mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Argentine Pass Madness (pic heavy)

A month or so ago, I went and hiked Grays and Torreys. When I was looking around the maps afterward, I noticed a few roads that looked like they connected up into a loop. The loop went go over three mountain passes, primarily on 4WD/dirt roads but with some trail and "trails" thrown in.

The first pass was Argentine Pass, the highest vehicle accessible pass in the state. I started on the Argentine Central Grade and then up the road to Waldorf Mine. After a tough hike a bike up the pass road, the trail on the west side was windy, rocky, and very exposed. Occasionally this is barely a trail.

After surviving this part of the ride, I rode down Peru Creek and then to Montezuma and over Webster Pass from the north.

From Webster Pass I went over Burning Bear Trail, which turned into more hike-a-bike as I got more tired and the trail turned up and up. But I got some fun descending before reaching the final road.

The final road was the paved section of Guanella Pass, over the summit and back down into Georgetown. This was a long day on the bike, but a fun adventure. I don't know that I ever need to do this loop again ... but it was great to explore.

More pictures: Argentine Pass 2013-09-21 - a set on Flickr

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You're insane.

NTTAWWT.

Addicted to Dirt
    Very nice!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Great pics!
    Yes, you are insane.

"We're only bike terrorists, 5:30, second Friday, Berkley BART" -Jeff Ott, fifteen

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Great pictures !!
    Wish you well in your recovery.

-Dave

mtbr member
    miles? elevation max and total?

Oh, So Interesting!
    Wow, and yes... insane.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Uh, yes, I felt this one for a bit (still do, in fact)!

I should mention that from Burning Bear back to Silver Plume was ... tough. I didn't eat well enough along the way and the climb up Guanella, while not that many miles and paved, was brutal and long. I should say I'm also not much of a climber by Colorado standards and this beats the most climbing I've done in a single ride by 2k. It's not as many feet gained/mile as some things I've done (Indian Creek race this year, to name one)...

Totals: 58.5 miles, 10,300" of gain. Argentine Pass is 13,200 feet, Webster is 12,100, and Guanella is 11,600. Much of the first half of the ride you're above 10,000 feet the entire time.

My very slow, long day: Argentine Pass Madness by rb06 at Garmin Connect - Details

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by rbsd View Post
    Uh, yes, I felt this one for a bit (still do, in fact)!

I should mention that from Burning Bear back to Silver Plume was ... tough. I didn't eat well enough along the way and the climb up Guanella, while not that many miles and paved, was brutal and long.
    You really should consult us when you hatch crazy $hit like this in your brain. We can offer you warning.

mtbr member
    I've done that ride on dirt-bike. It was a tough day and all I had to do was twist a throttle. Hats off to you. Good work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Wow!

slow
    Nice ride. Wasn't that one of the loops in the old Montezuma's Revenge race?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    You really should consult us when you hatch crazy $hit like this in your brain. We can offer you warning.
    Haha! Thanks ... I might need to do that in the future

The ride did make me wish that Argentine had some better singletrack options because it was such a nice area. That west side trail is sketch. Even if the wind hadn't been gusting strong enough to lift my bike that trail was still so exposed I didn't feel safe riding most of it. And that's not counting the rock face I had to down climb with a bike!

A sample of that trail: