area I was not impressed by the condition of the surroundings. if we are talking about the same place, the shooting range is very close and the area is littered with trash and bullet casings. Trail building should be addressed once the area is cleaned up from the shooting range. I was amazed at how much trash was in the area.

Living the High Life
    did you ever approach the riders and talk about the situation or is hiding behind a desk, spilling out your opinions on a public forum the way you do things...
    Yeah, maybe they just don't know any better.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast