mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Anyone up to shuttle Pike's Peak/Barr Trail?

I'm traveling through Colorado Springs from Oregon with an old Subaru that will make it, although not super fast. I'd be willing to pay gas if a person was just up to drive up and drop me off at the top.

Ted

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    when

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Any day in the near future works for me. Even this afternoon. But if that doesn't work I'll arrange any time of any day this coming week.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    FYI Gas isn't the only expense to get to the top.

http://www.springsgov.com/Page.aspx?NavID=75

May 1 to November 30

Adults (16 and over): $12 per person

Children (6-15): $ 5 per child

Carload Rate (up to 5 people): $40 per car

Additional Adults: $ 8 per person
    Additional Children: $ 2 per child

We accept Visa and Mastercard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Forgot to mention that I also know this as I checked out the top trail head by the cog railway and did have to pay the entrance fee...thx for the help. I also tried to hook up with the local shuttle service, but they offer a full service (breakfast, bikes, and guides) shuttle for quite a bit of $$$. I am sure it is well worth it, but just not interested. Plus I have my own gear and quite a bigger bike that i wanna use for this ride. I just got in from riding the lifts at Deer Valley and wanna keep the stoke alive! Come'on ya'll! Let's do a morning shuttle on the 4th to start the day's fun. Also, we can show the texas tourists how the locals (you) roll...

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdobbs187
    Forgot to mention that I also know this as I checked out the top trail head by the cog railway and did have to pay the entrance fee...thx for the help. I also tried to hook up with the local shuttle service, but they offer a full service (breakfast, bikes, and guides) shuttle for quite a bit of $$$. I am sure it is well worth it, but just not interested. Plus I have my own gear and quite a bigger bike that i wanna use for this ride. I just got in from riding the lifts at Deer Valley and wanna keep the stoke alive! Come'on ya'll! Let's do a morning shuttle on the 4th to start the day's fun. Also, we can show the texas tourists how the locals (you) roll...

Just a word of caution. Barr is primarily a hiker trail. Bombing it on a LT downhill bike is not a good idea and will not make you many friends on the way down.

IMHO You would have a much better time shuttling to Frosty's and riding Pipeline/Jones/7 Bridges with the motos and other DHer's... That's the place to go for DH. Plus it's closer, and free.

http://www.singletracks.com/bike-tra...ine-trail.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I agree Barr isnt the best choice, I ran up there yesterday and on the way down there were plenty of folks heading up for a night or two of camping, plus runners, hikers, dogs, etc.

Jones Park down would be a better thrill ride.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Shuttling in appropriate places is fine. IMO, the Barr trail is not an appropriate place.

Thread Terrorist
    So what's the difference of riding up Barr and riding back down? Is shuttling a stereotype of non-mannored DHers that won't stop for anything. Perhaps. But what of those that don't go fast and truly enjoy the scenery? It not like Barr is off limits to riders. That said, I've shuttled Barr in 1990, when forks didn't exist. It was fun, but I did stop a lot for hikers.

The locals are right, there are better trails to shuttle in the area if the stereotype holds true.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Chronic 1st-timer
    Apex is only an hour north.

(y'all knew it was coming)
    22 Going on 23

i have chain issues
    Do it. I'd love to come, but have to work this week. It's a great ride down, VERY fun, and 99% continuous down. Go later in the afternoon, though- hikers are usually done by 2 or so because of thunderstorms, so you'll have the trail mainly to yourself. More people below the Barr camp who are making the hike a two-day trip. I've done it without seeing hardly anybody- on a weekend- by leaving relatively late.

And you might as well bring the big bike, although a 6 and 6 or so also works great. SUPER fun. But I think the entrance prices are actually 15 a person, if memory serves.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

jones

Well, I found a partner and ended up shuttling Jones Downhill with trail 666 extension. I have to hand it to however put this trail network together! The technical parts were nice and challenging, but the pump sections were just absolutely in the right place to get some speed going. Loved every minute of it I was a bit confused as to why I got so winded so soon on the uphill parts, until I realized that I was above 9000 feet. I live at sea-level and this rarified air is something to get used to. Thx again for the recommendation! Off to Santa Fe to find some more!