Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Apex, DH, Full Face: The top 10 ways to reduce trail conflict.

I’m tired of the irresponsible Downhiller thread(s). I don’t know the guys that ran you off the trail. I try my best not to give the sport a bad name, I cannot control everyone else.

Our population is growing, Mountain Biking is growing, bike technology is advancing. We have more clueless beginners, rogue shuttle kids, leashless dogs, strollers, and Mountain Lions competing for the same miles of trails than ever before.

We have more DH/FR capable bikes in the Front Range every year, but few appropriate places to use them once the lifts close.

I'll admit there are user conflicts on some trails. I tried clotheslining DHers on Apex, but almost lost my arm. Here are a few ideas I came up with, some serious, some not, some funny (I thought), some bad.

21) Bike shops required to discuss trail etiquette with new bike purchase.
    20) Provide trails more appropriate for Downhillers, drawing problem users away from problem areas.
    19) Rangers "educate" more on trails.
    18) Provide directional trails, to reduce all user interactions.
    17) Require all shuttlers to stop and offer water and cookies to all uphill travelers.
    16) Bike companies required to put trail etiquette rules on bikes.
    15) Unite with horse people... Shuttle bikes up, horses down.
    14) Everyone builds there own private trail.
    13) I.Q. test required to ride all trails (dumb shuttle kids can hit the resorts, but you have to be pretty smart to ride with the...)
    12) Horse, bike and feet people redistribute existing trails in a one time draft.
    11) Taxes. Charge XC riders 10 cents and DH riders 10 dollars.
    10) Taxes. Require users to put a percentage of ride time into trail maintenance.
    9) Taxes. Give the shuttle kids what they want, charge them for it, and buy the horse or feet people their own land with the money.
    8) Segregate users. If hikers are the only ones complaining , ban them!
    7) Sell our bikes, invest for children’s college fund.
    6) Make Downhilling a crime. From this day bikes with more than 3 inches of travel (front + rear), full face helmets, bashguards, and gloves are illegal to posses or sell.
    5) Riders will be required to take a yearly skills and fitness test. This decides when and if you can ride a trail.
    4) Start running people off trail on purpose. Build “kickers” or new trails anywhere that looks cool. Be as EXTREME as possible until the other citizens have no choice but to give us our own private bike paradise.
    3) Require a license to ride a MTB, Rangers can put mobile photo radar equipment at hot spots, and monitor shuttle activity.
    2) Kill all horses, use bones to make bridges or “kickers”, offer horse burgers to feet people as peace offering, learn to coexist again (until feet people piss us off too).

And the number 1 way to reduce trail conflict…

1) Give up bikes and MTBR for “Casual Encounters” and Craigslist.

Sure I had some bad ideas (most), but at least I got farther than insulting people on the internet. All serious and not so serious “solutions” welcomed.

Rolling
    I'm not tired of the threads....thanks for making yet another one.

Shattering Glass
    # 13 will just never work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I'm not tired of the threads....thanks for making yet another one.
    LOL, Guess I'm not either.

Hey moderator, someone made fun of me for starting a thread, please make it stop...

..ouch
    I refuse to participate in another one of these.. oh, wait... crap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dash
    # 13 will just never work.
    But when they implemented a minimum I.Q. to get your "parenting" license it saved the world. Oh wait, I see what you're saying.

skillz to pay billz
    let's hear it for winter!

Stiff yet compliant
    I tried "casual encounters" on Craigslist once.
    Now I have a rash and pusy discharge that won't go away. You should smell my saddle!
    I will post a picture later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    let's hear it for winter!
    The sad thing is that the trails are still rideable except in the high country. Imagine the potential of the bickering if we have another winter like the last one...

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    .... pusy discharge...
    Hey man, you can't use that kind of language on here...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Stiff yet compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Hey man, you can't use that kind of language on here...
    There's only one S dood.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkMaster
    11) Taxes. Charge XC riders 10 cents and DH riders 10 dollars.
    Neat, this means that XC riders get charged $10.10, because the WILL go downhill

10) Taxes. Require users to put a percentage of ride time into trail maintenance.
    I live in Jefferson County, I pay taxes toward the open space I use. Perhaps we should charge Boulder county 20 dollars per use, and all other counties 10 dollars. Sounds fair to me.

6) Make Downhilling a crime. From this day bikes with more than 3 inches of travel (front + rear), full face helmets, bashguards, and gloves are illegal to posses or sell.
    Sounds like you want to get rid of all people but yourself. Great idea, I'll do the same! But if we see you turning your bike DH, you'll be shot on location!

5) Riders will be required to take a yearly skills and fitness test. This decides when and if you can ride a trail.
    great idea. You have to posses Good DH, FR, Trail, and Trials skillz. sound like you may not pass

3) Require a license to ride a MTB, Rangers can put mobile photo radar equipment at hot spots, and monitor shuttle activity.
    ...and remember, driving TO the trail head is shuttling too. You're all busted!

2) Kill all horses, use bones to make bridges or “kickers”, offer horse burgers to feet people as peace offering, learn to coexist again (until feet people piss us off too).
    Horses are good for glue.

Love the trolling flame!

mtbr member
    Thank you Dave! I agree with some.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    yet another thread bashing dh riders...so uncool... why can't we all just get along enjoying the awesome sport we have in common?

mtbr member
    yet another thread bashing dh riders...so uncool... why can't we all just get along enjoying the awesome sport we have in common?
    Don't really think he is bashing. Reading it first before commenting might help.

Your bike is incorrigible
    It was my understanding that Jeffco in partnership with some other group (COMBA?) was going to build some new trails, some of which would be DH specific. Was I dreaming this, or was somebody pulling my leg? Look, at this point, I think it's safe to say, "Give up on Apex. Ride somewhere else." The DHers aren't going away anytime soon, and they sure as hell aren't going to give up Apex.

mtbr member
    "Give up on Apex. Ride somewhere else." The DHers aren't going away anytime soon, and they sure as hell aren't going to give up Apex.
    How about NO. What gives you the right to it? I've was riding it years ago when everyone there went up hill and shuttling was considered a lame idea. Try this, ride safely, respect others, and maybe we can all use it.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerwah
    How about NO. What gives you the right to it? I've was riding it years ago when everyone there went up hill and shuttling was considered a lame idea. Try this, ride safely, respect others, and maybe we can all use it.
    How about I don't ride Apex ever. You're welcome to it. Just don't come here to b*tch about all the DHers afterwards.

Thunder Chunky
    I personally like #4 I think we should just unite(xc and dh) and then we can have our own space and we can each build our own trails just for our type of riding...#8 is pretty good too seeing as that once we get rid of all the hikers for complaining we can get rid of all the xc'rs too cause u never hear dh people complaining on here...Problem with #1 is that all the chicks are fat and have more std's than Paris Hilton...

[SIZE="1"]WARNING: I can not be held responsible for anything said in this post... [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    How about I don't ride Apex ever.
    Good. Maybe you should stick to the Cherry Creek trail. I'll b*tch until we fix the problem. Or I guess I could be weak willed like you and give up. Does riding the couch give you a good workout?

Inflexable...
    Someone needs to lay off the caffeine...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

Quote Originally Posted by tigerwah
    Good. Maybe you should stick to the Cherry Creek trail. I'll b*tch until we fix the problem. Or I guess I could be weak willed like you and give up. Does riding the couch give you a good workout?
    No, but riding the rainbow trail does. At least I don't ride the same damned trail over and over and over and over and over for a bazillion years and feel like I have some claim to it. Ever heard of diversifying? You are incredibly myopic. Or is it that, after twenty years, you've finally mastered Apex and can now ride it without walking? Yes, I think that must be it. You must feel so very proud of yourself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stiff yet compliant
    That little kid really gets around.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    That little kid really gets around.
    Wow, I feel like an ass, but I'm laughing at that picture. So, if arguing is the same, do we get a crappy trophy and candy at the end, even for the really really retarded people? That's something everyone, XCDHFRSSCS, can enjoy!

mtbr member
    Or is it that, after twenty years, you've finally mastered Apex and can now ride it without walking? Yes, I think that must be it. You must feel so very proud of yourself.
    I wish. And I would be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast