mtbr member
    May 2007

Anyone ridden above the Air Force Academy (Stanley or Monument Cr)?

Just wondering if anyone has done either of the descents from Rampart into the AFA? Stanley Canyon or W. Monument Cr? I'm going up to do the Rampart Res loop and am looking for a different fun option back done. Thanks for any info.

Candlestick Maker
    There is some good riding up there and good potential for getting lost. The pikes peak atlas is (sort of) your friend...
    baker

mtbr member
    I've been told there's about a 2 mile stretch of the Stanley Canyon trail that is unrideable. Just be careful!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

I'm with stupid
    stanley cayon does have some pretty good hike a bike sections.

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by kjbike
    Just wondering if anyone has done either of the descents from Rampart into the AFA? Stanley Canyon or W. Monument Cr? I'm going up to do the Rampart Res loop and am looking for a different fun option back done. Thanks for any info.
    +2 on the PP Atlas

Stanley would probably not be much fun once you get to the hike a bike IMO. Can't recall the trail number, but the trail off of stanley rim and down to the water treatment plant is pretty good. It dumps you on to a steep dirt road for the last little bit. The map will reveal some other options that will get you down to Baptist road.
    Last edited by Loudpawlz; 08-18-2010 at 06:19 AM.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    I've tried several routes out of the FS parking lot on the west side near the Falcon Trail and have been unsuccessful so far. It's pretty much all hike-a-bike and then you end up in a creek bed with cliffs on either side and no way out. I'm not using a map though, just exploring. I'm sure there is a way? I'm probably missing a turn somewhere.

Team Inflexible
    I have been having fun exploring up there.

Deadmans gulch is a good way to get up. You can access from Baptist Rd. Kip you may be they only person I know that could ride most of that.

July 4th I started at Deadmans gulch took it to Rampart Res then headed across Hy 24 to the ring the peak system. It was good times.

+3 on the PP atlas

J

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the info everyone.

I'll be pedaling up Ramp Range Rd after doing Intemann from my place this morning. I'm meeting my g/f up there for a couple laps around the res and am just trying to find another fun descent. I know a great way back down to Manitou where you do just a bit going back on the dirt road but all the down is on singletrack. Sounds like the descent of Stanley won't work, but maybe W Monument Cr trail? We'll see when we finish how much time I have to explore, might stick w/ the good downhill I know.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Is deadmans gulch singletrack?

Team Inflexible
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Is deadmans gulch singletrack?

It is for the most part. Some parts are wide kinda like ATV trail. Also its a bit gravely.

Candlestick Maker
    Here is a good link-up above the Academy:

MHR -> Log Machine -> Schubarth -> Deadman's -> SFT

edited: not sure about access status of the exit on this ride...
    Last edited by baker; 08-18-2010 at 09:45 AM.
    baker

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hey Baker

I live right off Baptist/Gleneagle drive, is the access off Tapadero public land. I have seen signs at the end of Hay Creek that say no access National Forrest land. This looks like it would be a fun ride.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot
    Hey Baker

I live right off Baptist/Gleneagle drive, is the access off Tapadero public land. I have seen signs at the end of Hay Creek that say no access National Forrest land. This looks like it would be a fun ride.
    To be honest, I am unsure about the access status there...spose I shouldn't link the details without knowing the access status.
    baker

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Is it easy to spot if I ride from my house and follow your GPS map? Is there a sign or just a trail?

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    To be honest, I am unsure about the access status there...spose I shouldn't link the details without knowing the access status.
    The County has a trail through Forest Lakes subdivision to the NF. Not sure if it's open yet.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail
    The County has a trail through Forest Lakes subdivision to the NF. Not sure if it's open yet.
    Interesting. That subdivision seems to be moving at a glacial pace. Not sure what's up with it or any potential trail. I never knew the County owned property over there, but sure enough:

http://adm2.elpasoco.com/Planning/Tr...s/Tri-Twin.asp

"The Twin-Valley Sub-Area is located in the southwestern corner of the Tri-Lakes Planning Area. It is bounded on the west by the Pike National Forest; on the south by the Air Force Academy; on the east by the railroad line owned by Union Pacific, by Woodcarver Road and Old Denver Road; and on the north by the Pine Hills subdivision as well as some undeveloped open land. El Paso County owns one 160-acre parcel of land at the extreme western end of the Sub-Area and adjoining the Pike National Forest on three sides."

That could provide a potentially sustainable exit from the area above USAFA, especially the north end.
    baker

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Interesting. That subdivision seems to be moving at a glacial pace. Not sure what's up with it or any potential trail. I never knew the County owned property over there, but sure enough:

http://adm2.elpasoco.com/Planning/Tr...s/Tri-Twin.asp
    That could provide a potentially sustainable exit from the area above USAFA, especially the north end.
    It's a trail easement. The County doesn't own it. NES is the planning agency. I know the route is there, and the approvals through the mouse habitat were given years ago.

I also worked hard to make the connection to the Baptist Trailhead from Forest Lakes, but the property owner wanted "hikers only" on the trial. It's mouse habitat and they didn't want to deal with asking for a wider trail. Not sure of what the status is on that section. Nor if they could ever enforce the hiker only designation.

The Forest Lakes easement is there on the plats. It's just a matter of getting the County to move on opening it up. I don't think any of us care whether or not it has gravel on it and meets County specs. It would be great to see it opened up to the public. Maybe call your County Parks Public Advisory Board member and ask them to push to get it open?

http://bcc.elpasoco.com/Volunteer_Bo...sory_Board.htm

Candlestick Maker
    Looking at the developers website, you can see the Non-motorized El Paso Country Trail.

http://s178423172.onlinehome.us/corp/images/FLTrail.jpg

I'm guessing that's a direct extension of 715 (follow the trail straight downhill instead of taking the signed trail to the left). Essentially following North Beaver Creek. This doesn't really provide an easy exit to the stuff above the Academy (near Hay Creek), but could be made to work...
    baker

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Looking at the developers website, you can see the Non-motorized El Paso Country Trail.

http://s178423172.onlinehome.us/corp/images/FLTrail.jpg

I'm guessing that's a direct extension of 715 (follow the trail straight downhill instead of taking the signed trail to the left). Essentially following North Beaver Creek. This doesn't really provide an easy exit to the stuff above the Academy (near Hay Creek), but could be made to work...

IIRC it's an old double-track ranch road. Ready to go.

I'm with stupid
    how did it go kj?