Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56
  1. #1
    little mad riding hood
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    397

    ARGH! weather rant

    so ok, I freely admit I'm a huge puss and don't have a fatbike either but seriously, I am not looking forward to this weekend's weather forecast. I'm supposed to get 3-4 hours in each day according to my training plan and it looks like it's going to be on rollers and/or the trainer because I can't hack this shite.

    the past few weeks has been hell. it won't snow enough for me to go skate ski (conditions at helldora are even worse than usual) and it's going to be super windy on top of highs in the teens this weekend.

    I am sad. I am one of those weak sisters who has a hard time keeping hands and feet warm regardless of what I do, and I've never figured out an adequate glove solution for this crap.

    I'd love to get out and MTB somewhere - I've got exactly 50 miles on my new Niner since November, but I'm thinking it just isn't going to be possible. Please disabuse me of this notion?

    all ideas, fellow rants, kicks in the arse and HTFU solicited.

  2. #2
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,594
    XC ski.

  3. #3
    ..ouch
    Reputation: thump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by lonefrontranger View Post
    so ok, I freely admit I'm a huge puss and don't have a fatbike either but seriously, I am not looking forward to this weekend's weather forecast. I'm supposed to get 3-4 hours in each day according to my training plan and it looks like it's going to be on rollers and/or the trainer because I can't hack this shite.

    the past few weeks has been hell. it won't snow enough for me to go skate ski (conditions at helldora are even worse than usual) and it's going to be super windy on top of highs in the teens this weekend.

    I am sad. I am one of those weak sisters who has a hard time keeping hands and feet warm regardless of what I do, and I've never figured out an adequate glove solution for this crap.

    I'd love to get out and MTB somewhere - I've got exactly 50 miles on my new Niner since November, but I'm thinking it just isn't going to be possible. Please disabuse me of this notion?

    all ideas, fellow rants, kicks in the arse and HTFU solicited.
    Pueblo maybe?

    Gotta head a looong way south to find any warm stuff this year.

    Skip any thoughts of Helldora getting better. Today we got all the wind and cold, but virtually nothing for snow.

    Oh.. and HTFU.
    Last edited by thump; 01-11-2013 at 04:04 PM.

  4. #4
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,618

  5. #5
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,618
    Wait. I have constructive advice - move to Texas.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Indoor trainer. Put on a Trance station on Pandora and pedal your cares away.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  7. #7
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,618
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Indoor trainer. Put on a Trance station on Pandora and pedal your cares away.
    Screw that. Drinking beer would be preferable to that $hit.

  8. #8
    Bad Andy!
    Reputation: GIANTkiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    383
    Hate to agree with Skeert, but he is right.
    SIUP, move, or both.


    I do wish if it was going to be cold, that it would actually SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    edit - this may be a problem too:
    according to my training plan

  9. #9
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,618
    Training plan... schmaining plan. Winter is for skiing and drinking beer.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: danaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    391
    Training plan, must not deviate, will fail come spring....

  11. #11
    ..ouch
    Reputation: thump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Winter is for skiing and drinking beer.
    Actually, that sounds like an excellent training plan.

  12. #12
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,989


    Or head to pueblo for the weekend.

  13. #13
    little mad riding hood
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Wait. I have constructive advice - move to Texas.
    how is that helpful? I moved here from Ohio...

  14. #14
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,618
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    Actually, that sounds like an excellent training plan.
    For anything.

    And as far as training food goes:


  15. #15
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,618
    Quote Originally Posted by lonefrontranger View Post
    how is that helpful? I moved here from Ohio...
    Fvcking Ohioans.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: danaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by lonefrontranger View Post
    how is that helpful? I moved here from Ohio...
    Texas is a right to whine state

  17. #17
    little mad riding hood
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by GIANTkiller View Post

    I do wish if it was going to be cold, that it would actually SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    edit - this may be a problem too:
    plus one million for wishing it would just f'n snow.

    yea I know the whole training plan idea is frowned upon in here, but I can't help that I enjoy racing, and my husband paid for us to get a coach this year.

  18. #18
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,618
    I'd give you free coaching. In fact... I did. See training food picture above.

    As far as enjoying racing - seek professional help.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: danaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by lonefrontranger View Post
    plus one million for wishing it would just f'n snow.

    yea I know the whole training plan idea is frowned upon in here, but I can't help that I enjoy racing, and my husband paid for us to get a coach this year.
    Expensive, highly over rated, not fun, and berated for telling others you have a trainer.

  20. #20
    My cup runneth over
    Reputation: rmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,105
    Lots of options:

    No need for a snow bike - I rode 5 out of the last 6 days on my FS; Fatbike parked. Fat Bike is not necessary to fulfill training goals; ride your regular bike in the snow and feel the burn – fantastic work out. Smaller investment in studded tires would probably work and are better than fat tires in some conditions (ice for example).

    Temps were ~40 every night (early) this last week, should be manageable for the sensitive of toes and finger tips – lots of night riding to be had – Green Mountain/Bear Creek Lake park. Probably need multiple laps of somewhat less interesting trails but you’ll get your mileage and hours in pretty easily. In winter you have to max out when the weather is mild (like this last week) to prepare for the tougher times.

    OK, so temps in the teens Sat and Sun may not be doable for you but when you have maxed out in previous days (planning and drive) hit the gym for back to back spin and body pump classes, finish with fifty laps in the pool and your cross-training boxes will be checked.

    If you don’t already have pogies and winter boots then maybe you haven’t tried hard enough. Here's an interesting thread on the 45nrth winter boots - more than what most FR winter riders need but may be just the ticket for you (you're gonna have spend at least a little if you want to hit the training goals over the winter).

    No offense but winter riding takes a different mentality because riding isn't handed to you right now like it is the rest of the year.

  21. #21
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,618
    Quit being so goddammed helpful.

  22. #22
    old skool newbie
    Reputation: goldenboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    Lots of options....
    Sheesh. Can't you see you're just being helpful with that response.

  23. #23
    old skool newbie
    Reputation: goldenboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Quit being so goddammed helpful.
    Or at least make your advice seem helpful, but then not really
    How-To: Free Pogies!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  24. #24
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Reputation: alphazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,323
    lonefrontranger, oh my goodness. Maybe you should stick to the ladies forum. Put on your superman underwear and go ride. Suck it up and buy some good poogies, that will keep your hands warm, I promise. Buy some really warm winter boots and ditch your clipless pedals for really cold days. If not warm enough put in a couple chemical toe warmers.

    I rode from Laramie to Ft. Collins this week to have some nicer riding weather. 20 degrees with 15 mph wind when I left Laramie in the morning, 55 degrees in Ft. Collins when I stopped at Full Cycle, back down to about 20 degrees just north of Livermore on my way back in the dark.

    Buy a fat bike and some big boy panties.

  25. #25
    little mad riding hood
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    Lots of options:

    No need for a snow bike - I rode 5 out of the last 6 days on my FS; Fatbike parked. Fat Bike is not necessary to fulfill training goals; ride your regular bike in the snow and feel the burn – fantastic work out. Smaller investment in studded tires would probably work and are better than fat tires in some conditions (ice for example).
    good intel, I should be more diligent about taking out the MTB. Work is problematic during the week for night rides but I did get plenty of (road) riding in during the day.

    Temps were ~40 every night (early) this last week, should be manageable for the sensitive of toes and finger tips – lots of night riding to be had – Green Mountain/Bear Creek Lake park. Probably need multiple laps of somewhat less interesting trails but you’ll get your mileage and hours in pretty easily. In winter you have to max out when the weather is mild (like this last week) to prepare for the tougher times.
    yea I need better lights for sure.

    OK, so temps in the teens Sat and Sun may not be doable for you but when you have maxed out in previous days (planning and drive) hit the gym for back to back spin and body pump classes, finish with fifty laps in the pool and your cross-training boxes will be checked.
    no gym membership, no plans to get one. I hate the gym worse than the trainer.

    If you don’t already have pogies and winter boots then maybe you haven’t tried hard enough. Here's an interesting thread on the 45nrth winter boots - more than what most FR winter riders need but may be just the ticket for you (you're gonna have spend at least a little if you want to hit the training goals over the winter).
    ok cool I'll check that out.

    No offense but winter riding takes a different mentality because riding isn't handed to you right now like it is the rest of the year.
    yea I know. I was super good at it in my 20s but now that I'm 45 it's getting hard.

    the rest of you guys in this thread are bringing it old-skool MTBR style just like I like it. I need a good asskicking!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •