WWJR

ATTN: Front Range 29ers/ "gears'

I知 building up my Tallboy LTc, and I知 wondering if anyone can chime in on their 29er 2x10 gear setups. I致e read a crapload of threads, and realize there are multiple factors behind what gears one chooses for Colorado/Moab riding. (Strength of legs, riding terrain, etc.)
    I知 coming from a Chumba XCL 22/32/44 setup where I pulled the 44T and replaced it with a bash. 22/32/bash.
    I知 wondering what gearing you 29ers run for our terrain. Chimney, White Ranch, Walker Ranch, Heil, Halls, Falcon, etc type of trails. Even extended runs like Kenosha -->GA Pass, etc...
    On the 26er, I felt pretty comfortable with the 22/32/bash setup. But on a 29er, will the jump from a 22/34 or a 22-36T really make a huge difference? All considering the 11-36 cassette...
    I would love to hear what some are riding out here. Thanks in advance, and sorry if I missed a post that has laready gone over this.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I have a 24x32 up front with an 11x36 on my Shinobi. The 36 seems like it would be sufficient, but I'm actually thinking about using a 22 granny up front--I could use a little more on some of the really steep pitches. For what it's worth, I run a 32x21 on my SS so I'm not totally granny dependent. However, when I want a granny, I WANT a granny.

Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hullendersauce View Post
    I知 building up my Tallboy LTc, and I知 wondering if anyone can chime in on their 29er 2x10 gear setups. I致e read a crapload of threads, and realize there are multiple factors behind what gears one chooses for Colorado/Moab riding. (Strength of legs, riding terrain, etc.)
    I知 coming from a Chumba XCL 22/32/44 setup where I pulled the 44T and replaced it with a bash. 22/32/bash.
    I知 wondering what gearing you 29ers run for our terrain. Chimney, White Ranch, Walker Ranch, Heil, Halls, Falcon, etc type of trails. Even extended runs like Kenosha -->GA Pass, etc...
    On the 26er, I felt pretty comfortable with the 22/32/bash setup. But on a 29er, will the jump from a 22/34 or a 22-36T really make a huge difference? All considering the 11-36 cassette...
    I would love to hear what some are riding out here. Thanks in advance, and sorry if I missed a post that has laready gone over this.
    I don't understand your question but keep in mind that your gears get larger just by increasing the size of the wheel.

Rigid in Evergreen
    I run a 26x39 w/ the 11-36 cassette on my Air9 and it works great for me... the 26x36 is plenty low, the spacing between the 26 and 39 is great (and easy to shift up or down) and the 39x11 top end is more than adequate.

You could always do an X0 2x10 crank and you'd have the option to go 22/36, 24/38 or 26/39.

mtbr member
    May 2011

humbug

26x39 with 11/36 cogs

Plenty for anything in the front range- rarely walk. Maybe a bit too tall for Humbug hill, but can get most of little french if dry. Stand tall and hammer.

btw, I suck going up-hill

I occasionally which for some more top-end gears when hammering long downhills, but it's very rare

Buff creek is done in the big-ring

It's a completely serviceable range.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by ecoomer View Post
    26x39 with 11/36 cogs
    Depends on the weight of the bike. I was fine with that range on a 21 pound Highball. On a 31 pound AM bike, not so much...

Team Velveeta

the trouble with triples

... coming from a Chumba XCL 22/32/44 setup where I pulled the 44T and replaced it with a bash. 22/32/bash... On the 26er, I felt pretty comfortable with the 22/32/bash setup. But on a 29er, will the jump from a 22/34 or a 22-36T really make a huge difference? All considering the 11-36 cassette...
    Like RobertHurst said, I'm not sure this makes a great deal of sense.

The change in while size is taking you to a higher gear range automatically. If you felt comfortable with a 22-32-bash on a 26" wheeled bike, assuming you had a 11-34 cassette, you'd be going with roughly similar gearing on your 29 if you left the rings the same and went to an 11-36 in back. Going to bigger rings will just make your lowest gear even higher. So, yeah, you're going to have a 36t rear sprocket, but if you have anything bigger up front than a 22 as your smallest ring you're lowest gear is going to be higher (harder) than what you have on your old bike. Make sense?

I personally don't really get it with a two ring setup. I likes my triples. I don't throw away my big ring and put on a bash guard. My big ring is a bash guard. You start with a nice fresh 44, bang the fscker on rocks a couple times. Go home and file away the mangled teeth, and go on about your business. My big ring is missing several teeth. And it works just fine as a chainring. Which I like, because sometimes I like to be able to use a big ring.

And I like a 22 granny. Sometimes I wouldn't mind a 20, but I certainly don't want to live with a friggin' 26 or something like that! If I want to mash on climb, I am quite free to use my 32 middle. Or if I really want to suffer I can try to push a 44 ring uphill. Sometimes I do that. But if I'm tired or not in a hurry, having a 22 is just real, real nice.

I find that I do not mind hauling around an entire extra chain ring. Each of the three proves to be useful. And when I manage to bash my big ring, I enjoy very much the lovely crunching sound it makes. Straighten it out with either a rock or a pair of channel locks (which ever is more handy) then file away the excess when you can get your hands on a flat b@stard.

My setup right now on my 29 is that I have one wheel that I leave a 12-36 and a big fat Eskar tire. That's my beat-about and just-for-fun rear wheel. Then I have wheel with an 11-34 and a faster-rolling tire for the days when I'm going to be riding far and/or pretending to be fast.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I知 wondering what gearing you 29ers run for our terrain.
    I ended up going with a 22/34 setup with the 11/36 on my Niner Jet9 RDO. In the 34/11, I can hit 27+ mph without any smoke coming from my knees. I like having the super low gearing for really steep stuff or if I'm just totally blown up at the end of a long ride.

Kind of depends on a couple of things too....
    1. Are you a masher that likes to push a big gear at 65 rpm or a spinner? I am definitely a spinner
    2. How much do you weigh? I've got some scrawny little road bike friends that can push bigger gears than I can, so for them something like a 26/40 up front makes more sense than it does for me.

I just don't find myself needing to push 30mph on my mountain bike that often, but I do find myself grinding out steep climbs at 4 - 5 mph at times. FWIW, when I ride Hall or Heil I never see the granny gear on the climb, but I'm glad its there.

WWJR
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
    I ended up going with a 22/34 setup with the 11/36 on my Niner Jet9 RDO. In the 34/11, I can hit 27+ mph without any smoke coming from my knees. I like having the super low gearing for really steep stuff or if I'm just totally blown up at the end of a long ride.

Kind of depends on a couple of things too....
    1. Are you a masher that likes to push a big gear at 65 rpm or a spinner? I am definitely a spinner
    2. How much do you weigh? I've got some scrawny little road bike friends that can push bigger gears than I can, so for them something like a 26/40 up front makes more sense than it does for me.

I just don't find myself needing to push 30mph on my mountain bike that often, but I do find myself grinding out steep climbs at 4 - 5 mph at times. FWIW, when I ride Hall or Heil I never see the granny gear on the climb, but I'm glad its there.

hey, thanks so much for all of the helpful responses!!
    I never got a chance to demo the 29er im buying, which is my first. So, relying on my bike experience on a 26, the advice of my friends and MTBR, and the great LBS I work with, i am slowly dialing in this setup.
    At 185-190Lbs, Im by no means a smasher on the trail. But riding all of the different terrain i choose (Kenosha to GA Pass, Buff Creek, Heil, Hall, Walker, White Ranch, etc), i wanted to make sure my gearing was set up close to perfect from the begining.
    i think a 22/34; 11-36 rear will be a great choice for me! Thks again!

Beer Me!
    Another vote for the 22/34, 11-36. This will give you enough leeway to tackle most climbs, but doesn't top out very often.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

The 5th knuckle
    I say go simple - 33 x 11-36.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm running 26-39 on my Satori and will switch out for a smaller low ring shortly.