Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Apex infested with elk today

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Fat Elvis 
#1 ·
Holy crap! There were a lot of them today, and some of the bulls are starting to get horny.:winker: I was riding down the switchbacks on the backside of grubstake when I first became aware of them. I heard this loud noise that sounded like a freaking elephant coming from across the gulch. There was one bull down below the gigantic house over there that was making a lot of noise. When I got past the switchbacks and into the clearing, I could see that there were a lot of elk over on the opposite side of the gulch. There were also a bunch a little ways up on the trail.

#3 ·
No, I'm sure they were DH's !!

EricTheRed said:
Damn freeride elk. Go where ever they want and make a rukus. ;)
someone had to do it.
I've was almost trammpled alive by a huge herd, thundering down a hiking trail, as fast as they could run in the Flat Tops, a few years back. :p

But it does seem a little early for the big herds to be that low. I've also seen a few pic's of the aspen turning above Georgetown. Fall's here :thumbsup:

#8 ·
bpatterson6 said:
When will they learn trail edicate? They are setting a bad example for the mountain bike community, but I guess you shouldn't label a whole group because of a few bad apples...:D :eek: :thumbsup:
It is really the leader of the herd who is responsible. In Elk culture, they all follow the orders of their leader without question. So I would guess that there is alot of members in the group who complain to each other about how their leader is disrespectful of basic trail etiquette.

So if someone from IMBA could convince the herd leader to abandon his authoritarian ways in favor of democracy, then maybe things could start changing. But this needs to happen fast, or else the elk could be permanently banned from front range trails!!!

#9 ·
Well, the elk seemed to have calmed down a bit tonight. All the one's I saw tonight were just north of the grubstake loop, and were off the trail. The cow's were making a lot of noise, though, and I think that's what caused me to crash off the trail. I think they're getting a bit horny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.