mtbr member

In and or around Lodo reccomendations?

I have a family member staying just off of E. 18th and Grant St. this week, wondering what resteraunts are top notch in the area to take him to? I haven't pin pointed a type of food, so if you guys know of a great resteraunt, or several, I'd appreciate it. He's not into the bar types; something unique, interesting environment, and quality is more his cup of tea. Something Ehtnic, local (no chains), and authentic. A good mexican place, Indian, etc would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Colo.Josh; 04-28-2008 at 10:32 AM.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Not in LoDo, but Campo de Fiore in Cherry Creek is top notch.

slow
    I like Rodizio Grill and PF Changs. Not completely unique, but good.

skillz to pay billz
    vesta dipping grill was pretty ok

Rolling
    If they can get to Curtis, near the performing arts place, Sams number 3 is a classic joint. A must hit.

http://samsno3.com/menu

If they are their on Friday night, they can join us at the Bluebird (on the lovely Colfax) to see Elbow.

Driving down Colfax at night is a great form of entertainment. There is all sorts of action going on there. everyone is Roman.

The hookers are roman, the drug dealers are roman, the cops are roman ....

...even though there are lots of Greek restaurants there.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Oooh - if he wants top notch quality, have him go to Kevin Taylor's in the Hotel Teatro. Good stuff right there. Very expensive, too... so you may want to warn him.

30 something dad
    16th St. Mall has some great options. Went to Appaloosa's (sp? Think that's what it was called) yesterday and it was very good. It's across and down the street from the Hard Rock Cafe.

Totally made me realize that I need to spend more time in the city. Denver is pretty damn cool.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    There is a great Cuban, place called Cuba Cuba at 12th and Delaware, since moving here from NYC, I think it is one of the best spots in Denver. I will say for decent priced, great steakhouse the Denver Chop House next to Coors Field is great. They also have great tuna. Those are two that are really can't miss spots for sure...Ben

mtbr member
    Does he have a car or is he restricted to downtown?

One of my favorite places in the city is Spicy Basil at Broadway and Ellsworth.

I will second the Sam's recommendation. I always went there for breakfast/lunch.

Lots of cool places on Colfax. Pete's Kitchen or Pete's Satire Lounge (one of the few good Mexican places in Denver) are pretty good.

Thin Man is a bar on 17th around Franklin that is a fun, laid-back place to go eat.

If you want healthy eats, try Watercourse on 17th (and like Washington or Penn.... somewhere around there. ). Its a vegetarian restaurant but I like it, and Im really into eating meat. Might be a good change of pace

Bad Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo.Josh
    he's looking for something Ehtnic, local (no chains), and authentic. A good mexican place,
    La Loma -
    www.lalomarestaurant.com
    2527 W. 26th
    Just west of Speer and I25.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Little India's on 6th Ave right around Broadway/Lincoln.

mtbr member
    Osteria Marco - http://www.osteriamarco.com/
    Cure their own meats and make their own cheeses, in house

Venice - http://www.veniceristorante.com/
    Unbelievable Italian

Avenue Grill - http://www.avenuegrill.com/
    Food from the 4 corners of SF done really well (bay city, North beach, the Wharf, China Town, and Old San Francisco)

AIX - http://www.restaurantaix.com/
    Fine Dining

Some of my favorites!!!

tiny rider
    Is Budapest Cafe on South Perl still open? It's not often you get to eat Hungarian, even in a bigger city; and it's good

I'll second Cuba Cuba as well.

If he's on Colfax for a show at the Bluebird, and has some time, send him for some Ethiopian. I don't know the actual name, but the Rasta-flag colored building just east of University serves up some tasty food for cheap. The ambiance is a bit lacking, though

mtbr member
    Wow... what a list! Thanks to all, I think I'll make a running spreadsheet so that "I" can start checking them off

Has anyone tried the India House? http://www.indiahouse.us/ I went there last year with an Indian family, it was my first time eating Indian food and absolutely loved it! Wondering how it stacks up to others in the area?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    We've been to Cuba! Cuba! a couple times. First time was quite good for everybody... second time was completely underwhelming for everyone in the party. Maybe it was an off night.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo.Josh
    Wow... what a list! Thanks to all, I think I'll make a running spreadsheet so that "I" can start checking them off

Has anyone tried the India House? http://www.indiahouse.us/ I went there last year with an Indian family, it was my first time eating Indian food and absolutely loved it! Wondering how it stacks up to others in the area?
    I've been there for a work dinner. It was pretty good... I personally prefer Little India's.

mtbr member

Brothers Bar

Brothers Bar - 15th and Platte...directly behind (north) of Downtown REI. Closed on Sundays. Nice low-key neighborhood bar/restaurant.

mtbr member
    India House is good but over priced for Indian food. I 2nd Little India's if you want Indian food.