Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    65

    Apex owes me 4 tubes

    Hey guys, I've gotten four flats in the last three days up at Apex. Granted it is a nasty trail with jagged rocks but my 2.35 Nevegals just aren't doing the trick. Yes the tubes are installed correctly but I keep getting puncture wounds every single ride. Do I need a taller tire? Meaning more rubber. My Nevegals are pretty beefy tires but something isn't working. Any help would be great for a larger sized all-mountain tire that isn't super heavy.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,165
    Quote Originally Posted by iloveroadies
    Hey guys, I've gotten four flats in the last three days up at Apex. Granted it is a nasty trail with jagged rocks but my 2.35 Nevegals just aren't doing the trick. Yes the tubes are installed correctly but I keep getting puncture wounds every single ride. Do I need a taller tire? Meaning more rubber. My Nevegals are pretty beefy tires but something isn't working. Any help would be great for a larger sized all-mountain tire that isn't super heavy.

    Thanks!
    Hmmm...figure nevegals would be enough...maybe if you kept it on the trail? Seriously, if it's puncture stuff you're having issues with, consider slimes or tubeless setups (homebrew being better than Stan's from what I hear).
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

  3. #3
    Shattering Glass
    Reputation: dash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    707
    I heard rangers were throwing out those tire flattening strips.be careful

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CBiDrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    130
    Are you sure tey are punctures and not pinches? You might try running a little more tire pressure and stay away from lightweight tubes. I run Specialized Pro Adrenelines 2.1 and 2.0 at 40psi and have never flatted up there and I run it like a DH course (when no one is around).
    SingletrackMind

  5. #5
    Now with 20% more fat!!
    Reputation: JSD303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,026
    I'm running a set of 2.35 non-ust Nevegals tubeless with Stans on the Yeti and keep the pressure around 35psi without any problems. I also put Stans in my tubes for the rigid SS 29er (Rampages) and haven't flatted those since - also around 35psi. I have to agree it sounds like you are either needing more psi in the tubes, or perhaps time to get slimed tubes (or slime your own).

  6. #6
    pin 'er up
    Reputation: miSSionary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,580
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    I'm running a set of 2.35 non-ust Nevegals tubeless with Stans on the Yeti and keep the pressure around 35psi without any problems. I also put Stans in my tubes for the rigid SS 29er (Rampages) and haven't flatted those since - also around 35psi. I have to agree it sounds like you are either needing more psi in the tubes, or perhaps time to get slimed tubes (or slime your own).
    JSD303 I've been running the rampages as well and mine are usually around 20psi (wouldn't suggest the 20 psi for all though) and the tire has been amazing for the front range. The tire seems pretty light as well but have never weighed them or even looked up what they weigh. Good luck!
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

  7. #7
    Now with 20% more fat!!
    Reputation: JSD303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    JSD303 I've been running the rampages as well and mine are usually around 20psi (wouldn't suggest the 20 psi for all though) and the tire has been amazing for the front range. The tire seems pretty light as well but have never weighed them or even looked up what they weigh. Good luck!
    Ahhh yes, for those of you that weigh 100 pounds with gear, 20 psi is fine... lol

    I love the Rampage. I've tried the Weirwolf (LT 2.55) and loved their volume, but hated their grip on loose over hardpack (spinning tires on climbs)... The Rampage hooks up like the Nevegal, but rolls faster! I've tried them at lower pressures (accidentally after a slow leak) and heard the bead giving on a hard turn - now I keep them around 35. Little bit harsher ride, but I'm less scared on turns. lol

  8. #8
    pin 'er up
    Reputation: miSSionary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,580
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    Ahhh yes, for those of you that weigh 100 pounds with gear, 20 psi is fine... lol

    I love the Rampage. I've tried the Weirwolf (LT 2.55) and loved their volume, but hated their grip on loose over hardpack (spinning tires on climbs)... The Rampage hooks up like the Nevegal, but rolls faster! I've tried them at lower pressures (accidentally after a slow leak) and heard the bead giving on a hard turn - now I keep them around 35. Little bit harsher ride, but I'm less scared on turns. lol
    Let's call it 105lbs...oh lordie I'm a midget!!

    Yes, I had the same prob with the weirwolf, lovin' the rampages though.
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

  9. #9
    Big Boned
    Reputation: Manmountain Dense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,535
    How old are your tires? They could be trying to send you a message...

    I run Rampages converted with Stan's on both my bikes (Nomad and Karate Monkey 29) and I have only gotten one flat with them, I hit something big and sharp enough to put a hole through the tire that Stan's couldn't seal. I keep them around 40 PSI because, well, I'm fat. I used to flat just about every ride with tubes, almost always pinch flats. Since I went tubeless, virtually no problems.

    Otherwise, I love the Rampages, they do drift but they're fairly predictable and I can lean hard into turns with confidence.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by dash
    I heard rangers were throwing out those tire flattening strips.be careful
    You're kidding right?

    where to begin with what's wrong with this...

    the word of the day is LIABILITY

    the first rider that crashes due to a flat from a device like that would have the JEFCO county up shi%t creek. Do you really think the county is so dumb to take such an action?

    Apex has had crowd issues for years. If someone is putting something down to mess with bikers, it's hikers.

    However, the rangers do come out and ticket riders.

    it's best to avoid that trail on the weekend, plenty of other places to ride without the crowds.

  11. #11
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,119
    Pinch flats not only come from low pressure but also from sloppy technique. Float the bike over sharp rocks and edges, don't jam into them.

    Those who ride Crosier must know of the notorious rock, hidden in grass, near the end that if you don't bunny hop it (or at least unweight the bike), you are guaranteed to get a pinch flat. Every time I ride it, at least half the group forgets.

  12. #12
    Shattering Glass
    Reputation: dash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by dfleck
    You're kidding right?

    where to begin with what's wrong with this...

    the word of the day is LIABILITY

    the first rider that crashes due to a flat from a device like that would have the JEFCO county up shi%t creek. Do you really think the county is so dumb to take such an action?

    Apex has had crowd issues for years. If someone is putting something down to mess with bikers, it's hikers.

    However, the rangers do come out and ticket riders.

    it's best to avoid that trail on the weekend, plenty of other places to ride without the crowds.

    It's just a joke

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: silverstreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by dfleck
    You're kidding right?

    where to begin with what's wrong with this...

    the word of the day is LIABILITY

    the first rider that crashes due to a flat from a device like that would have the JEFCO county up shi%t creek. Do you really think the county is so dumb to take such an action?

    Apex has had crowd issues for years. If someone is putting something down to mess with bikers, it's hikers.

    However, the rangers do come out and ticket riders.

    it's best to avoid that trail on the weekend, plenty of other places to ride without the crowds.

    Wow, hijack attempt of the week.

  14. #14
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe maņana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,131
    Quote Originally Posted by iloveroadies
    Hey guys, I've gotten four flats in the last three days up at Apex. Granted it is a nasty trail with jagged rocks but my 2.35 Nevegals just aren't doing the trick. Yes the tubes are installed correctly but I keep getting puncture wounds every single ride. Do I need a taller tire? Meaning more rubber. My Nevegals are pretty beefy tires but something isn't working. Any help would be great for a larger sized all-mountain tire that isn't super heavy.

    Thanks!
    Nevegals have paper thin sidewalls. You have to run fairly high pressure in them not to pinch flat.

    _MK
    .
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

  15. #15
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,119
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstreak
    Wow, hijack attempt of the week.
    Cool, so lets just make this the weekly Apex dh vs hiker vs xc flame fest.

  16. #16
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,837
    When I first saw this thread, I thought "I wonder if he's running Kenda Nevegals".... Yep.

    Get rid of the nevegals. Get 2.35 Minions (maxxis), you'll have a hard time getting pinch flats with those.

  17. #17
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,837
    BTW, I would say that Kenda owes you tubes. I've not had flats on Apex since I threw my Kendas in the trash.

  18. #18
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,119
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure

    Get rid of the nevegals. Get 2.35 Minions (maxxis), you'll have a hard time getting pinch flats with those.

    But to add, there are those thin-wall xc minions out now. I'm guessing they flat too.

    Funny though, I rarely had pinch flats on my kendas. I did run them 35 psi plus though.

  19. #19
    Big Boned
    Reputation: Manmountain Dense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,535
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Get 2.35 Minions (maxxis), you'll have a hard time getting pinch flats with those.
    Wow, you really like those? I had them and hated them. The front is super squirrelly, and the sidewalls are way thin, and they're not even close to a true 2.35, closer to a 2.2, the casing is so skinny. I punctured the sidewall on my rear tire during a race and Stan's didn't seal it, and I had to put in a tube. 10 minutes later, that tube pinch flatted and I wound up having to run 3 miles to finish the race.

    Overall, a very bad experience with the new 2.35 Minions. However, I also had the old "Slow Reezay" 2.35 Minions with dual-ply casing and wire beads and loved them. And I hear the 2.5 Minions are far better, particularly as a front tire.

    To each his own, I guess.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FrontRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,426
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    I'm running a set of 2.35 non-ust Nevegals tubeless with Stans on the Yeti and keep the pressure around 35psi without any problems. I also put Stans in my tubes for the rigid SS 29er (Rampages) and haven't flatted those since - also around 35psi. I have to agree it sounds like you are either needing more psi in the tubes, or perhaps time to get slimed tubes (or slime your own).

    Of course you aren't going to pinch flat when you walk all the hard sections.....

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    410
    Ok I will throw this into the ring. I had a problem like this a few years ago on my first mtb. If you think they are puncture wounds (i.e. hole only in 1 side of tube not both (pinch)) check to make sure your rim strip is still good. What happened to me is that I had a small hole in my rim strip that when ridden over in the right spot would cause the spoke nipple hole to poke a hole in my tube. Pissed me off because I discovered it during a race.

    Oh and try pumping up the tires a little. When I ran 2.35 nevegals I had to run 45 psi or so to keep them from flatting. Relax they will still get traction, it is a good tire, just has thin sidewalls, IMO. Or get 2.35 minions, highrollers, etc. Anything 2.35 maxxis pretty much.
    2011 Sponsors: Rocky Mountain Racing, Golden Bike Shop, WTB

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,620
    Got on some 2.3 Hutch Baracuda USTs w/ Stans at 40/45 lbs frt/rr. Plenty of traction in the rocks.
    Who makes Rampage?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by dfleck
    You're kidding right?

    where to begin with what's wrong with this...

    the word of the day is LIABILITY

    the first rider that crashes due to a flat from a device like that would have the JEFCO county up shi%t creek. Do you really think the county is so dumb to take such an action?

    Apex has had crowd issues for years. If someone is putting something down to mess with bikers, it's hikers.

    However, the rangers do come out and ticket riders.

    it's best to avoid that trail on the weekend, plenty of other places to ride without the crowds.
    Did you know that gullible is not in the Webster dictionary?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    65
    I heard those Baracuda's were pretty good. It's weird, I didn't get a flat tonight on my Mutano Raptor 2.4 (which are no where near 2.4) tires on my rigid singlespeed which seems to bang into rocks even harder. But I do ride En. Forest like a mad man on my trail bike

  25. #25
    Now with 20% more fat!!
    Reputation: JSD303's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontRanger
    Of course you aren't going to pinch flat when you walk all the hard sections.....
    Wow... you guys actually RIDE Apex? I just push my bikes up and then back down it... I'm a glorified hiker with expensive walking sticks! Can we start *****ing soon about all those "Vaders" shuttling Apex now?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •