Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone ride Coulson or Lion Gultch?

851 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  yogidave 
#1 ·
I'm relatively new to the Boulder/Longmont area and am looking forward to riding Coulson Gultch and Lion Gultch in a week or two. I've hiked both, and can't wait to ride them....

For Coulson, I know you can make a loop by going up Johnny Park Road ~2.5 miles to the North Sheep Mountain trip, but I've heard it's really hard to find the trail. I think once you find it, it should be about an 8 mile, 2+ hr loop finishing with a climb up the Coulson Gultch Trial. Does anyone have info about this loop? I've seen the Redstone Cyclery write-up, but I'm looking for advice on the trail.

Anyone have any suggestions about trails to follow in the meadow at the top of Lion Gultch?

Thanks.

Dave.

#2 ·
yogidave said:
I'm relatively new to the Boulder/Longmont area and am looking forward to riding Coulson Gultch and Lion Gultch in a week or two. I've hiked both, and can't wait to ride them....

For Coulson, I know you can make a loop by going up Johnny Park Road ~2.5 miles to the North Sheep Mountain trip, but I've heard it's really hard to find the trail. I think once you find it, it should be about an 8 mile, 2+ hr loop finishing with a climb up the Coulson Gultch Trial. Does anyone have info about this loop? I've seen the Redstone Cyclery write-up, but I'm looking for advice on the trail.

Anyone have any suggestions about trails to follow in the meadow at the top of Lion Gultch?

Thanks.

Dave.
Dave at Redstone is the man to talk to with questions about trails up there. He knows both areas super well - he's shown me all I know about either.

I know where the trail for Sheep Mountain starts on the road, but its hard to explain where its at. It may be best to ride it the other way once, or just head up there, start poking around with the intention of getting lost if need be.

Lion's Gulch: Check out the homesteads. Especially the few back to the right once you get to the meadow. I know you can punch through all the way to Estes, but I couldn't find it without a guide and a map.

#3 · (Edited)
For Coulson, honestly, you get a longer ride entirely on singletrack if you do it as an out and back. Like Debaser says, the turnoff at the top is sometimes hard to find (and not marked). About 40% of the folks I send up there seem to find it. Here's the short version. Keep left at the second set of mud bogs and go around the barbed wire (interior) fence. Drop your saddle. N Sheep is extremely steep. Conditions are very dry right now so the trail is super duper loose scree. Your time estimate is pretty accurate. Mileage is low, but expect a 2ish hour ride. Climbing out of Coulson can feel pretty steep.

Lion Gulch is great, too. Once you top out of the Gulch, going to the stuff on the left is more out and back type, while you can make a nice loop on the more north/northeastern homesteads to your right.

Here's some shots you may find of interest:
Lion Gulch - scroll down to the post called "Backcountry Time Travelling"
http://redstonecyclery.blogspot.com/2006_07_01_redstonecyclery_archive.html

N Sheep/Coulson - scroll down to the post called Lazy Sunday:
http://www.redstonecyclery.blogspot.com/

I'm going to be out of town for a week or so (going ridin' in MT) but would be more than happy to show you either or both when I get back. Feel free to shoot me an email at dave@redstonecyclery.com

#4 ·
Debaser said:
It may be best to ride it the other way once.
I tried this about 2 weeks ago. What a great calf workout pushing my bike up the steeeeeeeeeep incline!!! :madman: Otherwise, its a fun and beautiful ride.

Watch out for the motorized vehicles.

#6 ·
Soulbiker said:
Hey Yogi,

I'm thinking about trying to get out there perhaps sat. or sun. (Coulson's that is). Give me a Shout if ya wanna go.
Man! No can do this weekend... got some family in town (read non-mtbers)... but soon. I definitely want to do it soon and company would be great! Ya know, in case I need to have my body located and dragged out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.