Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Apex Takedown

mtbr member

Apex Takedown

So last night Iím enjoying a ride up Chimney and down Enchanted Forest/Apex. As I begin the initial downhill descent on Apex (immediately after Sluicebox) I hear brakes locking up behind me and the next thing I know Iím on the ground with blood coming out of my knee. As I get up I realize that the back of my calf is also bloodied after being grazed by my big ring during the takedown. As Iím taking inventory to make sure Iím able to ride out I turn around to see where my bike is and who hit me. The rider was all apologies of course and was wearing full knee/shin pads and came out of the accident without a scratch.

So whatís the point, well accidents will happen, however, in this case the accident was caused by a rider that was flying down Apex without any regard for anyone that might have the misfortune of being in his way. There are two possible mindsets that caused this accident:

1) The rider did see me, was in control, and without saying a word was going to try and pass me on the outside because he couldnít be bothered to slow down.
    2) The rider was out of control, came around a blind spot in the trail and plowed into another rider.

Iím leaning toward the latter, but either case is completely unacceptable and this is exactly the kind of selfish and ignorant riding style that is going to result in high traffic areas like Apex being shut down to bikers. If this collision happens between a biker/influential hiker, weíre going to see more than odd day restrictions on sections of trail at Apex.

As I made my way back down to the parking lot two rangers were there, I reported the rider and provided a description of him. They were both very concerned and we talked about the Apex shuttler that had been discussed in the past few days here on mtbr as well as other recent incidents that they cited including a deaf man being run off of the trail by a downhiller because he didnít hear the rider approach as well as a pregnant woman that was run off of a trail again by a downhiller who was apparently shredding too much front range gnar to be bothered to slow down. Iíve been mountain biking the front range regularly for over 10 years and 99.9% of the people I encounter on the trail are cool and just happy to be out. But dude, WTF, why are you riding out of control on such a busy trail, youíre lucky I wasnít seriously injured. To the other 99.9% of you, carry on and keep riding like little Fonzies out there. And whats Fonzie like? Heís cool and thatís what weíre gonna be. Weíre gonna be cool.

mtbr member
    Where's the popcorn?
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

mtbr member
    At least a 2 pager. This sucks, but at least the rangers know. I have never heard of person being hit from behind. Now that is insane.

Erik

Colorado
    Damn dude, that sucks.

I think it's good that you reported that, even if the trail gets shut down to bikes. If you would have let it slide then nothing would ever change. The "higher-ups" will take this info and see that they can't stop mountain biking from happening, thus they will have to have more trails, and even dedicated downhill trails.

I agree with zzsean though, this stuff can happen anywhere, an on any trail though.
    Last edited by Drop the Seat; 06-23-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Was he wearing a thug half-lid?

Seriously, blind spots and high speed encounters as a result happen on all sorts of trails. I have had it happen to me on Porcupine. It's a part of riding on trails that other people ride on.

should the other guy have been more careful? most definitely, was he sorry and apologetic as a result? it sounds like it. Move on and stop crying is my advice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Same risks go for skiing/snowboarding and people have gone to jail/charged with manslaughter, so if you think no one should be held accountable for their actions i got news for you.

Seriously, blind spots and high speed encounters as a result happen on all sorts of trails. I have had it happen to me on Porcupine. It's a part of riding on trails that other people ride on.

should the other guy have been more careful? most definitely, was he sorry and apologetic as a result? it sounds like it. Move on and stop crying is my advice.[/QUOTE]

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    Same risks go for skiing/snowboarding and people have gone to jail/charged with manslaughter, so if you think no one should be held accountable for their actions i got news for you.

Quote Originally Posted by zzsean

should the other guy have been more careful? most definitely, was he sorry and apologetic as a result? it sounds like it. Move on and stop crying is my advice.
    I agree, Lawyers are always the best option.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by williamprince
    So last night Iím enjoying a ride up Chimney and down Enchanted Forest/Apex. As I begin the initial downhill descent on Apex (immediately after Sluicebox) I hear brakes locking up behind me and the next thing I know Iím on the ground with blood coming out of my knee. As I get up I realize that the back of my calf is also bloodied after being grazed by my big ring during the takedown. As Iím taking inventory to make sure Iím able to ride out I turn around to see where my bike is and who hit me. The rider was all apologies of course and was wearing full knee/shin pads and came out of the accident without a scratch.

So whatís the point, well accidents will happen, however, in this case the accident was caused by a rider that was flying down Apex without any regard for anyone that might have the misfortune of being in his way. There are two possible mindsets that caused this accident:

1) The rider did see me, was in control, and without saying a word was going to try and pass me on the outside because he couldnít be bothered to slow down.
    2) The rider was out of control, came around a blind spot in the trail and plowed into another rider.

Iím leaning toward the latter, but either case is completely unacceptable and this is exactly the kind of selfish and ignorant riding style that is going to result in high traffic areas like Apex being shut down to bikers. If this collision happens between a biker/influential hiker, weíre going to see more than odd day restrictions on sections of trail at Apex.

As I made my way back down to the parking lot two rangers were there, I reported the rider and provided a description of him. They were both very concerned and we talked about the Apex shuttler that had been discussed in the past few days here on mtbr as well as other recent incidents that they cited including a deaf man being run off of the trail by a downhiller because he didnít hear the rider approach as well as a pregnant woman that was run off of a trail again by a downhiller who was apparently shredding too much front range gnar to be bothered to slow down. Iíve been mountain biking the front range regularly for over 10 years and 99.9% of the people I encounter on the trail are cool and just happy to be out. But dude, WTF, why are you riding out of control on such a busy trail, youíre lucky I wasnít seriously injured. To the other 99.9% of you, carry on and keep riding like little Fonzies out there. And whats Fonzie like? Heís cool and thatís what weíre gonna be. Weíre gonna be cool.
    I remember this from last night. We waited around for the rider, but he/she never came back down. We were thinking he/she might have stopped at the upper lot. You did the right thing by reporting it. I swear there are more biker/biker altercations than other users. It kind of proved my theory last night.

Both of the Rangers last night ride mountain bikes. They understand the issues.

Team Inflexible
    Another reason why I love the Springs. Way less user conflict.

Last night I passed two hikers the whole 2hr ride..

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    There's never gonna be a good excuse by someone who came up on another rider at speed and caused them to crash. Never. The guy might have been all apologies but they were coming from a complete idiot. "Hey, sorry man" for them is the same as breathing. F..kn idiots.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That is one trail I do not like to ride anymore. The good thing is there is one less rider to get mowed down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I knew there was a reason I stopped riding Apex.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I think the best solution would be to simply designate a few bike-only trails and close those to bikes that encourage this type of riding/conflict, ie anyone in need of a shuttle is probably not doing the same type of riding/use conducive to the trails original design intention. It's pretty simple and I dont ride DH.

I can think of a number of reasonable ways to accomodate everyone. I don't see why JCOS cant figure it out.

mtbr member
    What kind of tires was he running?

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    What kind of tires was he running?
    too awesome

Rigid in Evergreen
    So much for all the changes at Apex... next thing you know they'll try and ban both body armor and tires larger than 2.15.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter
    So much for all the changes at Apex... next thing you know they'll try and ban both body armor and tires larger than 2.15.
    I think some of you are being a bit too negative. Things are going very well at Apex. There are much fewer complaints and riders are not feeling disenfranchised. Actually, it's quite opposite. Riders are happy that on even days they feel a little more relaxed that they might forget and do the wrong thing.

If you look back at previous Apex posts, I was very negative about changes. Remember, I felt (and still do to some extent) that any restrictions are bad restrictions. However, given the crowded nature of the trails (especially Apex), The "management plan" is actually working.

As for biker on biker conflicts, that rests on our shoulders to fix. When there are conflicts within the same user group, the problems lie much deeper and most of the time it is lack of education on etiquette. It's time for us to step up to the plate.

Your bike is incorrigible
    I'm wishing this would make the news. Intra-species conflict! It'd do the other user groups some good to know that there are just some really lame people on bikes but a lot of others who are following the rules and just as pissed off at these few bad apples.

BTW: You think there is a description of the guy from the last post down at the police station? I'm trying to picture how the sketch artist captured said piss pot helmet.
    Last edited by Guyechka; 06-24-2010 at 01:29 AM.

mtbr member
    You should tell your Mommy and Daddy. I bet your Dad can take his.

Just accept an apology and move on. Accidents happen.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Riders are happy that on even days they feel a little more relaxed that they might forget and do the wrong thing.
    What?!? That has got to be one of the most Orwellian statements I've ever read.

Arbeit Macht Frei?

A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude
    Another reason why I love the Springs. Way less user conflict.

Last night I passed two hikers the whole 2hr ride..
    SSSSSHhhhhhhh! Don't encourage people to visit the springs....

Anyways, crap like that happens here too. I nearly crashed into another biker, or he nearly crashed into me as we both went around a blind curve, downhill into a flat section for both of us. I stopped and he ended up in the bushes. I was going my normal pace, which is crazy slow, he was going slightly faster, but I wouldn't call it out of control. He just needed more than 5 feet to slow down.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    What?!? That has got to be one of the most Orwellian statements I've ever read.

Arbeit Macht Frei?

I think my grammar / sentence formation was a little wrong.

The comments were that on the even days they don't have to contend with as many hikers and that most of the hikers know to stay off the faster trails. They are also more aware that bikers will greatly outnumber them It's still not an excuse to blow by them, but it does reduce the possibility of a problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dose
    You should tell your Mommy and Daddy. I bet your Dad can take his.

Just accept an apology and move on. Accidents happen.
    Yes, accidents happen.

Stupidity, on the other hand, must be actively created. Riding so fast that you can not stop if you come upon [another rider/hiker/animal] is stupid. It's VERY stupid on a trail that you know is busy and has lots of said riders/hikers/animals on it and you still think you're the center of the world.

It's also stupid to condone and/or justify the stupid behavior by belittling those who are concerned about it.

What's the difference between rear ending someone on your bike or in your car? Think you'd just move on or would you call the cops, get their insurance info and perhaps even call an attorney?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    The guy was "All Apologies" according to the OP. It is a little judgemental to think I condone or justify the accident. It seems that there are a lot of angry Front Rangers puffing up their chests these days who need to let things go a little.

Ride Buck Hill Ski Area
    Jul 2005
    You never here the other side to these types of stories, I wonder where they post ?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast