Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 101

Thread: Apex Takedown

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: williamprince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    12

    Apex Takedown

    So last night Iím enjoying a ride up Chimney and down Enchanted Forest/Apex. As I begin the initial downhill descent on Apex (immediately after Sluicebox) I hear brakes locking up behind me and the next thing I know Iím on the ground with blood coming out of my knee. As I get up I realize that the back of my calf is also bloodied after being grazed by my big ring during the takedown. As Iím taking inventory to make sure Iím able to ride out I turn around to see where my bike is and who hit me. The rider was all apologies of course and was wearing full knee/shin pads and came out of the accident without a scratch.

    So whatís the point, well accidents will happen, however, in this case the accident was caused by a rider that was flying down Apex without any regard for anyone that might have the misfortune of being in his way. There are two possible mindsets that caused this accident:

    1) The rider did see me, was in control, and without saying a word was going to try and pass me on the outside because he couldnít be bothered to slow down.
    2) The rider was out of control, came around a blind spot in the trail and plowed into another rider.

    Iím leaning toward the latter, but either case is completely unacceptable and this is exactly the kind of selfish and ignorant riding style that is going to result in high traffic areas like Apex being shut down to bikers. If this collision happens between a biker/influential hiker, weíre going to see more than odd day restrictions on sections of trail at Apex.

    As I made my way back down to the parking lot two rangers were there, I reported the rider and provided a description of him. They were both very concerned and we talked about the Apex shuttler that had been discussed in the past few days here on mtbr as well as other recent incidents that they cited including a deaf man being run off of the trail by a downhiller because he didnít hear the rider approach as well as a pregnant woman that was run off of a trail again by a downhiller who was apparently shredding too much front range gnar to be bothered to slow down. Iíve been mountain biking the front range regularly for over 10 years and 99.9% of the people I encounter on the trail are cool and just happy to be out. But dude, WTF, why are you riding out of control on such a busy trail, youíre lucky I wasnít seriously injured. To the other 99.9% of you, carry on and keep riding like little Fonzies out there. And whats Fonzie like? Heís cool and thatís what weíre gonna be. Weíre gonna be cool.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toHELLuRIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    555
    Where's the popcorn?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bedell99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,170
    At least a 2 pager. This sucks, but at least the rangers know. I have never heard of person being hit from behind. Now that is insane.

    Erik

  4. #4
    Colorado
    Reputation: Drop the Seat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    451
    Damn dude, that sucks.

    I think it's good that you reported that, even if the trail gets shut down to bikes. If you would have let it slide then nothing would ever change. The "higher-ups" will take this info and see that they can't stop mountain biking from happening, thus they will have to have more trails, and even dedicated downhill trails.

    I agree with zzsean though, this stuff can happen anywhere, an on any trail though.
    Last edited by Drop the Seat; 06-23-2010 at 02:32 PM.

  5. #5
    Mojo0115
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,667
    Was he wearing a thug half-lid?

    Seriously, blind spots and high speed encounters as a result happen on all sorts of trails. I have had it happen to me on Porcupine. It's a part of riding on trails that other people ride on.

    should the other guy have been more careful? most definitely, was he sorry and apologetic as a result? it sounds like it. Move on and stop crying is my advice.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,508
    Same risks go for skiing/snowboarding and people have gone to jail/charged with manslaughter, so if you think no one should be held accountable for their actions i got news for you.



    Seriously, blind spots and high speed encounters as a result happen on all sorts of trails. I have had it happen to me on Porcupine. It's a part of riding on trails that other people ride on.

    should the other guy have been more careful? most definitely, was he sorry and apologetic as a result? it sounds like it. Move on and stop crying is my advice.[/QUOTE]

  7. #7
    Mojo0115
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,667
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    Same risks go for skiing/snowboarding and people have gone to jail/charged with manslaughter, so if you think no one should be held accountable for their actions i got news for you.



    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    Seriously, blind spots and high speed encounters as a result happen on all sorts of trails. I have had it happen to me on Porcupine. It's a part of riding on trails that other people ride on.

    should the other guy have been more careful? most definitely, was he sorry and apologetic as a result? it sounds like it. Move on and stop crying is my advice.
    I agree, Lawyers are always the best option.

  8. #8
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by williamprince
    So last night Iím enjoying a ride up Chimney and down Enchanted Forest/Apex. As I begin the initial downhill descent on Apex (immediately after Sluicebox) I hear brakes locking up behind me and the next thing I know Iím on the ground with blood coming out of my knee. As I get up I realize that the back of my calf is also bloodied after being grazed by my big ring during the takedown. As Iím taking inventory to make sure Iím able to ride out I turn around to see where my bike is and who hit me. The rider was all apologies of course and was wearing full knee/shin pads and came out of the accident without a scratch.

    So whatís the point, well accidents will happen, however, in this case the accident was caused by a rider that was flying down Apex without any regard for anyone that might have the misfortune of being in his way. There are two possible mindsets that caused this accident:

    1) The rider did see me, was in control, and without saying a word was going to try and pass me on the outside because he couldnít be bothered to slow down.
    2) The rider was out of control, came around a blind spot in the trail and plowed into another rider.

    Iím leaning toward the latter, but either case is completely unacceptable and this is exactly the kind of selfish and ignorant riding style that is going to result in high traffic areas like Apex being shut down to bikers. If this collision happens between a biker/influential hiker, weíre going to see more than odd day restrictions on sections of trail at Apex.

    As I made my way back down to the parking lot two rangers were there, I reported the rider and provided a description of him. They were both very concerned and we talked about the Apex shuttler that had been discussed in the past few days here on mtbr as well as other recent incidents that they cited including a deaf man being run off of the trail by a downhiller because he didnít hear the rider approach as well as a pregnant woman that was run off of a trail again by a downhiller who was apparently shredding too much front range gnar to be bothered to slow down. Iíve been mountain biking the front range regularly for over 10 years and 99.9% of the people I encounter on the trail are cool and just happy to be out. But dude, WTF, why are you riding out of control on such a busy trail, youíre lucky I wasnít seriously injured. To the other 99.9% of you, carry on and keep riding like little Fonzies out there. And whats Fonzie like? Heís cool and thatís what weíre gonna be. Weíre gonna be cool.
    I remember this from last night. We waited around for the rider, but he/she never came back down. We were thinking he/she might have stopped at the upper lot. You did the right thing by reporting it. I swear there are more biker/biker altercations than other users. It kind of proved my theory last night.

    Both of the Rangers last night ride mountain bikes. They understand the issues.

  9. #9
    Team Inflexible
    Reputation: Jaydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,943
    Another reason why I love the Springs. Way less user conflict.

    Last night I passed two hikers the whole 2hr ride..

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,923
    There's never gonna be a good excuse by someone who came up on another rider at speed and caused them to crash. Never. The guy might have been all apologies but they were coming from a complete idiot. "Hey, sorry man" for them is the same as breathing. F..kn idiots.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,679
    That is one trail I do not like to ride anymore. The good thing is there is one less rider to get mowed down.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,225
    I knew there was a reason I stopped riding Apex.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    155
    I think the best solution would be to simply designate a few bike-only trails and close those to bikes that encourage this type of riding/conflict, ie anyone in need of a shuttle is probably not doing the same type of riding/use conducive to the trails original design intention. It's pretty simple and I dont ride DH.

    I can think of a number of reasonable ways to accomodate everyone. I don't see why JCOS cant figure it out.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hitek79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,299
    What kind of tires was he running?

  15. #15
    My leg feels funny
    Reputation: liqwid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,197
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    What kind of tires was he running?
    too awesome

  16. #16
    Rigid in Evergreen
    Reputation: topmounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,538
    So much for all the changes at Apex... next thing you know they'll try and ban both body armor and tires larger than 2.15.

  17. #17
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter
    So much for all the changes at Apex... next thing you know they'll try and ban both body armor and tires larger than 2.15.
    I think some of you are being a bit too negative. Things are going very well at Apex. There are much fewer complaints and riders are not feeling disenfranchised. Actually, it's quite opposite. Riders are happy that on even days they feel a little more relaxed that they might forget and do the wrong thing.

    If you look back at previous Apex posts, I was very negative about changes. Remember, I felt (and still do to some extent) that any restrictions are bad restrictions. However, given the crowded nature of the trails (especially Apex), The "management plan" is actually working.

    As for biker on biker conflicts, that rests on our shoulders to fix. When there are conflicts within the same user group, the problems lie much deeper and most of the time it is lack of education on etiquette. It's time for us to step up to the plate.

  18. #18
    Your bike is incorrigible
    Reputation: Guyechka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,130
    I'm wishing this would make the news. Intra-species conflict! It'd do the other user groups some good to know that there are just some really lame people on bikes but a lot of others who are following the rules and just as pissed off at these few bad apples.


    BTW: You think there is a description of the guy from the last post down at the police station? I'm trying to picture how the sketch artist captured said piss pot helmet.
    Last edited by Guyechka; 06-24-2010 at 01:29 AM.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    236
    You should tell your Mommy and Daddy. I bet your Dad can take his.

    Just accept an apology and move on. Accidents happen.

  20. #20
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Riders are happy that on even days they feel a little more relaxed that they might forget and do the wrong thing.
    What?!? That has got to be one of the most Orwellian statements I've ever read.

    Arbeit Macht Frei?

    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude
    Another reason why I love the Springs. Way less user conflict.

    Last night I passed two hikers the whole 2hr ride..
    SSSSSHhhhhhhh! Don't encourage people to visit the springs....

    Anyways, crap like that happens here too. I nearly crashed into another biker, or he nearly crashed into me as we both went around a blind curve, downhill into a flat section for both of us. I stopped and he ended up in the bushes. I was going my normal pace, which is crazy slow, he was going slightly faster, but I wouldn't call it out of control. He just needed more than 5 feet to slow down.

  22. #22
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    What?!? That has got to be one of the most Orwellian statements I've ever read.

    Arbeit Macht Frei?

    I think my grammar / sentence formation was a little wrong.

    The comments were that on the even days they don't have to contend with as many hikers and that most of the hikers know to stay off the faster trails. They are also more aware that bikers will greatly outnumber them It's still not an excuse to blow by them, but it does reduce the possibility of a problem.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Dose
    You should tell your Mommy and Daddy. I bet your Dad can take his.

    Just accept an apology and move on. Accidents happen.
    Yes, accidents happen.

    Stupidity, on the other hand, must be actively created. Riding so fast that you can not stop if you come upon [another rider/hiker/animal] is stupid. It's VERY stupid on a trail that you know is busy and has lots of said riders/hikers/animals on it and you still think you're the center of the world.

    It's also stupid to condone and/or justify the stupid behavior by belittling those who are concerned about it.

    What's the difference between rear ending someone on your bike or in your car? Think you'd just move on or would you call the cops, get their insurance info and perhaps even call an attorney?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    236
    The guy was "All Apologies" according to the OP. It is a little judgemental to think I condone or justify the accident. It seems that there are a lot of angry Front Rangers puffing up their chests these days who need to let things go a little.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    156
    You never here the other side to these types of stories, I wonder where they post ?

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    80
    I'm sure the kid learned his lesson if he felt guilty enough to be that apologetic. I'm sure this incident will slow him down a little and make him more cautious. It's the ones that don't give a damn you should worry about.

  27. #27
    hehe ...you said "member"
    Reputation: jake7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,120
    I get the "accidents happen, move on" argument, but being run into from behind? Seems like an odd circumstance to me ... one I've never heard of anyway. Not knowing the specifics, I agree that it's hard to judge ... despite the advantage of internet-Monday-morning-QB-omnipotent-supreme being mojo and all that

    While Apex has received the lion's share of attention, it seems to represent what's happening on all of our over-crowded front range trails - There are too many people enjoying our trails to let common sense and common courtesy be replaced by totalitarian rules and bureaucracy.

    I had the opportunity to take 3 9-year-old's riding at Elk Meadow yesterday (trying to build on our next generation of MTB'ers )
    We started the ride with coach's "2 minute safety talk" (i coach them in basketball too) which focussed mainly on proper yeilding/keep single track single/respect the trail/HAVE FUN. For a Tuesday, we encountered an expected amount of traffic and, on more than one occasion, we had hikers/runners offer to let us go ahead. As we insisted that they proceed and let them know that "I'm training some young mountainbikers in proper trail etiquette", every one of the hikers/runners were extremely friendly and complimentary.
    My point: "Take the high road", "be the better person", "turn the other cheek" ... pick your cliche'...
    there seems to be a large number of threads focussed on trail user conflict and how angry people are getting over it. My thinking is, if you're still carrying that stuff around with you after an otherwise enjoyable ride ... enough so that you feel compelled to post about it to a group of like-minded enthusiasts, you just might be missing the " big picture" of why we choose to ride in the first place ...
    Disclaimer: I'm a pacifist by nature and at 6'7"/250 lbs, I avoid confrontation based on my physical appearance alone
    ďMe fail english? Thats unpossible.Ē - Matt Groening

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,140
    Yep, idiots all over. Great idea to post so we know what is going on. Your chi will be fine even carrying it around inside till posted.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    330
    This could have been prevented. The OP needed to have a bashguard and his leg would have been fine. Obviously you didn't have the right type of bike to ride apex if you had a big ring on your bike and a front derailleur. Get it right next time and you'll come out of the situation with better results.

  30. #30
    Colorado
    Reputation: Drop the Seat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    451
    Anybody else think that some of these single poster usernames starting threads about Chimney Gulch and Apex could be trolls?

    They're probably big gov PR at work....

  31. #31
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat
    Anybody else think that some of these single poster usernames starting threads about Chimney Gulch and Apex could be trolls?

    They're probably big gov PR at work....
    Why would you think that? I was working the NCOs trailer when the op reported the incident. It was him and three of his friends.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steadyflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,096
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    I think my grammar / sentence formation was a little wrong.

    The comments were that on the even days they don't have to contend with as many hikers and that most of the hikers know to stay off the faster trails. They are also more aware that bikers will greatly outnumber them It's still not an excuse to blow by them, but it does reduce the possibility of a problem.
    I agree with this and the new trails aren't even finished yet....I think once the new trails are completed the park is going to have a much better flow to it. Also there will be more options to avoid the main gut of the lower Apex trail which I personally think is pretty beat and too crowded. For me the changes aren't a big deal since I enter Apex from Chimney Gulch and pretty much always climb up Sluicebox anyway. Last night I only saw a handful of people in Apex....pretty nice.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by williamprince
    So last night I’m enjoying a ride up Chimney and down Enchanted Forest/Apex. As I begin the initial downhill descent on Apex (immediately after Sluicebox) I hear brakes locking up behind me and the next thing I know I’m on the ground with blood coming out of my knee. As I get up I realize that the back of my calf is also bloodied after being grazed by my big ring during the takedown. As I’m taking inventory to make sure I’m able to ride out I turn around to see where my bike is and who hit me. The rider was all apologies of course and was wearing full knee/shin pads and came out of the accident without a scratch.

    So what’s the point, well accidents will happen, however, in this case the accident was caused by a rider that was flying down Apex without any regard for anyone that might have the misfortune of being in his way. There are two possible mindsets that caused this accident:

    1) The rider did see me, was in control, and without saying a word was going to try and pass me on the outside because he couldn’t be bothered to slow down.
    2) The rider was out of control, came around a blind spot in the trail and plowed into another rider.

    I’m leaning toward the latter, but either case is completely unacceptable and this is exactly the kind of selfish and ignorant riding style that is going to result in high traffic areas like Apex being shut down to bikers. If this collision happens between a biker/influential hiker, we’re going to see more than odd day restrictions on sections of trail at Apex.

    As I made my way back down to the parking lot two rangers were there, I reported the rider and provided a description of him. They were both very concerned and we talked about the Apex shuttler that had been discussed in the past few days here on mtbr as well as other recent incidents that they cited including a deaf man being run off of the trail by a downhiller because he didn’t hear the rider approach as well as a pregnant woman that was run off of a trail again by a downhiller who was apparently shredding too much front range gnar to be bothered to slow down. I’ve been mountain biking the front range regularly for over 10 years and 99.9% of the people I encounter on the trail are cool and just happy to be out. But dude, WTF, why are you riding out of control on such a busy trail, you’re lucky I wasn’t seriously injured. To the other 99.9% of you, carry on and keep riding like little Fonzies out there. And whats Fonzie like? He’s cool and that’s what we’re gonna be. We’re gonna be cool.

    So it sounds like you just started on the trail, did you look up trail before pushing onto the main trail, or did you just start pedaling out, essentially pulling out in front of the guy?

    He did apologize, and made sure you were okay. Lots of stones getting cast. There are people who simply descend faster than others, that does not make them downhillers/shuttlers/etc. using your favorite "XC" trail. It seems to me that some folks believe XC only includes climbing. Fortunately, that is not the case. In fact, I seem to remember an article by a prominant rider (think Tomac) that stated that a lot of cross country races are actually won on descents by riders that are able to relax more and therefore recover better. The parallel assumption was that most racers can climb abd ride flats at the same pace.

    In any event, accept the apology if it was sincere, if not, you should have confronted the guy there and explained to him your issues.

    I wonder if the guy that saw me go OTB on apex with my seatpost dropped thought (good, that DHer got what he deserved since I was riding a Giant Reign X (A simple Giro hex helmet and no pads (unless you count my camelback which saved my back)...never mind that I climbed up on my bike and simply lowered my seat for a more fun and safe (guess it didn't work) descent. He certainly didn't stop to make sure I was alright even though I was bloody as hell and could hardly walk and he had dismounted to walk the previous section. Probably should of turned him in for lack of concern for his fellow rider, based on some of the threads I see...

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: williamprince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by TCR1
    So it sounds like you just started on the trail, did you look up trail before pushing onto the main trail, or did you just start pedaling out, essentially pulling out in front of the guy?
    I didnt pull out in front of the guy. Me and my riding buddy sat at the Apex/Sluicebox junction and debated whether to go up Sluicebox or down Apex for awhile and had a quick conversation with the mtn bike patrol volunteer that rode up past us. We decided take Apex because that meant we could enjoy a frosty post ride beverage a little sooner and get home before it got too late. Point is, we were actually stopped and knew who was coming up and down the trail behind us...it was wide open when we headed down Apex.

    Anyway, I'm sure he is truly sorry, it would have made me feel horrible to hit someone else regardless of who was at fault. I'm riding next chance I can get, so no (permanent) harm no foul.

  35. #35
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,143
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    I think some of you are being a bit too negative. Things are going very well at Apex. There are much fewer complaints and riders are not feeling disenfranchised. Actually, it's quite opposite. Riders are happy that on even days they feel a little more relaxed that they might forget and do the wrong thing.

    If you look back at previous Apex posts, I was very negative about changes. Remember, I felt (and still do to some extent) that any restrictions are bad restrictions. However, given the crowded nature of the trails (especially Apex), The "management plan" is actually working.

    As for biker on biker conflicts, that rests on our shoulders to fix. When there are conflicts within the same user group, the problems lie much deeper and most of the time it is lack of education on etiquette. It's time for us to step up to the plate.
    I still ride Apex fairly frequently, still have very few conflicts there when I ride. I am always happy to be on my bike, so I'm friendly towards the people I encounter, no matter what user group they belong to that day.

    And I definitely feel disenfranchised.
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  36. #36
    Rigid in Evergreen
    Reputation: topmounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,538
    Any mountain biker that causes a crash should be required to wear the official Orange Dunce Half-lid™ for a period not less than one week.

  37. #37
    Dude...
    Reputation: ebry74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    334
    Sorry to hear you were run over. I sounds like it was an accident and the guy was sorry, but I don't really care to judge. I'm just glad he didn't run over a hiker. We don't really need any bad press...especially at Apex.

    Personally, I realize mountain biking can be dangerous, and choose to accept that accidents can happen. I also understand your frustration, but at the same time think if the guy was truly sorry, and you in fact feel it was an accident, then it probably isn't completely necessary to post that you were run over. This stuff apparently gets people a little worked up. Who know's, maybe I'd be posting if it happened to me?

    I'm already on the lookout for a "punk" rider on Chimney, and now I'm on the lookout for this full geared DHer. I don't really want to see a post next week about how I kung foo'd the wrong guy who fit one of these descriptions because I read a couple of posts the previous week and other posters said I would be a pu$$y if I didn't man up....yadda, yadda, yadda. What to do?

    Anyone want to ride tonight? Thinking maybe the cone after work. The good news it's not really shuttle worthy, the bad news is it is full of blind corners and multidirectional. I've had a few run ins where I wasn't sure if I was the victim, or the perp. Who wants to risk it?

  38. #38
    Dude...
    Reputation: ebry74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter
    Any mountain biker that causes a crash should be required to wear the official Orange Dunce Half-lidô for a period not less than one week.
    Agreed! Wait, so who caused the crash? I want to hear the other guys story.

    Would someone just admit you crashed with this guy and tell your side. The mob is turning a bit, so now is your chance.

  39. #39
    Tossin the salad.
    Reputation: TX_Shifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    733
    time for rear-view mirrors

  40. #40
    killin clear creek
    Reputation: backcountryislife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by ebry74
    I'm already on the lookout for a "punk" rider on Chimney, and now I'm on the lookout for this full geared DHer.
    umm... to be fair, all the guy mentioned was shin pads, he mentioned no body armor, full face, or even the usual menacing look, definitely not a full on DH rider.

    Plus, real DH riders wouldn't apologize for running over the weak!
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

  41. #41
    Rigid in Evergreen
    Reputation: topmounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryislife
    umm... to be fair, all the guy mentioned was shin pads, he mentioned no body armor, full face, or even the usual menacing look, definitely not a full on DH rider.

    He was probably just riding home after soccer practice

  42. #42
    Dude...
    Reputation: ebry74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryislife
    umm... to be fair, all the guy mentioned was shin pads, he mentioned no body armor, full face, or even the usual menacing look, definitely not a full on DH rider.

    Plus, real DH riders wouldn't apologize for running over the weak!
    I just assumed since the guy was wearing shin guards going too fast and out of control and having just run this guy over he must be a DHer. I didn't realize someone was going to be fair.

  43. #43
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryislife
    Plus, real DH riders wouldn't apologize for running over the weak!
    And apologizing shows weakness. Definitely not DH. The guy was probably one of those pansy "all mountain" riders you keep hearing about.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    604
    Plus, real DH riders wouldn't apologize for running over the weak!=COMEDY GOLD
    EricN
    The flood of fixed gear bikes, small t-shirts, and womens jeans will saturate craigslist

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: enduroslrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    119

    Ditto

    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    I still ride Apex fairly frequently, still have very few conflicts there when I ride. I am always happy to be on my bike, so I'm friendly towards the people I encounter, no matter what user group they belong to that day.

    And I definitely feel disenfranchised.
    Ditto.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: enduroslrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    119
    That really sucks. Often times, you just can't fix stupid. You, me, JCOS, COMBA, IMBA and everyone else can try - and can have some success and influence on many, many people - but sometimes it just can't be done.

    I would have had to do all in my power not to kick this guy's a$$ and leave him for the mountain lions. Great job being civil. Props on your controlling yourself and not giving mountainbikers an even worse reputation. Karma will come back on this tool.

    Violence is not the answer - but sometimes it just feels good.

  47. #47
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,847
    Quote Originally Posted by williamprince
    So last night Iím enjoying a ride up Chimney and down Enchanted Forest/Apex. As I begin the initial downhill descent on Apex (immediately after Sluicebox) I hear brakes locking up behind me and the next thing I know Iím on the ground with blood coming out of my knee. As I get up I realize that the back of my calf is also bloodied after being grazed by my big ring during the takedown. As Iím taking inventory to make sure Iím able to ride out I turn around to see where my bike is and who hit me. The rider was all apologies of course and was wearing full knee/shin pads and came out of the accident without a scratch.
    Yep, Jeffco is completely ignorant with the fact that they will create MORE conflicts by squeezing our access.

    Sorry about he accident.
    Golden Bike Park Group

    Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by enduroslrider
    That really sucks. Often times, you just can't fix stupid. You, me, JCOS, COMBA, IMBA and everyone else can try - and can have some success and influence on many, many people - but sometimes it just can't be done.

    I would have had to do all in my power not to kick this guy's a$$ and leave him for the mountain lions. Great job being civil. Props on your controlling yourself and not giving mountainbikers an even worse reputation. Karma will come back on this tool.

    Violence is not the answer - but sometimes it just feels good.
    Yeah, I'm usually really quick to kick a guys butt after he offers numerous sincere apologes myself.

    It was an accident. Apologies were offered and I read that no serious injuries occurred.
    Some real ambiguity in this thread. OP came on wound up because he had an accident with another biker, says he felt the apologies were sincere, but still sought out a ranger to turn the guy in for something (riding his bike faster than maybe he should of...great, now they will impose speed limits and start ticketing), then says "Anyway, I'm sure he is truly sorry, it would have made me feel horrible to hit someone else regardless of who was at fault. I'm riding next chance I can get, so no (permanent) harm no foul."

    Now there are people wanting to beat every other descending rider up because they don't like the level of protection they choose to wear.

    If we want to see the risk to losing the trail systems we have...the mirror looks like a great place to start. I have been away from the bicycle scene for a while, but it definately hasn't progressed in this respect.

  49. #49
    killin clear creek
    Reputation: backcountryislife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    And apologizing shows weakness. Definitely not DH. The guy was probably one of those pansy "all mountain" riders you keep hearing about.
    I'm pretty sure that was him!!!

    I saw one of those all mountain guys wearing shin pads once... I'm gonna kick his ass next time I see him.


    Man, lots of internet ass kicking going on in the last couple weeks... the front range is a violent place!! Thank goodness I live in peaceful Dumont, hopefully I'm safe up here cause I'll be tossing on some shin guards this afternoon & I'd hate to get clotheslined or fishhooked for my choices in fashion!!
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

  50. #50
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryislife
    I'm pretty sure that was him!!!

    I saw one of those all mountain guys wearing shin pads once... I'm gonna kick his ass next time I see him.


    Man, lots of internet ass kicking going on in the last couple weeks... the front range is a violent place!! Thank goodness I live in peaceful Dumont, hopefully I'm safe up here cause I'll be tossing on some shin guards this afternoon & I'd hate to get clotheslined or fishhooked for my choices in fashion!!
    You live in Dumont and you're worried about a bunch of bikers? I'm surprised you're not hardened all the way up just getting out of the trailer park each morning!

    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •