Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

No good Arrogant Winterpark - Beginner DH with a 'filter feature'

Just spend a day at Winterpark after riding a season in Keystone and a weekend in SolVista. My observations, conclusions and opinion...

Winterpark sucks - but they seem to make up for it with arrogance.

1) SolVista and Keystone have way better service and much more friendly staff. Consider: SolVista and Keystone you get smiles from the staff at the lift. Winterpark let's you put your bikes on to the lift all by yourself - no help, just figure it out yourself. Staff looks at you as a tourist (purse) or an intruder (no I got to work - or what). Keystone and SolVista you get a warm greeting after every run. They chat, smile etc. They even go out of their way to help. Example: SolVista provides cooled water (without having a fountain at the lift - they improvise). In Keystone I saw the trail maintenance fix-up a rider with a free tube.

2) The DH in Winterpark now has a 'filter feature'. Bwahahaha! The filter feature is a ladder drop. Not much - just about 20 inch now. But it is the highest drop in the whole run!!! Why does this really annoy me? Well, I used to send beginners to Winterpark. But a beginner will not dare to do the 'filter feature'. And the rest of that DH does simply not justify this feature.

To make it worse; The staff at the lift proudly let me know that they already made the feature smaller. Supposedly it was more like 40 inches originally. And they get cranky if somebody walks the feature. I've seen it. Hoots and cat calls. I couldn't believe it.

Let me end on a positive note. Rumor has it Winterpark is closed for the season.

Klaus

PS: New features do not justify the $25 they charge. Wallride is fun for 3 rides. The skills park has the huge crankworxs stuff and nitty pity small obstacles now starting to be popular in city parks (come to the Fort if you don't believe it).

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Now if only people would stop going to Winter Park in the winter...

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    I thought they were going to put those 4 bike trays on the lift lines this summer?

There has been a lot of talk from WP about stepping it up, next year is supposed to be the year...I hope they do it. 3 good bike parks in striking range will do great things for the gravity scene.

No new trails beyond those in development at Keystone next year, their resources wll be focused at maintaining and improving what they've got, it should be good.

mtbr member
    Got the same vibe from WP. The filter is a joke as the rest of the trail is tame by comparison, at least when you factor in the ride arounds. And you just can't beat the price of SolVista.

Slopestyle Rider
    The reason the filter feature is there is to keep old ladies and old men who have never ridden a trail before off that DH trail... They almost get killed when some dude comes blazing in behind them because they didn't realize it's a high-speed trail.

Stand back
    Wow - pretty harsh. I've always had fun riding at WP, but didn't make it there this season. Not sure you've done a good job conveying what they did to be labeled arrogant though.
    Maybe Sol Vista has spoiled you?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron
    I thought they were going to put those 4 bike trays on the lift lines this summer?
    That is what I heard too. Whistler has the same setup and it is self-service as well, you just roll your bike into the tray.

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by heckler_asx
    That is what I heard too. Whistler has the same setup and it is self-service as well, you just roll your bike into the tray.
    They did... They were on the entire season.

mtbr member
    Arrogant: feeling or showing proud self-importance and contempt or disregard for others

Of course everything is subjective. I felt annoyed:

- by the attitude of the lift crew at the bottom (and yes I am spoiled by Keystone and SolVista). 'Leave me alone - I am sick of this' body language. 'You ought ta know this' type of explanation for the bike lift. Not slowing down the lift even when we had to struggle to get the bikes in.

- by the attitude of the lift crew at the top (and yes, I am spoiled by Keystone). Hooting and hollering at riders is simply not on. Even if that beginner walks the stupid filter feature (with a decent bike and armor). And especially not after the beginner flew down the trail jumping the stuff in plain view from the top. (not much to jump - but that holds true for the whole run).

- by the explanation of the lift crew at the top why they have the filter feature: as a test if one is capable to ride the trail. Oh man - that filter feature would be of a way smaller scale.

- by posting the DH as 'most difficult' and Mountain Goat as 'extreme'

Ok. I stop ranting. They annoyed me mightingly. You got the picture. My apologies to WP in general and all flames on the individuals that served me that day.

mtbr member
    My take on WP as it was always a welcome break from the Big Resorts (Summer and Winter). The last couple of years it is obvious they want to change all of that. No more small mountain resort/town. It is all about the big time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I rode WP on Saturday, and had a great time. The new features were lots of fun, especially the huge new berms everywhere.

Yes, sometimes the lifties had some attitude. They get near minimum wage to stand around and hand-hold rich tourists and bikers, toss bikes around in the rain and cold, knowing they're all gonna lose their job after Sept 3rd. If I saw you done up in full face and armor, struggling to load a bike on the new bike carriers cuz it's just SO HARD, I'd laugh at your ass too.

The 'filter' was a great addition, I watched plenty of XC guys crash on it and change their mind about the DH run. Every rider that decided against the DH is one less rider to slow down for/pass half way down. Wish it was tougher? Gap it from ramp to ramp. Wait, are you mad because you had to walk it?????

WP is great, it's not Keystone, and that's a good thing. No lift lines, $20 ticket, no gapers, no beerfest to wade through, just bike riding.

e-misanthrope
    Now I'm curious - what is this "filter" feature? Any pics? I'm trying to picture a 20" tall drop wreaking havoc, but it's not happening...

"It's just a rabbit..."
    Don't waive your rights with your flags.

Slopestyle Rider
    It's totally rollable if you know how to ride... I included a technical drawing to illustrate what it looks like. Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by lagarto grande
    Now I'm curious - what is this "filter" feature? Any pics? I'm trying to picture a 20" tall drop wreaking havoc, but it's not happening...

"It's just a rabbit..."
    It's nothing special. Just a fairly wide ladder with a two foot drop with a short ladder gap and a ladder tranny.

I thought that was cool as it added an extra feature to the run. No annoyance here. I loved the second wall ride. I loved the berm that was there, and I love the wall ride even better. I also liked the berms the crew was working on on the Long trail. I enjoyed all the floaters, too. I wished there were more drops. I was also bummed that the only drop that could be classified as big (the sissy drop from Crankworx for the kids with no front brake) cuts out a very fun section of trail and is basically a waste of elevation.

My biggest gripe is that when you hit trails like Mountain Goat, you've gotta push your bike up the hill for a long time as there's no cut trail to take you back to the base. That part should be top priority as the trails are cool, but a waste of time as your runs include 30 minutes of walking the bike.

All in all, Winter Park definitely has lots of room for improvement, but I had fun. I'm bummed the DH season is coming to a close at the resorts.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

cheeseburger in paradise
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    It's totally rollable if you know how to ride... I included a technical drawing to illustrate what it looks like. Enjoy.
    nice. you got mad ms paint skills.

Never riden it myself, but 20" doesn't seem to bad.

Slopestyle Rider
    It's actually a super fun feature...

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by norton05
    Wish it was tougher? Gap it from ramp to ramp.
    Like this!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    If I saw you done up in full face and armor, struggling to load a bike on the new bike carriers cuz it's just SO HARD, I'd laugh at your ass too.
    You are a not a nice person if you would seriously do that.

Wait, are you mad because you had to walk it?????
    You bet! That is my real issue And I want everybody here on the forum know that I undid my laces when I stepped down the tranny.

on my 3rd wind...
    I think WP is owned by Whistler mtn...hense the same "do it yourself" bike lift.

I went to WP twice this year and had a pretty good time. I thought the "filter feature" was a great idea to keep the bigginers off the upper DH run. If biggners really want to ride the DH run, they can ride the trail from the halfway point where Cheyenne and Long trail connects.

I did not notice any attitude with lift attendants but who knows, maybe, it was their payday?
    sth

Shread Ready
    Hey guys I'd like to chime in here after spending Sun/Mon @ WP and Sol Vista. I had not ridden any resorts since summer of 05 (Due to MAJOR Snowboard injury in 06). I rode both WP & Key in 05.

I really love how flowy WP's black trail is and the features aren't over the top technical. As far as the staff I thought they were pretty cool and didn't throw any "tudes" my way. I only got 3 runs in both days because the Lightning closed them down by around 3pm. All the people on the trials were cool also. Zero confrontation for me and I meet quite a few cool people as well (The 3 Guys From Boulder) before we hit the stunt bridges/drop.. w00t

I thinks it's progressed a fair amount since 05 (Wall rides and the berms were better) but I hope they add more for the 08 season. As for Sol Vista, it was neat to check out and awsome that it's free! The staff seemed pretty cool and told me a good amount about what to expect for next season. But after a few runs down I was already kinda burnt on the mtn. The Blue was severly lacking any sort of defined turns/burms and still needs quite a bit of work. The easier DBL Black was pretty fun with some very technical rock sections and a few nice Blue Hits (Which I didn't hit). I did hit that nice little road gap at the bottom and that was fun. They had some pretty hard-core riders at Sol and those Gaps on the Hard DBL Black are NO JOKE. I saw one guy dial they big gap under the lift (props).

Either way, WP rocks and Sol Vista should be awesome with another 100K put into their trails for 08! Sure glad I got some resort riding in before the seasons over! It was FUN!

mtbr member
    Funny about the bike lift I had a hard time the first run at Whistler with the same type of rig. I spent about 14 days in Whistler this year and came back with the same feeling about the lift people as you have with WP. The Keystone crew are the nicest people I have run into at a resort for DH yet. I don't think this holds true during the winter. Would be nice if Intrawest would have a little talk with the lift crew.

mtbr member
    I would have to say that the only thing worth riding at WP is Mountain Goat. The downhill is nice because it is "free flowing", or should I say it was free flowing. They do not take care of the trails there at all, there is washboard all the way through most of the banked corners which take the free flowing out of it and makes it a lot slower than it should be. Heck there was washboard over almost all of the cool fast sections, they need to learn what a rake and shovel can do.

Shoulda went faster
    Wait, are you mad because you had to walk it?????
    Here is a pic of Klaus from another thread. Doubt he walked it!

klausupload.jpg

ICORR - FORC
    I spent Sat/Sun at Keystone and WP, have to say I had a blast at both places, albiet for different riding styles. I've hit the Stone several times but never WP. I really hestitated about going to WP after all the bashing it has received here, but am glad I did. Granted they need more trail selections, but I agree with Thrasher that the "Downhill Trail" is super flowy - sweet deep berms with some fun tables, wall rides, boxes, etc. thrown in. The slopestyle area was fun to play in as well. Frankly, it reminded me of a small "Whistler", and I hope it continues to grow along those lines instead of trying to copy the more technical Keystone trails. Nothing against the Stone, it was a blast, but we already have one. Now we need a Colorado Whistler. A fellow can dream, can't he?

Regarding "filters" on trails, I'm all for them to keep less skilled riders off the trail so I can rip without worrying about flying up on a noob. I saw some folks on Walmart bikes and tubesocks look at it and turn away, so I believe this one helps. And seriously - if you can't manage a 20 inch drop, you really shouldn't be cruising down this trail. There's plenty of other trails to ride in the area for these folks, and let those who want to rip, rip.

I had no "attitude" from any of the workers at either place. I thanked each guy for scanning my ticket or unloading my bike, and they all replied with "no worries", "right on", or "have a good ride". My experience has been the attitude received is typically mirrored from what is given.

Bottom line - if you're looking for hardcore or even medium "Colorado" technical trails, you'll probably be disappointed with WP. But if you're looking for fast flowy riding with some small to moderate drops/tables/berms/walls thrown it, WP is definitely worth a day.

Edit: I was just thinking (dangerous pasttime, I know)... Whistler uses similar filter drops as well. I believe the drop to enter A-Line is about 3 feet. There's really nothing on A-Line that couldn't be ridden on a cheap rigid bike, but you'd be a danger to the other riders. The filter is a method to set a minimum skill set that is required. Sure, a clod could make the drop and still be dozy slow and in the way (probably what the BC boys thought of me), but it's definitely better than nothing.
    Last edited by QCRage; 09-04-2007 at 07:55 PM.
    There's car, beer, girls, and bike. Not just the three; you can have four. - Tyler Klassen

mtbr member
    I like WP, I really like putting my bike on the rack and getting my bike off. I have more faith in myself then a employee of a resort. Whistler has the same rack system; if you didn't know.\

Sol Vista is private land, therefor they can build what they want- and they had McCormik design. If you don't know who he is then look him up.

Winter Park has regulations and shiite on big stuff insurance reasons or something, I dont know the formality's behind their stuff. I just like riding bikes there.

Anyway seasons over, so who cares.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast