(◣_◢)
    Mar 2010

Anyone participating in the "Bike to Work" day today?

In honor of Bike to Work day, I rode my heavy-ass Hardrock Sport Disc 29er 13.4 miles into work this morning. Colorado Springs has too many damn elevation changes to be doing this on a mountain bike. Getting a hybrid tomorrow! LOL

Distance: 13.4 miles
    Elapsed Time: 1:10:27
    Avg Speed: 11.4 mph
    Max Speed: 27.4 mph
    Avg Pace: 05' 16" per mile
    Min Altitude: 6,411 ft
    Max Altitude: 6,808 ft
    Last edited by lnferno; 05-21-2010 at 10:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I will be doing the Denver one on June 23rd. http://www3.drcog.org/biketowork

Last years bike to work day was hilarious in Denver...at least in my opinion. I rode my bike to work every single day, and always just wore my work clothes. If I were riding 10+ miles, then I'd think about some cycling clothing...but I stopped at one of the breakfast stops, and nearly everyone was decked the F out in brand spanking new cycling gear with cleats a clanking...and even bunch of new looking bikes. I honestly felt out of place at the stop with my jeans, collared shirt, and beater bike.

It was definitely a great day to give some business to local stores.... to say the least.

I dream on two wheels
    Bike to work day is great in the fact that you can pick out the people that only ride their that one day. I have never seen the combination of brand new lycra and squeaky chains anywhere else but at the any of the pancake stands on bike to work day.
    Whiskey

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I rode to work today in honor of my car in the shop getting a new transmission . Seriously though, I've been meaning to ride my bike to work ever since we moved (I only live 5 miles from the office) and between the new tranny and bike to work day, all the stars were in alignment today.

I rode my new SS which was pretty stupid--I have a 21t gear on it and the way to work is all slightly downhill. I was hardly able to pedal the whole way (but at least I didn't have to shower). It will be fun to ride home though. I'm going to have to make it a dinglespeed if I'm going to continue to use it on the road.

Think Circles!
    yeah.. I'd like to but riding the Niner WFO from westminster to Pearl St in boulder doesn't sound too fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I work in downtown denver and it's hilarious to see tons of people show up for work that day in team kits and are 40-50 pounds overweight.

Light freak
    Originally posted by cbrock450
    I work in downtown denver and it's hilarious to see tons of people show up for work that day in team kits and are 40-50 pounds overweight.
    Sounds like most Jeffco trails on the weekends

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hilarious Scar!!!!!
    Saying 40-50 pounds was being conservative.

Some of the team kits looked liked a bratwurst casing right before they pop when they have been on the grill too long!!

Mmmmmm......Johnsonville Brats Brats Brats Brats Brats

Quote Originally Posted by scar
    Sounds like most Jeffco trails on the weekends

Living the High Life
    I used to ride to work 2-3 times a week, but this year I've been a major slacker. Anyway, last year on btwd I noticed lots of people on regular old bikes riding too. When I see overweight people on bike paths I don't laugh, I think "good, keep it up and continue riding your bike". America is obese, more people should ride their bikes and people shouldn't be laughed at for getting out there. I'll get off my pedestal now.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Light freak

Ah, the softer side of Ithnu

Originally posted by Ithnu
    .., I think "good, keep it up and continue riding your bike".

Just as long as they are not thinking about riding on your private trail. If they do, then look out it will be a full-on flame war

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I totally agree with you lthnu!!

I just get a laugh out of this because the bike racks are full on ride your bike to work day (free food and drinks) and then the rest of the year the racks are empty

Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    I used to ride to work 2-3 times a week, but this year I've been a major slacker. Anyway, last year on btwd I noticed lots of people on regular old bikes riding too. When I see overweight people on bike paths I don't laugh, I think "good, keep it up and continue riding your bike". America is obese, more people should ride their bikes and people shouldn't be laughed at for getting out there. I'll get off my pedestal now.

crashes in parkinglot
    only 2 mile commute, the short way, I often take a longer route, which boosts it up to between 4 and 5 miles. Putting on the monster cross tires is one the best training tools I can think of. (warning roading comments on the horrizon) But I miss the effortless of the road slicks, silent, feels like flying without leaving the ground. (end roady comment)
    Down is the new up.

Thread Terrorist
    Can I 'take' my bike to work? I certainly can't ride it right now.

Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by scar
    Just as long as they are not thinking about riding on your private trail. If they do, then look out it will be a full-on flame war
    See guys, Scar gets it
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    3rd week into it, up the Santa Fe hill. Not bad actually, and I found a new use for my ipod. Drives at the signals have been pretty nice too, acknowledge me and flag, except those with cell phones stuck in their face who don't even think about checking right when turning on red. Good thing I do act like a pedestrian when crossing those battle zones. But I do miss cold morning where I didn't sweat. Now I have a great excuse to buy bigger ventilated backpack. I was looking at REI Venturi...

not actually bad :)
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    Drives at the signals have been pretty nice too, acknowledge me and flag,
    Was wondering how your commuting was going!
    Good job.
    BTW - the "one finger salute" isn't considered a wave or being acknowledged!
    LOL
    Old Codger

Goofing off?
    I celebrated BTWD yesterday. Nothing like getting a little mud on you during the morning commute going under HWY 36 around Upper Chruch Ranch Lake.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    the "one finger salute" isn't considered a wave or being acknowledged!
    LOL
    But I do cheat the first 10 miles to Mineral station, so I'm still doing just half. By BTWD rolls in on June something, I may be able to do 2/3rd... This afternoon coming back I did feel that I could go on for another 10 miles but I was way late getting home. At this point, I'm sticking to 21sp MTB with knobby tires. Skinny on an MTB just doesn't feel right.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Always in. And this year my arms won't be broken! We'll be hosting 2 or 4 bike stations in Boulder. I'll let you know where the good food will be--at this winters BtWD it was Evol burritos at the downtown city building. Alfalfa's/Wild Oats/Whole Foods is usually a good one too...

We'll be a bingo card place too, for those of you folks who do that. My wife Karli is on the planning committee for this day, so we try to help out with everything.

ride yo bikes, don't drive if you can.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

Rolling
    When is "drive-to-work-the-long-way and waste-lots-of-gas day"? I want something fresh and deviant. Maybe there could be smoking and whiskey shot stops on the way....five breakfast stops on a bike commute is getting old.
    Last edited by lidarman; 05-22-2010 at 10:04 AM.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Maybe there could be smoking and whiskey shot stops on the way....

Ha!
    I live in your fantasy world

Stop by sometime, eh
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs