skillz to pay billz

New question here. Aspen - hook a brother up!

headin' up to Aspen for a early thanksgiving jaunt with the inlaws. the weather looks perfect for some good hard riding. Sunny and highs in the 50s

I've done the government trail and saw some write ups for the rim trail. There must be more to Aspen than that.

Wondering if there anything else I should put on the list as a must do. I like the intermediate to advanced XC with climbs and some technical DH. i live at 8300' so most altitude issues are not a factor. Hook me up. Thanks!

----

after riding I'll probably hobnob with the rich and famous and buy some overpriced statues(no, not sculpture) of maybe some Dickensonia scenes. I'm mainly looking for young children floating away by way of an umbrella cast in bronze. Oh wait, I'm not going to be in beaver creek.

mtbr member
    There are two great rides in Aspen: Government and Smuggler mountain.If you must ride something other than Government try a Smuggler mountain, sunny side/ shady side and hunter creek loop. Smugler is a grunt but from the top you have acess to hunter creek and sunny side/ shady side. Smuggler mountain has about 15 switchbacks and is visible on the northeast of town. At the top of smuggler there is an overlook and a trail across the way on the left. From the doubletrac bear right at an old mine site to singletrac. After the singletrac ends at an intersection in a beautiful valley go left, down hunter creek. There are two options first: the first singletrac on the right brings you to doubletrac. The second is the second right;(easier climb) doubletrac, that will bring you to the intersection of sunnyside. Follow Sunnyside (left) around the mountain. At the next intersection take a right; back behind the mountain. This will bring you back to the top of the Hunter creek downhill back to aspen. Also try the government from Buttermilk to Snowmass and back again. More pain and more fun. This all depends on the snowfall conditions.

skillz to pay billz
    hey thanks, sounds interesting, and I'll be staying on the NE side of town so convenient as well.

Who said Punisher?

Ride Thomas Lakes

Kickass ride--you can add mileage by heading right at the trail junction as you come down from Mt Sopris. Hard uphill--technical rocky baby heads wear at you but the ride down is super fun and fast on a weekday. Spits you out to a wonderful alpine lake and youc an walk to the second lake (wilderness) but in just a few minutes.

mtbr member

you're gonna be up there too?

we should ride.

i inquired over in the western slope forum (to no avail).

so any of youse guyz know the current conditions? or rather, what might be in store for sunday? weather looks decent, but wondering 'bout the trails... ah yes, that smuggler ride sounds like it must be the one i found by accident last time i was up there-- very fun.

anyone been up there this week-- snow? mud?

what's the best shop in town?

skillz to pay billz
    hey Terry, You're married to my wifes sister? no way? I looked at the webcam in aspen and there seems to be a lot of green and dirt(got) showing so I think we're good. maybe we should ride up government this time to earn the downhill? Or this thomas lakes sound good(thanks VA)?

mtbr member
    I spent Labor Day weekend in Snowmass. I had planned to do some riding in Aspen proper, but we never actually got there save driving through on the way home.

In addition to Government, there's a whole buncha riding around Snowmass that was really fun. Snowmass Rim (which you mentioned) was really cool, as was the Tom Blake trail and other ones that go around the edges of the ski hill.

Taking a road ride (gasp!) up to the Maroon Bells is pretty cool, too. A much better experience than taking the bus, IME.

I did a write-up of our trip here (some dead pic links -- oops) in case you're interested:
    http://feldybikes.blogspot.com/2007/10/mega-picture-snowmass-report.html

skillz to pay billz
    wow, carbondale mesa(can't remember the real name of the area, mushroom rock?) action was awesome. inquired at the LBS in aspen and they hooked us up. pretty much something for everyone on this system of trails. Rollers on roller coaster, rocky climbs ala hall ranch, Rim drop-off style traverses, desert mesa buff single track, bike parts shrine. all with views of the roaring fork and mt sopris. Totally unexpected and grins ear to ear. Gotdirt and I had some good times, hopefully with images to follow.

aspen proper was all but shut down with snow or mud on hunter creek and government closed for elk migration and snow on snowmass. but carbondale, dang worth a look see or a leg stretch on your way to fruita/moab.

thanks for all the sugestions!
    Last edited by nOOby; 11-03-2007 at 07:56 AM.

skillz to pay billz
    Terry, did you get out and ride anything else? I'm still thinking about the epic-ness of that place.

killin it
    Jun 2005

nice find

wow, glad to know where the only goods are in town!!!

to all the dirt from basalt to aspen is a giant mudfest; but c-dale is rad filled with gnar.
    stay off the wet trail.
    thanks
    off the front range but FC folife

Really I am that slow

make sure

you hit woody creek after riding !

for a pint or four
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/